Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Fantasy-fag or a Sci-Fi-fag?

Are you a fantasy-fag or a sci-fi-fag?

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fantasy fag. Except for some of older books like Dune and Hitchhiker I never really got any chance to read any good scifi books, thus my lower interest on it.
A bit out of topic but if I want to get to scifi what should I read?

Original Foundation (not the later novels), and I, Robot by Asimov.
Most novels by Philip K. Dick
Starship Troopers and Door Into Summer by Heinlein
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Ringworld by Larry Niven
That's a good start.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I'm with the sci-fi.

But fantasy can be pretty great, Tolkien is my favorite author.

I would like to see fantasy like Heretic & Hexen type stuff with dimensions, ethereal crossbows and hell worlds, not more poor imitations of high fantasy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm on the camp of both, but have a special fondness for oldschool sword and sorcery, and imaginative fantasy that strays from the common elves & dwarves & prophecies tropes.

It's called fiction. Don't just repeat what everyone else has already done. I don't need yet another "group of heroes saves world from ancient evil because prophecy says so" novel, but I also don't need yet another Star Trek clone.

Be creative.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bitch please~ New readers crave for originality.

Old readers know there's no such thing as originality. We just want well-done writings, that is good enough.

EDIT: and okay, some interesting characters as well. They are actually harder than they sounds.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
There should always be a third option. What if you want your games to look like this?

iu

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm with the sci-fi.

But fantasy can be pretty great, Tolkien is my favorite author.

I would like to see fantasy like Heretic & Hexen type stuff with dimensions, ethereal crossbows and hell worlds, not more poor imitations of high fantasy.

425C2E8321A21EC99282FC970279E5DC5DB8754A

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm a sci-fi slut, whore, fag and cuck. I bathe in sci-fi jizz and cuddle a sci-fi fuck pillow at night. If sci-fi fucked me in the ass I would reach underneath and caress its hairy balls.

Fantasy is cool too though.

DraQ

Arcane
Sci-Fi. I mean I don't object to good fantasy, the problem is that fantasy is almost universally the domain of low-effort writers as standardized cliches reign supreme and it's genuinely harder to write anything meaningfully interesting in fantasy due to looseness of its constraints.

Of course by Sci-Fi I mean proper Sci-Fi, not all the homeopathically diluted SWs and STs.

I'm a sci-fi slut, whore, fag and cuck. I bathe in sci-fi jizz and cuddle a sci-fi fuck pillow at night. If sci-fi fucked me in the ass I would reach underneath and caress its hairy balls.

Fantasy is cool too though.
Sci-Fi's balls are so massive they have formed event horizons - refer to no-hair theorem.
:obviously:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I barely tolerate fantasy, purely because there's not enough good SciFi games. It's not like I don't find magic or dragons and shit appealing, but majority of fantasy worlds are just plain pants-on-head stupid and lack basic logic, let alone consistency. Of course there are exceptions, like the setting from Witcher (shamelessly ripped off in Dragon Age...), but generally I find fantasy world's serviceable, whereas SciFi I simply enjoy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sci-Fi's balls are so massive they have formed event horizons - refer to no-hair theorem.
:obviously:

Thorough research of online documentary footage has shown me that body hair is back, so I've gotta be willing to dive in.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fantasy-fag. Most sci-fi is either too dry or too depressing for my tastes.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fantasy

Preferably low fantasy
About low enough to reach the height of a spider, I presume?

You calling me a SPIDERLING?
Nah, I'm calling you short.

Watch your back around these parts, Eryfkrad. That's not a threat or anything. I'm just saying... you might want to make sure you turn your head a little more often on the streets.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fantasy

Preferably low fantasy
About low enough to reach the height of a spider, I presume?

You calling me a SPIDERLING?
Nah, I'm calling you short.

Watch your back around these parts, Eryfkrad. That's not a threat or anything. I'm just saying... you might want to make sure you turn your head a little more often on the streets.
And you keep an eye above you. Not a threat or anything, you never know when someone will step on you accidentally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom