Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Destroid

Arcane
Totally agree with Davis on the sixth sense thing. Either give it to everyone or remove it from the game.

Haba I don't think it would help. People barely use the chat system in these games, they just wanna make some XP.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haba I don't think it would help. People barely use the chat system in these games, they just wanna make some XP.

Yup, like said - made impossible by design. Bigger maps should give a bit more breathing room though. Typing in general is probably impossible, I was more thinking along the lines of mode advanced map tools (ie just drawing arrows to highlight advance path etc.). Any sort of tools to facilitate more teamwork and effective communication would be more than welcome.

Norfleet

Maybe some kind of big metal hand or arrow in the sky that can put green rings around teammates and draw big red X on something in the distance? That way you can tell when you have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
p18p3-lg.jpg

slprm_01-2.jpg

But then again, unlike desktop warriors like Norfleet, I've had formal military training so things like this are not completely alien to me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Also unlike 99% of gamers. Which is why shit like this would never work on public servers. I mean, it would be fucking awesome but would require that the game goes way more to the Arma side of things, and that this is also communicated to players - that its HARDCORE REALISM SIM!!!!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Yeah, but one can always take something from that and simplify it to necessary degree. It doesn't need to be super complex. Push here, defend here, fall back from here. Commander selects command from menu and draws a line on map, the plan is updated on player's minimap.

New entries to the market could at least experiment with the idea. I mean, WTGF is even worse than WoT in this regard.

Norfleet

But then again, unlike desktop warriors like Norfleet, I've had formal military training so things like this are not completely alien to me.
Heh, I'm no desktop warrior, either.

New entries to the market could at least experiment with the idea. I mean, WTGF is even worse than WoT in this regard.
You're forgetting a key point: Most game developers *ARE* desktop warriors, if that, and therefore, they don't know what to do either.

Nice, the planning phase in Rainbox Six was hella cool, good to see it isn't completely dead concept.
Yeah, but then it all fell apart if you tried to take it to multiplayer: The other players were disinclined to follow any kind of plan or instructions, and multiplayer tended to devolve into a bunny-hopping derpfest where people followed some kind of bizarre code of conduct not to cross some kind of line on the map so that they could play with the COOL SNIPER RIFLEZ, and you would generally be deemed a flaming homosexual should you attempt to use any kind of tactics.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can't say I'm terribly excited by AW any more.

- Everyone always knows when they are spotted and when they are being targeted
- Artillery is the same shit as WoT
- Hitpoints, just like WoT
- Little skill involved in hitting and penetrating tanks
- Same clusterfuck of random matches as WoT and WTGF (no cohesion, no co-ordination)

Frankly the concept of zero-armour tanks with hitpoints doesn't really resonate with me. I can see the point from gameplay balance perspective, but it just ruins the whole ideal of "tanks tanking it out". I mean, if you shoot an armoured Lada Niva with a 100+ mm gun...

Embarassing.

Wargaming are a bunch of wankers but atleast their game played like nothing else on the market.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can't say I'm terribly excited by AW any more.

- Everyone always knows when they are spotted and when they are being targeted
- Artillery is the same shit as WoT
- Hitpoints, just like WoT
- Little skill involved in hitting and penetrating tanks
- Same clusterfuck of random matches as WoT and WTGF (no cohesion, no co-ordination)

Frankly the concept of zero-armour tanks with hitpoints doesn't really resonate with me. I can see the point from gameplay balance perspective, but it just ruins the whole ideal of "tanks tanking it out". I mean, if you shoot an armoured Lada Niva with a 100+ mm gun...
Same here.

Destroid

Arcane
I'm not sure why you all keep responding to that when Davis has said most of those points are either wrong or in the process of being changed.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Come on now, you can go watch the video again yourself if you have doubts. Turn the volume off to not receive any misinformation.

I'm sure they will change things and tune them (and hopefully remove artillery), but beyond that? Do you think that they'll change core of the gameplay at this stage?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Should've gone with Gaijins solution and made arty strikes something light tanks get to call in from off-map. And their primary purpose is to stun the crew of tanks that remain in the area you're trying to deny.

Destroid

Arcane
Should've gone with Gaijins solution and made arty strikes something light tanks get to call in from off-map. And their primary purpose is to stun the crew of tanks that remain in the area you're trying to deny.

Although if you do that, please make some scaling of effectiveness with tier. Artillery is hilariously destructive on low end tanks with no armour as even moderately close hits can destroy them or lead to severe damage, but anything with a bit of armour can basically ignore any artillery unless they get an unlucky direct hit.

Destroid

Arcane
Do you know if they plan to put a server anywhere near Australia? My best case pings for WoT are over 100 and over 200 for Warthunder.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Submitted another application stuffie. Here's hoping they let me in so I can whine about how OP arty is. :M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
All arty users must die! :fight:

Much as I hate being artied, I did grind my way all the way up to G.W. Panther. (I didn't even freexp past the Grille... ugh).
Unless you're playing Bert the Destroyer from the brit line, playing arty is just as - if not even more - fustrating as being shot at. Nothing like waiting 30 seconds for a reload. Then you fire a shot at an enemy while your aiming circle is fully zoomed in and the rng decrees that it goes wide. Then you wait for another 30 seconds..... Bleeeeeurgh.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I signed up for beta at the my.com.

A problem, maybe, in profile settings I can't get the Your email has not been verified verification email to send.
I think spam filter is blocking. So what address needs to be entered into spam filer? I find My.com's super accessible site design difficult to find any relevant information. What a pain in the ass site that is.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, it's good to hear from jingles that arty is being reworked. :P
Personally I would have preferred it removed entirely or turned into off-map arty that some light tanks get to call in on an area they can see. The problem with a WoT-like solution is that it's either going to be extremely fustrating for regular players to die out of nowhere (like in WoT), or extremely fustrating for the arty that they need 15 seconds to aim, 30 seconds to reload and half their shots still miss because of the rng (also WoT. Worst of both worlds).

A personal favourite of mine would be to have arty shells only do a small amount of damage, but instead lowering the effectiveness of all crew by a large margin. Maybe even panicking them for a couple of seconds and taking control of the vehicle from the player if there are repeated close hits. Damage dealt to the enemy tank while shellshocked by arty would count as assisted damage same way that spotters get it in WoT. If artys main purpose was to make sure enemy tanks fired 50% less accurate and reloaded 50% slower while the aim stabilization after turning the gun took 50% longer, they could in turn be allowed to fire faster and more accurately. It'd make play more interesting for the arty player while still not resulting in those dead-from-nowhere situations we all know and hate. If this makes arty too weak, you could look into how they damage modules - especially external things like optics and tracks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom