Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Off map arty is boring and doesn't really allow any proper counterplay. I think most people complaining about arty are too preoccupied with how WoT handles it which to say the least is incredibly bad.

Problem number one is that it's very inconsistent and not very fun to play as or against. It either kills with one shot from no where or doesn't do shit at all. If shots consistently did no more damage than direct shot from tank would do everyone would be much happier about it. To put it simply game mechanics that lean heavily towards random results are frustrating and just not very fun for anyone who knows what they are doing.

Problem number two is that you're getting hit out of nowhere and person on receiving end can't really do much about it but hope his team mates will silence the guns before he dies. Meaning lack of counterplay. I think my solution of letting arty do targeted shots only if target is lighted up by scout deals with this pretty nicely. If you're getting sniped by arty (and remember no bullshit one shot kills) there is something you can do about it, find and kill scout that's lightning you up. He has to be somewhere in your line of sight. Can't spot him? Try breaking line of sight then. Of course we can't have arty players completely depending on scouts to do anything so otherwise they should be able to do inaccurate area barrages. This could be another way to differentiate different arty pieces. Some may be more suited for area damage, some may be better for sniping, some may be more accurate with their barrages so they depend on scouts less.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I think there is a video out there - maybe on the facebook page (?) - which has a quick preview of the arty changes.

The new arty changes should be in the next round of testing - I'm not sure what I am allowed to say except that it is pretty different.

I guess I can say what the video says...

New camera perspective - hard to describe - easy when you see it
Arty rate of fire increased
Arty damage decreased
The end result of the above 3, is that arty now sort of behaves more like a long range tank. Hard to explain.

Also:
Arty that fires immediately visible to enemy arty with counter-battery capability. The end result of this is that arty, while probably still staying in the rear, has to (or should) move after firing. Once all enemy arty is dead, you of course can stay stationary.
specialty rounds are being "investigated" such as illumination and jamming. illumination, in addition to being useful on night maps, would reduce stealth on vehicles with a certain radius. The jamming round would turn off your minimap and disable a lot of HUD functionality. Not final and there are more ideas coming.

So a lot of the alpha testing that was done, both rounds, was mainly for mechanics, not balance. We are using that information we gathered on mechanics to continue to balance (but in a game like this, balance is never done I would imagine).

A lot of the stuff he covered on upgrades and vehicle unlocks is changing - for the better I think - but I can't elaborate at this time.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Skill Matchmaker

We do realize that this is a very hot and important topic for many people interested in our game. Therefore, we are pleased to confirm that yes, the teams will not be matched only by their vehicles, but also by player skill. Please note that this does not mean that good players will be segregated from the average ones. That would mean punishing the good players for being good by giving them tougher opponents and we don’t want that. On the other hand, we do understand that when one team consists of top players and the other of new ones, it’s not fun for either side and therefore, both sides will be balanced to have players of roughly equal skill present in each team. If one team has three extremely good players, the other will have the same (within certain margin of course).

In case you are wondering how skill is measured in Armored Warfare – we developed an internal rating system, based on multiple factors (including winrate, average XP and other things). However, here’s the thing – we will not disclose the exact formula to prevent users from „playing“ the system. This rating is internal and will not be displayed in battles – based on previous experience with a similar system, we really don’t feel like this would contribute to positive game environment in any way.

O.K., fuck WG.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Much as I mocked Obsidian - and I still prefer WW2 tanks to modern ones - I've got to say they seem to be making a lot of sensible decisions with this.

[edit]

Still, this game had better have the FV107 Scimitar as a playable tank. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Wild Slop

Arcane
Support Service
Hello!

Unfortunately, your mail server does not accept requests.

Please use another mailbox (not @comcast.net) for signing up.
If they could just tell me what to enter into spam filter, like I had asked, I wouldn't have to.
3 day wait My.com customer service response.

Destroid

Arcane
I wonder how many of these games the player base can support. I suppose that base is rather enormous, but we will soon have 3 tank games, 2 plane games and 1 boat game with broadly the same mechanics and varying levels of integration.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I signed up for the Beta but never heard anything.

Oh well, back to WoT.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Want beta? Pay money!

The first one-week Early Access test kickstarts a series of tests that will eventually lead to the upcoming Open Beta. Apart from the players who purchased a Founder's Pack, a limited selection of players that submitted for “beta testing” (now “early access tests”) as well as players lucky enough to win keys given out during competitions will also be invited to each of Early Access tests.

“This is our first chance to show the game to a larger audience, and we invite everyone to join up and help shape what Armored Warfare becomes." said Feargus Urquhart, Founder and CEO of Obsidian Entertainment.
"We have been thrilled with the feedback we've been getting from our testers and the community at large, and now it's time to move to the next phase. We have spent countless hours of development time to craft what, we hope, will be the ultimate experience for tank and armored vehicle enthusiasts. With your help we can make that a reality. So, login and come join the fight with us in Armored Warfare!”

The First Early Access test will feature PvP battles across 4 maps with uniquely different climate zones and settings: from port area in desert sands to snow-covered town. Players will be able to test 38 modern vehicles from 6 tiers covering all 5 types of vehicle classes in the game, including: main battle tanks, AFV’s, light tanks, tank destroyers and artillery.

To get a guaranteed access to this and further tests, as well as early access to OBT and other advantages and rewards including premium and exclusive vehicles, gamers can purchase one of the three available Founder’s Packs:

• Soldier of Fortune - A bundle for new soldiers of fortune that contains everything you need to start your mercenary career at only $14.99
  • Mercenary Commander - A bundle for experienced commanders that contains a premium vehicle as well as gold and premium status upgrade along with everything from the Soldier of Fortune bundle at only $29.99
  • Lord of War - A bundle for the most ruthless of mercenaries who make no compromises and take it all. Contains exclusive vehicles as well as all the bonuses from other bundles at only $69.99
We are looking forward to seeing you on the battlefields of Armored Warfare!

http://aw.my.com/us/news/general/founders-packs-early-access-coming

HNNNNNNNNNNG!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Signed up for this. :salute:
Look for an Ulminati in game, then make sure to show me your rear armour and stand still

Shadenuat

Arcane
So instead of getting shot by arty once or twice you get hammered every second throughout the whole game. With your modules constantly flying off probably.
That looks even more annoying.
Although cat&mouse and the messaging system is done well.

Why do game designers copy each other so loyally? Wouldn't it be better to start a game without arty? Such an easy and all winning design decision, instead they spend resources on something that people generally hate and have negative emotions about it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Meh, I'd have liked it more if that went 100% real. As in, forget hit points. Go straight for disabling modules to disable a tank. Make it reals.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
"Got him!"
"Got him!"
"Got him!"
"Got him!"
"It seems we missed"
"Got him!"
"Got him!"
"Got him!"

> enemy finally turns turret, fires back and wrecks you with a single snap shot

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I like the arty so far. But that's just from watching videos. We'll have to see at what rate the modules are affected before final judgement can be passed. I am especially fond of how it's more consistent. I'm also a huge fan of arty being lit up when they fire. No more sitting still in a corner all match. Especially since a semi-competent arty player will call out the position of enemy arty to any AFVs trying to sneak around the flanks.

One thing I wonder about though: Jingles said the accuracy of the info the other team receives increases after every shot, so long as you don't move. So first shot lights up your sector on the minimap, second shot lights up your position on th eminimap. Third shot makes you visible for 10 seconds etc. How far do you need to move between shots to reset the counter on this info? Is it enough to just tap forward/backward and move .5m to go back to having just a sector lit up?

It'd be cool if arty could shellshock crews. That is - a hit/near miss from arty gave -x% to all crew skills for y seconds. You'd still be able to control your tank, but you'll be shooting less accurately, reloading slower, driving slower etc. Count damage dealt to tanks while debuffed in this fashion as assisted damage.

Meh, I'd have liked it more if that went 100% real. As in, forget hit points. Go straight for disabling modules to disable a tank. Make it reals.
That'd be warthunder then. You even get a nice x-ray view in arcade mode showing you exactly what modules/crew were damaged
WarThunder_KillCam_2.jpg

And Haba is right - if you're a bad player, you'll be pumping 10-15 shots into an enemy tank in the exact same spot. You may take out a module or two and a crewmember. But all your subsequent shots will do no further damage since modules are already wrecked. It's especially hilarious to see WoT players pumping shot after shot into the commanders cupola, penetrating and doing 0 module damage.

Last edited:

Norfleet

One thing I wonder about though: Jingles said the accuracy of the info the other team receives increases after every shot, so long as you don't move. So first shot lights up your sector on the minimap, second shot lights up your position on th eminimap. Third shot makes you visible for 10 seconds etc. How far do you need to move between shots to reset the counter on this info? Is it enough to just tap forward/backward and move .5m to go back to having just a sector lit up?
Well, if it were up to me to code this, I would make it so that further information is revealed if the newly-revealed information is consistent with the previous information. So if you fired a second shot from the same sector, then further information would be revealed because you're still consistent with the previous information.

But that would be sensible, and these people never do anything sensible, so expect anything like the forward/back exploit to exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom