Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

artsy/2deep4u games that are actually fun

v1rus

Arcane
Well, after having a blast playing The Witness and Antichamber, I decided to give pretentious artsy faggotry deep games another chance. Already got a couple of recommendations, but more, the merrier . And I'd surely appreciate the discussion that would ensue. Oh the discussion.

pippin

The Void?

Also Eye: Divine Cybermancy. Trying to understand what's going on and what you're supposed to do is an art on itself.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Realms of Arkania HD

No idea really, but I watched some guy on Youtube play Ether One and no-one knew what the fuck was going on, but the atmosphere was great. "Ether One is a first person adventure that deals with the fragility of the human mind."

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Another World / Out of This World (1991) is wonderfully atmospheric with an innovative artistic style.

The Void / Tension (2009) or Pathologic (2005, though this is being remade) for impenetrable Russian soulfulness.

Ico (2001) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) would have been considered masterpieces of the Symbolist movement if they had somehow been made a century earlier.

Flower (2009) is very short but well-done as far as it goes.

For aesthetically-pleasing games with relatively conventional stories, try Okami (2006), or Supergiant Games (Bastion 2011, Transistor 2014), or Vanillaware games (Odin Sphere 2007, Muramasa 2009, Dragon's Crown 2013).

RuySan

Augur
Does Life is Strange counts?? I suppose so, since there's level where you're on an Art Gallery.

If so, Life is Strange. Loved it.

Also:
Limbo
Hotline Miami
Braid

Severian Silk

There's that overhead pixely ARPG with the pink graphics released recently. Forgot its name. People seem to like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Void?

Also Eye: Divine Cybermancy. Trying to understand what's going on and what you're supposed to do is an art on itself.

142067651053.png

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ico (2001) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) would have been considered masterpieces of the Symbolist movement if they had somehow been made a century earlier.

Shadow of the Colossus is legitimately one of (if not) the best action adventure games ever made. The artiness actually helped it out because they striped out anything that was not needed. Too many games get loaded with filler, but not SotC. There's no unneeded combat, no exposition, and no hand holding. It's a game that feels epic and thoughtful without many characters, more than a paragraph of dialogue, or needing to tell you how epic it is.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Marauder - Man of Prey
collapse of society, seeing your neighbours fighting with you for survival, seeing cops'n'soldats being your enemies - feels like The Road light.
Deus Ex - you think why I played that thing? Why play something cumbersome and not twitch shooting for adhd kids? They have something common with X - Files...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom