Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Balrum

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why do they have a RT mechanic (hunger / sleep) in a TB game?
Why not? TB is for combat AFAIK, everything else is real time, is it not?

V_K

Arcane
Why not? TB is for combat AFAIK, everything else is real time, is it not?
Because when you play a TB game you expect it to challenge your intelligence, not your reflexes. There's literally no reason the game shouldn't pause while you're not doing anything, except for those fireball traps that would become very trivial otherwise.
I'm seriously on the verge about this game - it has some brilliant bits (the variety of spells and conditions, some quests), and then it has some really dumb bits (like the ability to just walk off - literally - a splintered leg, or - the worst offender - your build having very little effect of gameplay).

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
On a scale from 1 to 10, would you recommend this game for a guy who likes AoD, Underrail, and other ISO RPGs?

V_K

Arcane
On a scale from 1 to 10, would you recommend this game for a guy who likes AoD, Underrail, and other ISO RPGs?
I'll just repost this from steam discussions:
Stealth enemies that web/paralyze you then poison you for good meansure? Check
Enemies that move in pairs, can drain your mana and heal each other when damaged? Check
Enemies that spew high damage AOE acid clouds? Check
Ability to meet enemies that kill you with one hit when you're still first level? Check
Ability to stumle into areas where you have snowballs change in hell of surviving? Check

Mortmal

Arcane

This game requires the same masochistic tendencies. However , unless you are very bored get it at -75% or in an humble bundle wich will probably happen in a few months. Finding this game was like digging in mud , and ending up with a rough semi precious gem.

There's clearly an ultima feel , many placeable , atmopsheric dungeons, lot of stuff to interact it, yes clearly the same kind of gameplay,good oldschool gameplay when ultima was turn based. So like it ? You also need to like games like harvest moon , building your farm is mandatory else you will run out of food and potions.Thats quite the chore, build farm and every day water, manure, plant, click to harvest, process into potions, its long and tedious but some people like that, i hope you are amongst them.

Still interested ? Balance is completely off, magic is weak compare to melee, archery is complete shit , ecomony is garbage. Some crafting skills are absolutely mandatory like alchemy and farming, others completely suck like craft armor and weapons, survivalism is completely useless too. You like to build a character and min max ? well you can find books in the wilderness to give you stats, but be carefull if your base stats are too low you cant use them, but if they are too high you cant read them either...Same for craft skill book, you may have spent rare and costly learning points into a craft to jsut find the book with the skill for free in the next hour.The game is an absolute nightmare for a min maxer.

On a scale 1-10 for a guy liking aod underrail and iso rpg ? 3/10 , its simply not a rpg. For a guy liking AOD underaill AND harvest moon 6/10 . Eschalon with chores pretty much sums it , a bit better maybe .

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Checking it out now, having been intrigued by it's micro-management aspects that reminded me of a much more elaborate Rune Factory (which I actually liked...a lot, but avoid the first one and go right for the sequels). One thing I hate, however, is how blurry/pixilated it becomes when you zoom in. Wish they could fix that because if this game does all it seems to be able to do, it could be quite fun.

V_K

Arcane
building your farm is mandatory else you will run out of food and potions
I dunno, I'm not too far into the game yet, but I don't feel farming is mandatory at all. Fireballing the deers takes care of hunger, and keeping well fed and hydrated takes care of health regeneration. And since your stats don't make that much of a difference, you can always switch to melee once your mana runs out.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Stealth enemies that web/paralyze you then poison you for good meansure? Check
Enemies that move in pairs, can drain your mana and heal each other when damaged? Check
Enemies that spew high damage AOE acid clouds? Check
Ability to meet enemies that kill you with one hit when you're still first level? Check
Ability to stumle into areas where you have snowballs change in hell of surviving? Check
Looks nice.

How are the dungeons : Filled with puzzles or not? Filled with a lot of generic suff or cleverly handcrafted stuff or both? Filled with a few cool encounters or a lot of the same packs of monsters over and over or both?
I'll probaly try the game someday anyway, but if it suck at least I'll be prepared :).

Mortmal

Arcane
building your farm is mandatory else you will run out of food and potions
I dunno, I'm not too far into the game yet, but I don't feel farming is mandatory at all. Fireballing the deers takes care of hunger, and keeping well fed and hydrated takes care of health regeneration. And since your stats don't make that much of a difference, you can always switch to melee once your mana runs out.
Hunger is manageable, but its ore convenient to jsut famr the food , hunting deer with fireball was pretty nice to get baked meat indeed. But to get potions, you will need farming , i am really burning a lot of them now.

V_K

Arcane
How are the dungeons : Filled with puzzles or not? Filled with a lot of generic suff or cleverly handcrafted stuff or both? Filled with a few cool encounters or a lot of the same packs of monsters over and over or both?
First and foremost, they're all quite small. Generally, the balance of puzzles/combat/exploration is fine, but I wouldn't call any of the dungeons I visited very memorable. As for cool encounters, well, thing is at low levels trying to take on two or more enemies at once is almost certain death, which limits the possibilities for interesting encounters somewhat. Usually, there's 1-2 monster types per dungeon, but since the dungeons are small, and the monsters themselves are quite different from each other, they don't get too tiresome.
Keep in mind, though, that I'm only 10-ish hours in the game (which is supposed to be 100+ hours long), so things might change either way later.

V_K

Arcane
am really burning a lot of them now.
I suppose, you're playing on hardest difficulty?
I think this game might be kinda like Lords of Xulima, in that you have to swallow your pride and play on normal to avoid the more derpy gameplay elements (grinding in LoX, farming in Balrum).

Mortmal

Arcane
am really burning a lot of them now.
I suppose, you're playing on hardest difficulty?
I think this game might be kinda like Lords of Xulima, in that you have to swallow your pride and play on normal to avoid the more derpy gameplay elements (grinding in LoX, farming in Balrum).
Thats exactly the same thing than lox... Should have started at lowest, as the only thing it does is reducing enemy HP.

Tolias

Educated
The shittiness of the map is triggering me. Where exactly is necromancer's tower?

Also how do you guys deal with light in dungeons? So far I've been dropping torches every 10 tiles, but it seems horribly inefficient. Is there a way to carry a torch? Or an item that provides light?

Last edited:

Geckabor

Savant
Also how do you guys deal with light in dungeons? So far I've been dropping torches every 10 tiles, but it seems horribly inefficient. Is there a way to carry a torch? Or an item that provides light?
Press "T" to use your torch. You can also click on some small icon on the bottom left corner instead.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The shittiness of the map is triggering me. Where exactly is necromancer's tower?

i got an artifact that makes torches useless. it lights everything up for 200sec and then after 19 more sec i can use it again.

Tao

Savant
So far with a few hours played: It surprises me that the game don't pause the clock AT ALL when a reading windows popups, neither it let you pause when you want other that by pressing exit. Also that the load/save are in the same box (i already double click intended to save but instead i load a previous saved game 3 o 4 times :argh:).

It has a lot more of nuisances for me to keep playing and i cant bother right now to spent the time to overcome them, if the magic system were as deep as the farming/building i would have give it a try but sadly is not. So i think ill drop it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
anyone found another way passed the locked gates at the bottom of the village well? quest log says there must be another way in, but none of the dungeons and caves in the area lead into it.

Mortmal

Arcane
anyone found another way passed the locked gates at the bottom of the village well? quest log says there must be another way in, but none of the dungeons and caves in the area lead into it.
You need to finish chapter 1 to discover it . And by the way discover the plot is cringe worthy ,its impossible to make it more cliché than that. No seriously fallout 4 writer is umberto eco compared to these guys.

Grandpa is not your real grandpa! You are the prince in exile and you will battle the ancient awaken evil.... How could it be worse, its written by 10 year old hungarians.

Mortmal

Arcane
And by the way discover the plot is cringe worthy ,its impossible to make it more cliché than that.
Try Antharion.
I tried a little bit, was really put of by the graphics and furies , as there was nothing especially good ,too simplistic,nothing to really look forward i diddnt bother at all. Tbh not sure am i going to bother to finish balrum either.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This game is okay, but the crafting is way to integral to the game. It is a significant part of the content of them game including quests, etc.

I would give it a 3. I would give it a 7 is you listed Eschalon trilogy as a named example. It is far more like Eschalon than AoD or Underrail.

For genral crpg fans of any type of crpg I would give this a recommendation of 3 to 6, depending on how much you like looting and crafting and character building.

But, I would also permanently ban anyone who admitted to buying, playing, or liking Stardew valley. That type of deviance must be stopped at all costs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game gets old very fast, the traversal speed is ridiculously slow, the combat encounters very repetitive, the quests clichéd as fuck, the exploration not interesting at all.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Can you craft a potion that makes you walk faster?

Is potion crafting even that robust? I could see a game like this benefiting from a broke ass Alchemy system a la Morrowind. I won't complain about the walking speed if I can craft a +49 move speed potion that lasts 4923 seconds.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom