Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Balrum

Mortmal

Arcane
Game gets old very fast, the traversal speed is ridiculously slow, the combat encounters very repetitive, the quests clichéd as fuck, the exploration not interesting at all.
I am at chapter 4 already and that wont change your mind, the desert and waste plains are not interisting to explore at all, just one big square...Worse i am completely underleveled. finished chapter 3 at level 6, now going to croc island, i must take down a level 11 croc to gain access to the crypt, i must have missed something. Usually the combat is such a chore i skipped many encounters, the golems are really a pain n the ass to fight, plus all the maintenance potion crafting , stuff to repair surrounding it.
The more i am into the game the less i like it , would not recommend to anyone except bubbles.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Game gets old very fast, the traversal speed is ridiculously slow, the combat encounters very repetitive, the quests clichéd as fuck, the exploration not interesting at all.

At least three of these apply to the Codex GOTY 2015. (And if you ask others, four if not all of them.)
Must be good!

:mrpresident:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is in fact a bit of Underrail-ish vibe in Balrum, yeah.
Yeah and I'm impressed how/if people don't see it.
Crafting focused, slow moving, single character RPG with turn based combat and loot,loot,loot.
Different settings and "farming" stuff differ them basically, apart from the quality of the different parts of course.

V_K

Arcane
Different settings and "farming" stuff differ them basically, apart from the quality of the different parts of course.
I'd add character system to that - Balrum lacks Underrail's tons of options and there's a lot less room for experimentation/hybridisation.

V_K

Arcane
Sorry guys to interrupt you but in Underrail you CAN completely ignore crafting if you really want to, contrary to - as i understand - this masterpiece.
You can ignore crafting in Balrum as well, at least on lower difficulties and if you don't mind waiting a couple of minute every now and then to let your character regenerate. And even if you do mind, the only kind of crafting you can't ignore is preparing healing (and optionally mana) potions.
I suspect Mortmal burns through potions like hell just because he's severely underleveled - I'm nearing level 5 and I'm not even out of chapter 1 yet.

Mortmal

Arcane
Sorry guys to interrupt you but in Underrail you CAN completely ignore crafting if you really want to, contrary to - as i understand - this masterpiece.
You can ignore crafting in Balrum as well, at least on lower difficulties and if you don't mind waiting a couple of minute every now and then to let your character regenerate. And even if you do mind, the only kind of crafting you can't ignore is preparing healing (and optionally mana) potions.
I suspect Mortmal burns through potions like hell just because he's severely underleveled - I'm nearing level 5 and I'm not even out of chapter 1 yet.

Shit... really ?You are supposed to kill every mobs then. You need some serious dedication, a mind of steel . I'd rather do antyhing else .

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry guys to interrupt you but in Underrail you CAN completely ignore crafting if you really want to, contrary to - as i understand - this masterpiece. Eh, whatever, haters gonna hate.
Sure you can but then you miss like 50% of the game's point.

V_K

Arcane
I have to disagree. Other than perspective I get no Underrail vibe from Balrum.
It's perspective, slow walking speed, single-character turn-based combat, 80% of the loot being crafting components, and the fact that even the simplest of trash mob have special abilities and can seriously fuck you up.

Mortmal

Arcane
You need some serious dedication, a mind of steel . I'd rather do antyhing else .
Like plowing, watering, manuring and harvesting herbs? :D

The real deal is more fun than doing it in balrum, , i also baked a real a pie . Maybe20XP acording what balrum awards, still at level 1 couldnt find any trainer in the village . Well i cant cast magic but in balrum with such mana regeneration rate its about the same thing .Hunting rats with a pointy stick is possible here too. So yes i wasted 13 euros on balrum when i had already everything .

FGKXgZA.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell. You can build stuff in this game only in one location?! I thought this is going to be awesome sandbox open-world cRPG with some storyline to keep me busy when I'm building stuff and harvesting crops and hunting animals, but also making building etc. an integral part of the rest of the game, but it turns out to be an average indie cRPG (inferior to Eschalon too!) with nothing else, because you can build only in your "safe heaven" so it doesn't have an impact on the rest of the game. This is bullshit, I'll ask for a refund.

Mortmal

Arcane
What the hell. You can build stuff in this game only in one location?! I thought this is going to be awesome sandbox open-world cRPG with some storyline to keep me busy when I'm building stuff and harvesting crops and hunting animals, but also making building etc. an integral part of the rest of the game, but it turns out to be an average indie cRPG (inferior to Eschalon too!) with nothing else, because you can build only in your "safe heaven" so it doesn't have an impact on the rest of the game. This is bullshit, I'll ask for a refund.
The building part is completely disconnected from the main game, its a safe place you teleport to and you can use any tiles your learned. Of course you have to spend precious skill points into carpentry, points you cant affordas at equal level mosnters shred you . There's never any event, no invasion, no reason to build big thick wall instead of a wood cabin.So yes you can build a penis shaped house, but why bother , no one going to see it, its not ultima online.

Mortmal

Arcane
Hmm so.. due to popular demand here's my recipe for the apple pie :
First the paste : Called "pate brisée " in french not sure how it translate , 300g of flour 150 g of butter ,1/2 a small spoon of salt , 3 big spoons of sugar, 8 cl (80ml) of milk . Yes milk , not water .Cut the butter in small dices , and mix it with the flour, sugar and salt , you will get some sand like texture, mix with the tips of your fingers, or if you use a robot, use the hook.Now add the milk and mix .Spread the paste in the pie mold (butter the mold first).
Now slice 4-5 apples (remove the middle ) spread them on the paste . Mix up 3 eggs , 25cl of cream 100 g of sugar and one sachet of vanilla sugar in a big bowl , eventually you could add some cinnamon too. Pour it over the apples and put in the oven at 200°c for 30 to 40 min

You could also pre bake the paste before adding apple and creams , it depends on how efficient your oven is .Yes you could use industrial paste , but its the codex , no dumbing down, i wont scale my pie to your level.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hmm so.. due to popular demand here's my recipe for the apple pie :
First the paste : Called "pate brisée " in french not sure how it translate , 300g of flour 150 g of butter ,1/2 a small spoon of salt , 3 big spoons of sugar, 8 cl (80ml) of milk . Yes milk , not water .Cut the butter in small dices , and mix it with the flour, sugar and salt , you will get some sand like texture, mix with the tips of your fingers, or if you use a robot, use the hook.Now add the milk and mix .Spread the paste in the pie mold (butter the mold first).
Now slice 4-5 apples (remove the middle ) spread them on the paste . Mix up 3 eggs , 25cl of cream 100 g of sugar and one sachet of vanilla sugar in a big bowl , eventually you could add some cinnamon too. Pour it over the apples and put in the oven at 200°c for 30 to 40 min

You could also pre bake the paste before adding apple and creams , it depends on how efficient your oven is .Yes you could use industrial paste , but its the codex , no dumbing down, i wont scale my pie to your level.

Challenge accepted
noqOSJ4.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried my best, but I can't enjoy this game. The writing is so shit, everything just feels meh; I literally can't stand more than 2 minutes of play time. The furthest I've gotten is delivering meat to the next door neighbour.

Sloul

Savant
Same as above.
Gameplay is really lacking in general, crafting is not solid, there are many things to build but they are completely useless, all you need to know is how to make bread and bows and you got yourself unlimited resources.
Magic is completely stupid, its just a matter of Fireball and Heal, you cant put light on your head during the night, you cannot do anything cool, its just a different set of Damage output/cooldown than Warrior and Bowman.
So basically you have 3 archetypes warrior, mage, bowman all very boring.
Also, imo, interface is mongoloid, notably for crafting.

Quest design not so bad, there are hidden ways to resolve some of them for better outcome, also maps/graphics are pretty enchanting. Story isn't bad (I am at chapter 2), but I can't play the game anymore, there is just no fun.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tried this since it resembles Eschalon.
Crafting aspects seemed nice.
Was getting into it.
Took a starter quest to feed some pigs, clicked on a pile of dirt in the pen.
Suddenly fighting a giant larva that casts "Mirror" to create 4 duplicates of itself.
Larva then casts poison cloud that takes 33% of my health in one turn.
Eats my pet, then me.
I read the Codex thread before deciding whether to restart the game.
Main title music is at least nice.
Finish thread, reach decision.
Nope.avi.

Eschalon Book 1 and Book 2, despite their flaws, are worth playing. Book 3 is not, and this is worse than Book 3. This isn't even Eschalon: The Fan Fiction-quality.

Very hard to recommend this to anyone.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not bad, but it isn't good either. For that price you can buy many actually fun games, so why bother?
I guess if you belong to a small crowd of people who wants to grow crops in their RPGs but have not heard of Rune Factory, Stardew Valley, Ultima Online...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom