Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

set

Cipher
Seriously, fuck you guys for taking walks. I paid $15 american dollars, or was it $10? I forget. Anyway, I demand you finish this tomorrow. I don't care if you think you need to eat, but this shit should already be done by now. Who the fuck cares if you get rickets or something, we'll have VR soon enough. Not like you need those legs for much longer anyway.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
eric__s reaction to those horrible threats issued against him.

cboyardee2.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1332584

Video Teaser Coming Tomorrow

Just a quick note. Not many of you saw that we area actually showing the game at the Indie MEGABOOTH again for PAX Prime, but it's gonna be a right hoot.

We have 10x15 Booth and will be showing each day Friday through Monday, August 28th through 31st.

We're going to be focusing on combat a little more in the playable demo, specifically some of the cooler enemies we've been working with and keeping under wraps.

But! Before we start showing all that stuff off, we are starting the festivities off with a video treat that I know at least 5% of you will love. We are keeping it a secret for tonight .

Here is a hint though … it has to do with The Cyberdwarf and it has to do with this bonkersass concept art that is below. Hazard a guess and prepare to be stupefied and sterilized with awe when you see what those naughty ToG Bad Boys have wrought over these last few weeks.

4f98f01033f3c16c3264b845ad3b97fd_original.jpg

The Cyberdwarf ... Realized

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Barkley 2 is shaping up. Backer money well spent:

Metal Gear Solid V, move aside. Barkley 2 is here.

It's a literal and actual parody of the FF VII remake trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1333161

At last, the promise has been made ...

Mystical Greetings ToGsters,

The time is at hand to show off our new teaser trailer. That’s coming at the bottom of this short update. But first I just want to break down what we are actually going to be showing at PAX Prime and where we are with a playable build. Our booth is gonna be BONKERS. That’s the first thing. We’ll have 3 separate little areas as follows.

The Wizard Booth (Astral Lounge)
This is the same booth as we’ve done before (if you remember it has the full character creation with tarot cards and mystical gumball machines), but since possibly only bhroom is manning it this time (bort has a baby due on the 1st!!!) it will probably only be running at limited times.

Barkley 2 Playable Demo
We’re showing an entirely new area this time around. When we were at PAX before we showed a pretty narrative heavy Tir Na Nog level, then for MAGFest we showed some combat in the Swamps. Well now we are showing ROBOTIC BATTLIN’ IN THE ENDLESS WASTELANDS OF NERCRON 7! This is going to introduce players to:

• Exploring, Finding Secrets
  • Battle Cybergremlins, Junk Bots (that grab anything and use it as a weapon) and Crabotrons (because we got tired of naming enemies after Barkley 1)
63ab737f5480820321adbb26f30bfee9_original.png

Battlin' the Crabotron
  • Our State-of-the-Art Death Mechanic (respawn FORWARDS in the game!)
  • Hot Gun’s Breeding to make gun's that shoot bullets like this:
c76e0931f20b1f310f1cd6dab6e51bae_original.png

Taking a Cyberdwarf Out with Moxie
  • Leveling Up your Guts, Luck, Acrobatics, Might and Piety
  • Finding Wild Vidcons
  • Play Basketball Tactics … ON LOCAL MULTIPLAYER – we are designing the in-game Basketball-Hoop-driving-Dunk-stankin’ System to also play as a standalone multiplayer game, were doing this because we’re mad good at this stuff now, and want to show people a complete playable portion of the game even before the MEGA Vidcon is out. Players can play this on two controllers on a big TV in the booth!
d8803726623c2100507f0637d9d076c4_original.gif

Dunk Gator taking it to the hole.
Special Reveal
And then then 4th reveal really needs no introduction, just watch this video and then read on.

That’s right, we’re gonna have AUTHENTIC and 100% CANON Cyberdwarf Cosplay at the booth. This is also no ordinary cosplay, it was painstakingly created by Kyle at Cute Monster Cosplay, and is built directly off of the concept art we posted yesterday. And he’s been learning up the game, and is going to be there showing it off, taking pictures, dropping all kinds of bball knowledge of yore on your poor folks.

Also huge props to Reload Last Save who put the video together from the beautiful city of Dallas, TX.

Well that’s all for right now, let that all simmer in your heads for the time being and we’ll try to get some more info to you shortly.

Stay frosty … ToG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1349881

Timely Update #1: PAX Thoughts

Mystical Greetings backers and nonbackers and all pets. The ToGsters have recovered from the obligatory conference illnesses. Frankie, Pasty and Bhroom are ready to report what went down in "The Windy City."

Here is a breakdown of what all went down at PAX.

Demo-ing Barkley 2
In all honesty, the first time we showed Barkley at PAX Prime two years ago, the game was a bit faked. It definitely showcased what the intent of the visual and feel of the game would be … but the systems inside, the mechanics, were very simple and very unbalanced. All that has changed as the ToGsters have shaped and molded the game into the giant heap it is now.

This heap is playable though, and represents truly that we think the finished product is going to be. Which we think means it is GOOD. In the last update just before PAX, we showed some screenshots with what we thought/hoped/prayed would be experienced in the live demo. We can safely and assuredly say now that that we showed was what people got!

In a very satisfying and redemptive way, the game performed as we planned. What we predicted would happen generally did with most players, and even more so: our tips to G.A.M.E.R.S. on how to survive, how to thrive in the game, when followed, were extremely effective. We are still a little bit away from actual Player Experience TeSting (P.E.T.S.) so that wasn’t really the ultimate goal of the show. We were looking for proof, outside of our own internal development, that the game could be played by the general public and understood.

Mainly this revolves around a pretty tight game loop (ie. the repeating mechanic of the game that players learn, practice and perfect in order to progress). On the surface Barkley 2 looks like a top down shooter; it definitely is, but the extremely small view port of the game (384x240px scaled), proportionally large enemies and player sprites, and a big honkin’ HUD taking up ¼ of the bottom of the screen push the game into a much-intended encounter-based Role Playing Game. That’s right, we talkin’ RPGs. A-RPGs!

The game loop rewards players for moving slowly and deliberately, encountering each enemy, dealing with it in whatever gun’sfashion they choose, and then moving on. Players should constantly be checking stats and inventory to decide whether their current excursion is moving positively, or if they need to return to the nearest Utility Station and smelt down some gun’s for more ammo and engage in some selective gun’sbreeding.

Avoiding turning this update into a game mechanics discussion (that’s for later), here are two game concepts that we’ve talked about but will make these paragraphs easier to understand:

• Gun’ssmelting – In the utility station, players can SMELT down their undesired wild gun’s that they’ve picked up while exploring. The derived SMELT POINTS from this action are used to refill your main, named (and tamed) gun’s.
  • Gun’sbreeding – This is how you level up your gun’s. You breed two gun’s together and their genetic material (which is derived from their own parents) are passed down into a child gun. This is also performed in the Utility Station.
Bhroom explains a little about these processes and more in this video from PC Gamer's coverage:

Enemies are fast and accurate, and the game punishes general run and gun behavior. But we also saw that if you have the appropriate gun’s and equipment, a faster and wider game loop is achievable through discipline and clever breeding. On the other hand, going too slow could end up yielding too few gun’s drops from enemies to keep your smelting and breeding sustainable. This could end up sending you back to an easier area to stock up on weaker gun’s, or worse … find you face down in the junk and muck of the Cyberpocalyptic Wasteland.

So with all the systems in the game now, and with them firing in a seemingly desired sequence, we have paved the way for PURE CONTENT CREATION. This is what we’ve been striving for since that fateful PAX Prime two years ago, and we’ve finally achieved it. We’ve been building and growing content this entire time as well, but now it’s just a matter of taking what resources we’ve created and connecting the proper hooks. (Before you ask: 11/11/2023)

Demo-ing Tactics: Ballre
Tactics:Ballre or Bball Tactics or BBTTX was also on display for people to get their grubby little paws on. Since GameMaker gives us the ability to export to a variety of platforms, we were able to get it running, on all things, An Android TV for PAX.

While the game itself will be single player within Barkley, we wanted to engage convention goers a little more by having a multiplayer build (nevermind that the AI isn’t ready yet anyways). It worked really well! With the art and animations up to speed on the minigame, which is aiming to have the scope and depth of Blitzball, relatively, we are moving forward with some gameplay and mechanics clean-up and then getting the AI up to par.

And since it was running on Android already does that mean it’s also touch-capable and can scale to any tablet or phone, or in this case television, form factor? You bet your rump it does.

Beyond that thinly veiled teaser, there isn’t as much to report on Tactics yet. We’re cleaning it up getting it ready for both insertion back into Barkley 2 proper and also following avenues about it being a standalone game.

Check out this article and video belowfor a very solid synopsis of what Tactics: Ballre is going to be.

The Cyberdwarf
The Cyberdwarf definitely pulled his weight at the show! First of all, look at how glorious this is!

b9c6ee467dd92f41a1b6ca268eeaad8a_original.jpg

Secondly, we sent “the man behind the ball,” aka Kyle, a build for him to play up on and learn some of the lingo of the Cyberpocalypse. Not only did he cover the game we sent tremendously, but he was able to pick up the slack of the booth while Bhroom and Frankie were pulled in one direction or another. He did an amazing job and assuredly made his mark on PAX, Seattle and the entire Western Seaboard both emotionally and ecologically for years to come.

PAX Rumble 2015
We participated in the PAX Rumble … it was pretty much right up our alley. You can watch ushere and here … sorta. Bhroom has effectively never watched wrestling so the jargon and swagger was a little lost, but Kyle played exceptionally well given the two blaring teal LEDs in his eyes and cyberpunk gauntlets wrapped around the N64 controller..

We’ll be back, Seattle … oh and okay one more Cyberdwarf:

e08a46aeef91fbcc67506a19cac47bd3_original.jpg

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
If there isn't any substantial information about when I'm able to shut up and jam (again) soon,
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end up playing Barkley one again!

Mozg

Arcane
What if Charles Barkley dies of a heart attack the day before release. That would make the game pretty morbid huh

Also this post would be very disturbing in retrospect

The mechanics talk in those updates is intriguing

Didn't read all the thread so I don't know if somebody else noted it: Eric, did you notice that Barkley 1 is one of Hardcore 101's "200 best games ever" book?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
How long does it takes to develop a Super Nintendo game? :troll:
I believe the equation is -

Grimoire + Dead State = only 15 more years
Age of Decadence

Didn't read all the thread so I don't know if somebody else noted it: Eric, did you notice that Barkley 1 is one of Hardcore 101's "200 best games ever" book?
Yeah, felipepepe PMed me the page, it was pretty cool.

I just wanted to point it out; even if I think that you're quite honourable and right by not bragging about these kinds of things, it's good for you that other people point it out. Barkley 1 IS a great game, and Hardcore 101 is one of the most erudite game site, they know what they're talking about and don't shoot shit from their asses.
Good luck for the sequel.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Getting strong Earthbound vibes for some reason.

:mrpresident:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom