Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Drew

Savant
i find that having 2 bros with 2handed hammers and 2 bros with 1handed hammers makes easier to battle orc parties with 5-10 warriors,although i usually have 1-2 bro fatalities
I genuinely haven't used any 2h weapons that didn't have 2 tile range yet.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Do bigger orcs ever become feasibly "easy"? Young orcs are no problem with my squad but
I just completely wiped on a group of 5 young and 5 warriors
They just have so much hp, and lots of armor, and shields, I feel as though I'd need to fully invest in good flails to ignore shields or good axes to break through them on turn one.
How do you guys deal with their leap stuns? When I'm only facing young I feel as though I can afford to simply eat the stun as I'm not likely to take a whole lot of damage in a single turn, but I don't think I can be as careless with warriors.

Don't try to break their shields, you'll waste all of your stamina. They are twice as durable as kite shields. Raise melee every level up so you can hit them anyway.

Like golgo said hammers are great to get through their armor. I use a mix of two-handed swords, 1h axes and 1h hammers.

From level 9 on you shouldn't lose brothers, even when you go up against a dozen warriors, lead by a warlord and with some support.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
What approximate melee skill should I be aiming for here? I have one brother in the 70s but everyone else in the mid 50s.

as high as possible,having most of your party in the 80s is what works for me,until i get at that point i dont bother with orc parties that have more than 3-4 warriors.

yes thats the unfortunate disadvantage of 2h hammers,what i do is i place the hammer bro with another 2h sword bro so hammer bro strikes first and stripes off the armour of the stinky orc then sword finishes him or at least fucks him badly.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I aim for 90 melee attack, 40 melee defense (without shield) and 80 fatigue (with all gear) on lvl 11.

You'll probably won't reach those stats with a random fisherman or caravan hand though. I think if you can reach 80 melee attack you'll be fine too.

Kuattro

Augur
i find that having 2 bros with 2handed hammers and 2 bros with 1handed hammers makes easier to battle orc parties with 5-10 warriors,although i usually have 1-2 bro fatalities

Yep, battle bros without shield will lay down on the field.

I've said it before, but Reach Advantage.

With a bit of maneuvering so that the 2h brothers get first attack, the only thing that will be lying on the field will be the decapitated bodies of your enemies, and the only thing hitting your men will be... I don't know, a guided missile or some shit like that.

Kuattro

Augur
and the only thing hitting your men will be...
gobboz with daggers.

When two or three of my 2h men take out around half a dozen goblins in one turn, the others start shaking so much it's a miracle they don't cut themselves with the daggers, much less take down the behemoths that are raining strikes upon them.
One time, one time it happened (and it wasn't even a goblin, it was a bandit archer with the shitty tier 1 knife :negative:) that one of my 2h has been taken down by getting hit twice (which is not easy when your melee defence is in the 50) with the armor piercing attack, whatever the name is. It was so extraordinary I was in shock for a couple of minutes.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I got excited because in my Steam Library it said, "Battle Brothers [beta]" which made me think the beta had landed for everyone who bought the game, but alas, it seems not.
Anthony, you filthy beta-beggar.

Hahaha, I already own the game - I just didn't back it back in the day because I didn't know about it...

Everyone should get this game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I have one merc using a man splitter. Seems stupid, but high melee and fatigue, coupled with axe specialty, makes it effective. Hits very hard, obviously.

hivemind

does reach advantage make using a 2h objectively superior in the late game?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Sort of. Your guys will still be squishier than they would be with shields. You might get fucked in bad terrain vs. the right enemies, so you can't abandon good formations entirely and for those a mix of shields, 2H, and polearms is still more effective than everyone running with greatswords in my experience.

Andnjord

Arcane

In my current game I have 5 guys with reach advantage, underdog, brawny, nimble and battle forged as their mainstay defensive perks. All have melee defense superior to 40 and around 600 points of armour. After 3 hits they get to 60 plus defense and are virtually untouchable (one militia guy has three stars there, base stat at 57! It was beautiful watching him solo an orc warboss and not ever get hit). It's the other guys with shields and inferior melee defense who are the squishiests and need the most rescuing.

With berserk and fearsome you just point them at orc warriors and watch heads fly. The only risk is when they get stun-locked by orc youngs for several turns thus never triggering reach advantage.

For reference the rest of the band is made up of one flagellant rally bot (very important to get that +10% to stats) 2 hybrid archers/pikemen, 2 dedicated marksmen, one dedicated billhooker and the rest a mix of axebros, cleavebros and hammerbros. The only reason I don't have more dedicated two handers is the lack suitable recruits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom