Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

DramaticPopcorn

Pyke I think the real problem with reporting on Kickstarters isn't that many Kickstarters have failed, but that it's increasingly uncomfortable to report on what comes across as well, panhandling. You don't want to come across as a site that considers its reader base as a sort of charity mailing list. "Look who needs your money this week, friends!"
This is the most blatant and pathetic attempt, Infi, you are not even trying
0PuWPMx.png

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pyke I think the real problem with reporting on Kickstarters isn't that many Kickstarters have failed, but that it's increasingly uncomfortable to report on what comes across as well, panhandling. You don't want to come across as a site that considers its reader base as a sort of charity mailing list. "Look who needs your money this week, friends!"

This does not make any sense at all. Tons of news on PoE II when PoE was considered banal and boring by many here (and blasted heavily in last big editorial posted). BS3 news here as well, even though that's not really an RPG and doesn't look half as solid as Beautiful Desolation. I don't get how posting news about every single fucking update about kickstarters from large, established outfits like inXile or Obsidian is good and mentioning Pyke's stuff would be panhandling... Seriously, what this dude does is the exact opposite - we got a nice adventure game in, with a 100% free chapter in form of Cayne, tons of really cool concept isometric art (not sure what thread has those though), and an awesome engagement of Pyke with the community here. And Stasis thread has 75 pages ffs, so I'm pretty sure codexians are interested in this stuff.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Jesus Fucking Christ, you're such a fucking Jew. FUCK.

DeepOcean

Arcane
:what:
"You don't want to come across as a site that considers its reader base as a sort of charity mailing list. " Fuck, infinitron, the Codex IS a fucking charity mailing list since 2012, what the fuck you are talking about?

Boleskine

Arcane
RPS gives Pyke and The Brotherhood some love.

Isometric STASIS follow-up Cayne out now for free and Beautiful Desolation’s apocalyptic Africa on the way

Beautiful Desolation’s apocalyptic Africa on the way
By Brendan Caldwell on January 30th, 2017 at 9:11 pm.

Share this:
desolation1.jpg

Whoopsie. I was at the beach last week and missed the release of Cayne, the short and free follow-up to isometric horror adventure STASIS [official site]. But I’m back to work today, so here I am to drop the freebie game bomb. Boom. I don’t know if it’s good or not, but Alec enjoyed the original in our STASIS review, even if it had the occasional daft puzzle. “STASIS is all about momentum rather than stop-start headscratching,” he said. “It flows.” This is just one half of my back-to-work newsing though. Creators, The Brotherhood, are also yodelling about a Kickstarter for their new game, Beautiful Desolation [official site], which is halfway to its funding target at this very mo, and has some new trailers to show off.

First, they’ve got a theatrical boyo showing what the gen vibe is, yeah?

You see, it’s an isometric adventure set in a post-apocalyptic Africa, where robots and giraffes walk the same dusty paths, passing rusty cars and generally being very attractive. More clickingly, there’s some gameplay tasters as well.

You’ll play as two brothers, Mark and Don Leslie, along with their four-legged robotic pal ‘Pooch’, who “find themselves in a dangerous world, fighting for their lives”. That sounds like a time-travel set up to me. I’m not a big man for the isometric clickwalks, but this does look very swish, a vibrant future-world that isn’t hardy-har Americana or cables and neon but rather filled with altered animals, tribal homesteads and weird, banjaxed desert landscapes. But it’ll be some time before we see it. They have the estimated delivery date on the Kickstarter as October 2019.

Meanwhile, Cayne is set in the STASIS universe and follows a mum-to-be called Hadley who wakes up in a strange medical facility after “what she thought was a routine procedure”. That’s about an hour and a half of free body horror for you.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, no way CAYNE is just 1 hour and a half (maybe with a walkthrough) Took me 3 and a half hours to complete.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm: I wasn't talking about the Codex you autistes. I've obviously got no problem using you guys as a mailing list for RPG charities.

Last edited:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I posted this to a question on NeoGAF - but you may find it interesting:

Games are always in a constant design flux - but I can tell you the direction that we are moving in.

The biggest difference between this and our previous games is that the game itself will be much less linear. You can explore the wasteland in any order and any direction you want to. You will discover secrets and towns and quests in different orders depending on your play through.

Our map size is currently 50 x 50 (although that may change to larger) - which gives you 2500 possibilities of places to explore. Some will be randomly generated - others will be specifically designed 'special tiles' that have optional mini quests - and of course some will have huge main towns with a further branch of main quest lines coming off of it.

So its still an adventure game - but its more a game made out of lots of smaller quests, which, depending on the order you complete them, impacts the denizens of the game world - and even impacts some other quest lines.

Everything still selves the main game storyline, which is honestly one of the coolest stories I think I've ever heard (granted...I'm biased...) :D

What you've said here needs more exposure and would be a good selling point or KS update.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love this update! Instead of going on about what can you get if you put in more money it explains how they make their games. IMO, that's way better way to engage community (and help some budding game makers) than promising another party npc at $X.Ym and then not delivering it due to time constraints.

Pyke awesome work! I would love even more behind the scenes, how's stuff made updates.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
>literally posted that shitty looking apocalyse now game, but not this.
>said the front page is crowded with crowdfunding, yet keeps posting everything that is not desolation
fuckingfinitron
:nocountryforshitposters:
Of course, small indie devs are desperate enough to give out exclusives for free but you've really got to slob the knob if you want those Obsidian scoops.

We now have a campaign running for BD, but it needs a nice tag for it. Pyke, could you use your graphic to make a 40x16px thingy for it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/1797041

Onions have layers (and so do our scenes!)

CAYNE IS NOW ON GOG!
Get your DRM-FREE gaming on here:
https://af.gog.com/game/cayne?as=1649904300[URL='https://af.gog.com/game/cayne_deluxe_content%20?as=1649904300[/URL]

https://af.gog.com/game/cayne_deluxe_content?as=1649904300

HOW A SCENE IS ASSEMBLED IN ISOMETRIC
Our games are essentially made up of flat pictures. I believe that removing the concern over the amount of polygons that make up a scene, allows us to add in an inordinate amount of detail into each image.

9a5cf2c6fdc8ceb1a7166bbf33ad023e_original.jpg

A 3D model is generated first.
We can also focus on how we compose the environment - having full control over how the player will visually perceive an area.

73108f501f0b0622b18b154d8cc4d84b_original.jpg

'After Effects' is used to composite the scene
Animated areas can give the scene the illusion of depth, because this is after all a flat picture. Adding motion does however take some planning.

Images are rendered out as animated frames which are then imported into After Effects. In After Effects, stock footage (smoke, fire and other natural elements) is added.

7fab474ef411820b79ffa1dbb5a95a2b_original.gif

Animated areas are masked out and rendered as separate sprites and layers which are then imported into the game engine.

f893d6c6b27aa7b01f8853d657c8d106_original.jpg

Animated areas are masked and rendered separately.
Working this way allows us to have a good idea about what the final scenes will look and feel like before it is imported into the engine.

We can iterate quickly to get to a final result that we're happy with!

1c0e7a5deaeeb9f9036d344b143edeab_original.gif

Final Result

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pyke, suggestion for your next project after BD:
isometric System Shock meets isometric Dead Space.
No horror please, it scares me. Also, space zombies are getting old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom