Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayer (17th century FPS from Ex-Monolith devs)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
D1P?

Dr Tomo

Learned
I will give it a 50/50 and wait till close to release or when it is in beta as they might make some positive changes as you did mention it was alpha. Only time I would not bother with a title in this pitiful condition is when it is in beta as at that point the game is going to release in the current state. I thank Zewp for the honest review and not some fanboy :bounce: over the game unlike *cough another thread lolz.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got a free p/review copy today. It shows promise, but it's not great yet.

My eyes are sensitive to bright light over broad areas, so the art style in its default state gets annoying. However, I turned off SSAO in a configuration file to make some areas appear less murky, and I lowered the brightness on my monitor, and it was fine. The developers said that they had originally colored the environments, but playtesters responded in a certain way to the game with that specific colorless filter. It's likely that the assets are still designed with color in mind, so I think it would look much better if the devs recreated or edited them with high contrast and monochrome in mind. I also support any initiative to tone the blinding white down to maybe a light gray, with white reserved for intensity like the sun. With the brightness down and AO disabled, I had no problem navigating or finding enemies or items.

What's good is that you take few hits before going down, and the ranged enemies seem capable of leading you. However, they deserve more complex AI. Ranged enemies stand still and fire at you, and melee enemies run at you, and that's really it. At least some of the devs were technical guys at Monolith, which was an AI powerhouse. Condemned was their worst that I've played, and even that had enemies who would try to take cover, ambush you, run away when wounded and so on.

What I'd suggest is an AI system that tries to make use of the landscape and the visual style. Ranged guys probably shouldn't need to move around much, since people tended to shoot things while standing still back then, but it would be nice to see them move to higher ground or some kind of natural cover before shooting (the area is full of hills, after all). Right now, all they do is roam around and then stop everything once they see you. And for melee guys, I'd like to see them attack with a sense of self preservation. Since shaded areas are very dark in the game, melee enemies could run for cover of darkness under trees and such once they spot you, provided that shade would also darken their auras. Maybe they could just stick to shaded areas naturally. If you get near or if you turn your back, then they'd decide to attack. This is really just me fantasizing, and I don't know how high the combat is on the list of the developers' priorities, but their pedigree gives me hope that AI is something they can focus on.

Exploration is pretty interesting. The quests/notes screen also contains a tab about people who lived in this place, and as it seems, you get to find clues that add to their biographies. Things like tombstones describing them and stuff. The story looks like it will be pretty gritty and interesting, too. All the mission critical clues have bright red auras around them, though. I would have preferred that they be tinted or colored red.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I was thinking the same thing about enemies hiding in shadow. Especially the wooded areas are very dark. If they could make it so that enemy auras only show when they're standing in the light, they could have a really good thing going with enemies hiding in woods and shadows. There's one part of the first map where the road passes right by a wood that's dark as fuck and while walking along that road I thought that I would be in pretty deep shit if enemies were to suddenly come rushing out of those woods.

Seeing as they seem to want player suggestions, maybe I'll go drop that suggestion on the Steam forums a bit later.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Next step in the evolution of gaming: no graphics! A pitch black screen with sliding achievements as you repeatedly mash one button. In hard mode these fall in the shape of square tetris blocks and you have control over them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is called art-style? :lol:

Let me tell you what it is: cheap as shit way to make graphics that will be gobbled up by hipsters. CUZ BLACK AND WHITE IZ ARTISTIC DONTCHU KNOU?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Next step in the evolution of gaming: no graphics! A pitch black screen with sliding achievements as you repeatedly mash one button. In hard mode these fall in the shape of square tetris blocks and you have control over them.

It's dark. You are about to be scammed by an artfag.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Apparently they added a color slider to it now: http://steamcommunity.com/app/243120/discussions/1/864978109640192364/

ss_f487b96b15eee66a40442d355a59c4f9cf92c9e1.600x338.jpg

ss_979ab5a618bf0592824617e9db99be379a09c6b5.600x338.jpg

Or: You can now adjust the black and white values seperately, making it look less strenuous to the eyes: http://steamcommunity.com/app/243120/discussions/1/864977479730083134/

ss_8198257aa57b7a3bcebe8e8fffbd72295409917b.600x338.jpg

ss_e4a57c72680dae260753dd0c6b4e52b3a03d757e.600x338.jpg

These ex-Monolithians, they appear to be learning animals.

:takemymoney:

Caim

Arcane
Bad hiking simulator because of lack of colors.

Here's hoping the FPS action is better.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://steamcommunity.com/app/243120/discussions/1/864980278226533512/

Betrayer Update #3!

NOTE: PLEASE START A NEW GAME!

This is a major update featuring a new area, a completely new enemy type, new things to do, and numerous improvements and fixes.

Please see the summary for more information, although note that many entries are left intentionally vague so as not to ruin any surprises. That said, first-time players should beware that the list may still contain some minor spoilers. As always, let us know what you think!

Summary:
-A new area!
-A new enemy type!
-Additional notes, clues, etc.
-Revised the “talking skull” element.
-Lots of new or refined enemy behaviors.
-Added a save prompt when exiting the game and an autosave after shopping.
-Massive AI refactor for more consistent behavior with fewer “thoughtful pauses”.
-Massive enemy navigation and navmesh overhaul for better pathfinding and handling of situations where the player is unreachable.
-Improved enemy encounters in the otherworld.
-Various stealth refinements.
-Reworked some tutorial messages and added a couple of new ones to explain game mechanics people seem to consistently overlook.
-Enemy weapons no longer go flying when dropped.
-Charms are now auto-equipped in empty slots.
-Audio sliders are hooked up now.
-Lots of balance adjustments. Be warned the game got harder.
-Shortbow quiver works properly.
-Lots of visual tweaks, optimizations, and polish.
-Notes now use a script font.
-Esc key now works in the main menu.
-Equipped items are now marked in the Inventory menu.
-Scrollbars should look better and work more reliably.
-Bow animation polish.
-Fixed an issue where lightmaps could become irreversibly black in certain cases, causing shadows to appear pitch black and the otherworld to become featureless and very hard to navigate.
-Fixed potential issue where otherworld enemies could spawn in the normal world.
-Fixed a related issue where progression could get blocked in certain save/load situations.
-The South Gate will now only open in the normal world.
-Longbow now starts with 12 arrows instead of 20.
-Fixed issue where you could get the "nothing more to hear in this region" notice prematurely.

-Lots of balance adjustments. Be warned the game got harder.

Refreshing.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom