Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alice was repetitive platformer shit.

The art direction was gorgeous though.

Have you ever played any other platformer? It's the most un-repetitive platformer I've ever seen, with each environment being completely unique and different tactics needed for defeating different enemies.

And even if that wasn't true, it's still worth it for the art (cutscenes and levels alike).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227800/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Just popped up on the main page. I remember mindx2 once said he "fucking loved Descent", might wanna check it out.

Descent was our primary influence in working with the game, and we were funded in part by the Descent 2 community. If you liked Descent, I'm pretty confident you'll like Retrovirus.

TotalBiscuit did a video on it but it was an alpha back then, these are a more up to date vids.

http://youtu.be/jinUxoE-HWM

http://lt.twitch.tv/fpsguru/b/361006878

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227800/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Just popped up on the main page. I remember mindx2 once said he "fucking loved Descent", might wanna check it out.

Descent was our primary influence in working with the game, and we were funded in part by the Descent 2 community. If you liked Descent, I'm pretty confident you'll like Retrovirus.

TotalBiscuit did a video on it but it was an alpha back then, these are a more up to date vids.

http://youtu.be/jinUxoE-HWM

http://lt.twitch.tv/fpsguru/b/361006878
I am curious about this one when I saw it up on Steam. Anyone have opinions...?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape Torment also has health regen :troll:
a) PS:T is not a shooter
b) having health regen as an high tier ability in RPGs is not inherently bad
c) get a better trolling material

Also after watching the playthrough a bit more, the level design lacks Descent's branching and which-surface-is-the-floor-anyway-ing. Would not bang.

I don't see health regen by itself as inherently bad either, only when it's quick enough that you can just duck behind something in the middle of combat for a few seconds to be 100% again. Traditional healing (like medkits or healing spells) can be easymode as well if the game showers you with them.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I don't see health regen by itself as inherently bad either, only when it's quick enough that you can just duck behind something in the middle of combat for a few seconds to be 100% again. Traditional healing (like medkits or healing spells) can be easymode as well if the game showers you with them.

The main problem is not the difficulty of combat, but the effect it tends to have on the level of thought put into level design.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mentio it removes any consequences from sucking at the game... you can lose 99% of your health at each battle and still face the next one on full life. There isn't that anxiety of being on very low life with a massive battle ahead of you.

Yeah, one big downside is that the game willl assume you're always at 100% and thus don't have to think too much about enemy and resources placement, secluded areas where you can take a break, pacing and length of confrontations, etc. It can only punish you for sucking really hard (dying).

Modron

Arcane
I got extra steam keys for Crusader Kings 2 plus the following dlc:
African Units Pack
The first Dynasty Shields Pack
Mongol Faces Pack
Ruler Designer
Songs of Albion
Songs of Faith
Songs of the Caliph
Songs of the Holy Land

If you guys want them.

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dragonborn/

Dragonborn for 20% off, no coupons or anything. Not much of a deal but since I may pull a Morgoth since Bethesda RPGs are one of my favorite things for some goddamn reason I might go for that. Probably will even day 1 purchase Fallout 4 when it comes, and cross my fingers for another Obsidian Fallout after. Maybe I shouldn't since I still haven't finished Dawnguard, buuuuuuut I dunno.

And I know liking Bethesda RPGs is blasphemy 'n all, and god only knows I've bitched about Oblivion my fair share but I'm firmly in the "Mods will fix it" camp. Even Oblivion was enjoyable with enough mods slathered on top to make it a decent loot-whoring action RPG where you ignore quests 90% of the time and just dungeon crawl linear dungeons, and Fallout 3 and especially Skyrim were less shitty by default and require less heavy modding. FNV of course was perfect in every way* and only needs mods so you can be impregnated by cazadors (Real mod) and specifically eat uteruses (Real mod).

*For what it is.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Last Remnant for $4 since some people on here seemed to want to JRPG.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/last-remnant/

Multi-headed Cow

Not related to anything, but Jesus. Was poking around my hard drive trying to delete stuff to make some room. Found I had a Commander Keen install from 1990, Wing Commander Secret Ops (With all episodes, naturally) from 1998, and Doom from 1995.
Why was Doom newer than Keen, you ask? Because Keen was pirated when it was new, and that Doom came from a Quake shareware disc I was able to pirate the games off of. Since Quake was apparently 1996 I guess the Doom files were from 1995.

Still, Commander Keen installed for 23 years. I'm feeling weird. Downloaded a copy off of an abandonware site to compare and theirs was from 1991, the popamole decliners. Perhaps you would like a few images from the depths of ancient internet I saved and kept for years? I will oblige.

sj8BF2b.gif

3JQhZJf.gif

mgSLAiX.gif

Edit: Double Jesus. That Commander Keen is older than the hated Idiotekque from CAG. http://steamcommunity.com/id/idiotekque

Edit: Triple Jesus. Never looked at Idiotekque's profile before. His most played game is 35 hours and he only has 3 games with 10+ hours played. For someone who sits and shitposts in the Steam thread on CAG 24/7 he sure doesn't play videogames. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but damn.

Edit: Quad damage Jesus. The irony doesn't escape me that I'm sitting and shitposting this Steam thread.

Multi-headed Cow

Why do you have the same hard drive after 20 years?
I don't, but I move the contents from the old to the new as I upgrade and for whatever reason Commander Keen has stuck around and survived over the years. I guess because it's small and one of my favorites I've never had the heart to delete it, even though the version I've got on Steam is more playable since it's all pre-jiggered. And though I've wiped my C: drive a few times Commander Keen apparently dodged those bullets by being on D: drive at the time.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Why do they keep throwing that shit Bastion on sale?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
War of the Roses going pseudo free to play: http://www.gamesta.com/war-of-the-roses-free-to-play-details-and-bundle-additions/

Paradox Interactive announced War of the Roses: Kingmaker, which bundle all previously released downloadable content (DLC) into one gold edition. Medieval PC multiplayer with third person melee combat will reassemble in this package deal at the end of the first quarter of 2013.

Along with granting access to all armors, weapons and perks released since October 2012, the Kingmaker edition will also include 2 new game modes, namely Assault and Assault Castle. These will follow simple attack and defend rules. A new update will additionally grant free access to a new forest map and some armor pieces.

Upcoming plans for War of the Roses include DLC starring British actor Brian Blessed and a trial version of the game. This free tryout will serve as a “vanilla” experience that allows players do dive into all online battles with paid customers, but at a slight drawback. For instance, free players will not have access to any unlocks and so will be confined to the basic loadouts. Moreover, Paradox announced in their stream yesterday that the trial version earns coins and experience at only half rate. However, purchasing the full version will rank up players to their full value of both. This should give people a choice to either play for free indefinitely or enhance their experience with a purchase.

:troll:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WotR is a good game, I hope we can get a battle of codexers going.

How does it fare compared to Chivalry? I've heard it's more technical in comparison.
Let me make a quick comparison of Chivalry, Mount and Blade and War of the Roses.

The idea is how is Chivalry and WotR different from M&B, I assume you have played any M&B.

- Mount & Blade is slower paced, while Chivalry and WotR are faster paced (both Chivalry and WotR about the same)
- therefore WotR's and Chivalry's gameplay is less about tactics and more about being good in duels, whereas in M&B it depended on the people on the servers - if they were a bunch of savages it was just as chaotic fight, if they actually managed to play together and form shield walls, that triangle horse formation (what was it called?) etc then they went to massacre the other side, ahhh... good times on RPG servers... :love: Unfortunately about 80% of the games in M&B was still just duels (or gangrape) due to dumbfuck players
- M&B is semi-realistic, not having a stupid shit, but not focusing on realism either. Chivalry is more arcade, you run around dodging hits, but hit in the head is still critical. War of the Roses - in comparison to these two - shines as moon in the night. WotR is kind of both arcade and realistic - arcade, because, as I said, it's quite fast paced and bandaging heals. Realistic, because developers gave special love to armours and weapons. They act as, I think, they would in real life. Going through the full plate armour requires to really put strength into an attack (like throwing yourself at enemy while stabbing or moving your whole body in the right direction while slashing etc), moreover every armour, helm etc is not just a different item with different stats - if you see a small hole in the helm for the eyes, you can just one-stab the enemy there with a dagger or other shitty weapon and it's unlikely he's going to survive that (or at least make him bleed terribly, which gives him about 10 seconds of life, unless he runs out of a fight and bandage himself, but in 90% of cases it means he dies because he cannot just run away, even if he manages to continue the fight).

In summary the fun factor is about the same in all games but I would choose them like that: WotR > M&B > Chivalry. M&B is better because it's not only about rushing as the other two, but WotR wins because of very realistic approach to weapons and armours. WotR is not perfect but a bit more combat realism alone made it the best in my eyes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom