Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Mesa - legendary vaporware Half-Life remake finally out

Tehdagah

Arcane
That's HL2. HL1 has almost none of the "cutscene masquerading as not-a-cutscene" bullshit.
Again, the box puzzle and physics shit was HL2.
HL2 had more, but HL1 had it first.

I remember a plenty of immershun in HL1, especially at the beginning. Xeno is the only part of the game with almost none of that.

HL1 on Hard is moderately challenging if not one of the more difficult singleplayer games, especially Blue Shift and Opposing Force. What are you comparing it to that you think its easy?

HL2 is where Valve dropped the ball and made the whole thing a fucking carebear game.
No, Doom on Ultra-Violence is moderately challenging.

MasPingon

Arcane
WTF is all this fuss about HL. Seriously, it's just a painfully mediocre FPS. I got totally bored somewhere in the middle of HL2 and quit, never to return.
Name one, single player FPS, better then Half Life 1(classics like Doom, DN3D aside)

HL2 had more, but HL1 had it first.

I remember a plenty of immershun in HL1, especially at the beginning. Xeno is the only part of the game with almost none of that.

HL1 certainly didn't have it first, so you're wrong there. And HL1 had so little of it that you can't say it did anything. Again, even fucking DOOM had intermissions. HL1's weren't an order of magnitude greater.

No, Doom on Ultra-Violence is moderately challenging.

Doom on UV is pretty easy, assuming you are talking about vanilla levels. HL1 is far harder.

MasPingon

Arcane
Who gives a shit what idiots praise it for? Does a reviewer whose job it is to fellate games change what a game actually is? No.

Who gives a shit about idiots, who need animated cutscenes and interruption of gameplay, to pay attention to the story?

HL1 certainly didn't have it first, so you're wrong there.

Which FPS had it first?

Who gives a shit about idiots, who need animated cutscenes and interruption of gameplay, to pay attention to the story?

No one, I think. Gameplay interruptions in HL1 were about creating the atmosphere of being in an underground science facility and/or understanding the challenge of the area, nothing to do with story. This is an established tool in the horror and adventure genres, which HL1 pulled influence from.

Which FPS had it first?

I don't know off the top of my head who did it first, but at the very least Jedi Knight did it earlier.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Blaming Half Life for creating the modern FPS environment is like blaming Nietzsche for inventing Nazism.
Pretty much. The decline of the FPS genre wasn't really about other games copying Half-Life but more about games trying to copy Half-Life and getting it horribly wrong. HL1 mainly used scripted events to convey information about the story and the setting without stopping the action and breaking the pacing of the game, later games did the exact opposite and basically dictated the whole pacing through scripted events. HL1's levels, while not as open as in many earlier shooters, were generally not just straight corridors (which is what we get today) but often included alternative routes, backtracking and larger areas with multiple objectives (Blast Pit being one example), all the while feeling like actual locations with some specific purpose. The story itself is also extremely simple, it's just executed very effectively, like the soldiers finally entering the facility and starting to shoot scientists instead of trying to save them – there's no unneeded exposition involved there and the whole thing is over in a matter of seconds, yet it completely changes the complexion of the story.

Even HL2 got some of these aspects wrong, as even though it didn't really have any more of a plot than HL1 did, it occasionally drowned the player in exposition (probably because they wanted to show off with their character animations rather than tell a story, I think), and its levels were generally much more straightforward.

Even HL2 got some of these aspects wrong, as even though it didn't really have any more of a plot than HL1 did, it occasionally drowned the player in exposition (probably because they wanted to show off with their character animations rather than tell a story, I think), and its levels were generally much more straightforward.

I'd say this is also partially due to what I'm going to call the recursive fanboy effect. Fanboys spent years analyzing simple shit that was probably put in with no more than a few minutes of thought and talking about rather inane stuff. When Valve saw that they felt that HL2's story had to live up to that as some kind of meaningful 2deep4u thing. It shows in that HL2 is basically a whole game that makes no sense and has tons of cringeworthy interactions, but people/the press bought into it hook line and sinker.

Gord

Arcane
Pretty much. The decline of the FPS genre wasn't really about other games copying Half-Life but more about games trying to copy Half-Life and getting it horribly wrong.

Also the shooter genre had gotten about as stale and boring as now, only with different flavor.
Nowadays we get tons of CoD derivative corridor dudebro military shooters, back then it was tons of derivative Doom clones.
Half Life brought some fresh air into the genre.

Suchy

Arcane
So? STALKER is not Polish.
Also System Shock (both), Deus Ex, Rainbow 6, Project IGI, hell - even Crysis (until aliens appeared).

Seriously HL sersies is not that good. Yeah, it did introduce some new mechanics, but in the end it all went down to old same pew-pew action with cheezy as fuck story.

Last edited:
So? STALKER is not Polish.
Close enough for it to feel like home. Didn't disagree that there were better games than HL to nominate, just pointing out that your specific choice was rather suspect considering that they aren't really comparable games. STALKER is a modern shooter in an open world, HL is an Arena shooter in a fairly closed environment that merely has a modern setting.

Also System Shock (both), Deus Ex, Rainbow 6, Project IGI, hell - even Crysis (until aliens appeared).
Again, not really comparable.

SS? Well first one had pretty basic FPS mechanics, and the second one is just bad if you are looking for a shooter.
Deus Ex is an RPG with fairly substandard shooting.
Rainbow 6 I don't know what you are talking about since there are like 30 of them, and all the ones I've played are complete crap.
Project IGI is modern shooter crap, Crysis is modern shooter crap + superpowers which makes it kind of OK, but not nearly as good as HL.

Seriously HL sersies is not that good. Yeah, it did introduce some new mechanics, but in the end it all went down to old same pew-pew action with cheezy as fuck story.
Don't rate the HL series then. HL series is 50% shit, everything after HL:Blue Shift (and arguably HL:BS isn't too amazing either). HL1 is an exceedingly good shooter though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

I remember when HL1 was coming out. The cool shit was graphics, animations, weapons, interesting enemies, soldier AI and atmosphere. It was pretty much all incline.

HL2 on the other hand...

is the best shooter ever made.

Silva

Arcane
Are you people criticizing the shooter genre as a whole or just the popamole branch ? Because it was the shooter genre who gave me the most intense and atmospheric experience ever ( through games like Deus Ex, System Shock and Stalker).

I agree about the arena shooters though (like Unreal Tnmt, Counterstrike, etc). They could die in oblivion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
is the best shooter ever made.
You're out of your mind and so is JC for brofisting that. HL2 is the best FPS ever made? Give me a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom