Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard makes Blackthorne freeware (UPD: And now The Lost Vikings too)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Good thing that I own a still-sealed boxed copy of The Lost Vikings for sentimental reasons, and not for future financial gain.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Already finished Blackthorne and two parts of Lost Vikings on Znes. The first one was a little brother of Flashback, not much variety in the level desing, but the hiding system and the items which could be used on enemies were cool. Boss fight difficulty was ok, nothing rage inducing, but it required focusing. Lost Vikings are one of the best puzzle platformers (along with Furry of the Furries) based on team working. The sequel was really hard in the endgame, but it was worth it. I've never player that racing game though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'd advise to play the Genesis version of The Lost Vikings. It has 4 extra levels for a total of 41 vs 37 for the other versions, cutscenes between worlds, and the soundtrack sounds so much better. I appreciate Blizzard's move to release the game for free but the DOS version isn't the best in this case unlike Blackthorne. The only other advantage I could see for the DOS or SNES versions was that some items got a few more colours but that was about it. Yet the Genesis version still looks very good and the better soundtrack and the extra level makes it the definitive version. Just use a good emulator, like MESS, and set the controller to 6 buttons.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Lost Vikings was really fun. I still have a notebook with the level passwords inside. I never finished it; I got stuck at level twenty-something.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I never finished it either, but I got stuck on the bossfight at the end.

Gragt Thanks for the heads-up, but even though it's been almost 20 years I still remember the fatigue I felt once I was in the last stages of the game. It was a real chore getting to the end. I'm not sure if one should be grateful for 4 extra levels in the Megadrive version or not.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had some real ye'olde fun with Lost Viking today. Suprisingly I still remember some levels, at least as soon as I see them.
Now I want the second game (not good as first though) and Warcraft 1&2 free Blizz!!!

garren

Arcane
Patron
Nice. Hope they release some of their other old games too that can't be bought digitally. Diablo 1, Warcraft 1-2 & the other less known stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom