Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bound by Flame - ARPG where the PC is possessed by a demon

Explorerbc

Arcane
It is exactly like Mars: War Logs. Combat , skills, crafting, maps, even some environments. If you played that and liked it then you should give this a try I guess.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It is exactly like Mars: War Logs. Combat , skills, crafting, maps, even some environments. If you played that and liked it then you should give this a try I guess.

That game had some moments but it was like 5% good stuff in a sea of shit. This one seems to be completely soulless.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think this looks pretty cool, but I'm a schmuck for games like this.

At least it seems it is not Arcania amounts of derp.

zo6mL.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
As a non-native speaker myself I have to ask is that really the case? "Army of [insert noun here]" you generally see is much worse if you ask me. "Dead-Army" sounds like a Bound in Flame specific thing which gives it certain character and recognizability. Perhaps it's just me and my ignorant ways, though.

It reads like a teenager penned it for his EPIC FANTASY GRAPHIC NOVEL.

sser

Arcane
Developer
"They had the mobility of creek-carried moss on a windless day. Their formations, nonexistent. Their tactics, aimless. No leader was at the helm. No scouts, no sense of geography. It was only in one direction that they walked and, no matter where you hid or where you ran off to, that direction always, always seemed to be in yours. And you they would find. Their hunt was their torture, their speed their tool of excising terror. It wasn't an army. No, it was an... an inevitability." -- Analogues of the Dead Army.

Seems alright.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Graphics and combat look much better than Demonicon (game most similar to this released not too long ago), but I fear the story & writing will be much worse. Demonicon made use very well of the Dark Eye setting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
With some coupons, this can be gotten for $25 at GreenManGaming. Not totally sold on it, but that's not too shabby of a price for something that's not even out yet.

Modron

Arcane
Resist the GMG coupons, that's how I ended up with Omerta :negative:.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Why won't this thread die?
Apparently some people didn't get the memo and so think that RPG stands for Rectum Pounding Gay game.:mhd:
anus_pounder brofists this
Called it before scrolling down.

"They had the mobility of creek-carried moss on a windless day. Their formations, nonexistent. Their tactics, aimless. No leader was at the helm. No scouts, no sense of geography. It was only in one direction that they walked and, no matter where you hid or where you ran off to, that direction always, always seemed to be in yours. And you they would find. Their hunt was their torture, their speed their tool of excising terror. It wasn't an army. No, it was an... an inevitability." --

So, if you put yourself behind a raging chasm you've defeated the Deadarmy. I'm a genius.

belated

Augur
So, I tried Mars: War Logs yesterday (couldn't resist the -80% off some time ago, and also FOR SCIENCE!) and it pretty much plays the same as what I saw in the Bound by Flame gameplay video above.

Same triple skill tree (with one branch locked at the start), same block/counterattack functionality, same circular quickbar with assignable hotkeys, same healing mechanism, same tutorial screens (guide), same ranged ability (nailer in M:WL instead of crossbow), same trap system, same character ability ('perk') screen, same UI for everything etc.

I think evade has been changed from twitcher rolling in M:WL to jumping back in Bound by Flame, but other than that it appears to be the exact same game.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, I tried Mars: War Logs yesterday (couldn't resist the -80% off some time ago, and also FOR SCIENCE!) and it pretty much plays the same as what I saw in the Bound by Flame gameplay video above.

Same triple-skill tree (with one branch locked at the start), same block/counterattack functionality, same circular quickbar with assignable hotkeys, same healing mechanism, same tutorial screens (guide), same ranged ability (nailer in M:WL instead of crossbow), same trap system, same character ability ('perk') screen, same UI for everything etc.

I think evade has been changed from twitcher rolling in M:WL to jumping back in Bound by Flame, but other than that it appears to be the exact same game.
I think it seems rational for a small studio to develop the gameplay scheme (without building something new)they made in their very first game, if it was somehow decent of course:troll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added to my wishlist, along with Demonicon, Blood Knights, Titan Lords, DARK, Hellraid and that pirate ARPG from Reality Pump. All look decent enough to play for $5 or so.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Added to my wishlist, along with Demonicon, Blood Knights, Titan Lords, DARK, Hellraid and that pirate ARPG from Reality Pump. All look decent enough to play for $5 or so.
Jesus, as I read your list I felt pity for your suffering after each name read. Why torture yourself so much?:lol:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus, as I read your list I felt pity for your suffering after each name read. Why torture yourself so much?:lol:
Bro, you have to embrace the decline to appreciate the good stuff more. I become pretty jaded when I play only the good stuff and lose any sense of joy from gaming. So, I happily swim in a sea of shit and am able to better appreciate the occasional island of quality.

And since I don't play Bethesda games, Battlefields, Call of Dutys, MOBAs and such, I experience my decline in games such as the ones I listed. They don't even have to be RPGs, I can do with almost anything that is sci-fi or fantasy.*

*There are exceptions, for example Hydrophobia was too shitty even for me.

EDIT: To be honest, most of these games turn out to have some B-movie-style appeal to them. You can't take this stuff too seriously after all.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's currently in the top 10 best sold on Steam, outselling Wolfenstein and Child of Light.

Alonebadman

Educated
I am playing this and it's exactly what I figured it'd be. The skill tree system is simplistic, the C&C pretty much ehh but the dialogue is pretty funny in a everyone acts like they're 15 years old kind of way. The amount of arse, fuck, and dickhead I've heard makes the game amusing. The characters are two dimensional but the game's kind of tongue in cheek and pokes fun at itself. Crafting system is a little addictive and fun but pretty mindless. For a small studio, it's a good effort. Characters look like crap that was passable in 2009, environements are bland but the game actually is difficult ala Dark Souls. Even on normal, if you suck/don't take advantage of blocking/parrying, you will die over and over. Although bosses are easy to kill. Just use defend yourself AI order and whack a way. Still, Bound By Flame is good, simplistic fun that acts as a holdover for the Witcher, POE or AwesomeButton Fisterquistion. Also, Ranger>Warrior. Jumping around and riposting/parrying like a howler monkey is godly mixed in with arson magic=good times. Swords are decent but axes/hammers are slow as fuck and not worth it.

Pros: Mindless but Fun Combat, Semi-Serious/Semi-Parodic Story that doesn't take itself too seriously, Fashion Souls with the Crafting system. Slight change in Act Locations Ala Twitcher 2. Voice Acting pretty solid for dickish characters/politically incorrect humor. Elf who actually does something and isn't a fucking hippie+1
Cons:Character Creation is shit, only 6 faces/6 hair styles, no ability to modify any part of face. C&C doesn't really affect ending but choices lead to different scenarios in a simple way. Skill tree is basically Vanilla WOW geared toward an ARPG.

:3/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom