Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bring them smilies BACK!

Bring them all back!

• YES!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QUICKLY!

• NO

• Total voters

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
DarkUnderlord said:
Kingston said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Cleve is an ubermensch exception. Few people here (if any) can write like him. We're manboons, so we have to rely on images to convey the feelings we can't quite put into words.

What feelings can't you put into words? How often does an image actually snapshot your experience completely and totally? And how often do you cut pieces of yourself away, like rounding the edges of a cube so that it fits into the circle hole? How often do you betray yourself when a picture also conveys emotions that you didn't feel?

Could it be that the emoticons actually guide the formation of our feelings? That we train ourselves to downplay the parts that don't fit the emoticon because it's just convenient? That makes us cowards!

Whatever, I tried.
butthurt-form.jpg

I think this should be a smiley too. It's a really clever and succinct reply to fuck it I'm drunk and I can't be bothered AT WHAT POINT DID WE BECOME A FUCKING DEGENERATE 4CHAN SPINOFF YOU GODDAMN CUNT RIDE A WHEELBARROW FULL L OF UDICKS STRAIGHT UP MY ASS

Anyone who claims that modern RPGCodex is anything but /b/ lite is fooling themselves.

Melcar

Arcane
I liked the trolls better. An idea though; replace the three gentleman dudes with trolls, with top hats and monocles.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Melcar said:
I liked the trolls better. An idea though; replace the three gentleman dudes with trolls, with top hats and monocles.

The Codex Troll IS the Codex. Three distinguished Victorian gentlemen certainly pertains to our :monocle:ness but does not symbolize the Codex itself.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Taken in context of how I used them they're entirely appropriate.

EDIT: actually, I have now contributed both the logo and the tagline. I think I should be admin. And, oh, things will be put to rights.

Antihero

Liturgist
Kingston said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Cleve is an ubermensch exception. Few people here (if any) can write like him. We're manboons, so we have to rely on images to convey the feelings we can't quite put into words.

What feelings can't you put into words?
Might as well just go with the flow. In the future, we'll all just post images to communicate our deepest, most intellectual thoughts, while using the barest necessity of words to make sure that they're not misinterpreted.

We'll have come full circle and it will be glorious. Never again will your masterful manifesto, 6000 words of pure enlightenment, be met with nothing more than a casual tl;dr. Mankind will be united by their love of lolcats, goats scratching themselves, and tasteful erotica. We will truly have peace for our time.

Shannow

Waster of Time
TheFurryFrau said:
What happened to the troll??? :rpgcodex:
Fucking shit cunts snorted to much coke mixed with shit and lost it. Now ITZ happened and all that is left is to randomly insult fucking crack whores like you.
:x

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
DarkUnderlord said:

I'm not personally offended by smilies, much like I'm not offended by shitty music or crappy games. I just think they suck.

And how you wasted an opportunity to make a good post. Instead you posted a picture. And not just any picture, but a picture we've seen a thousand times.

old_chums.png

I'm not really buying this "distinguished gentlemen" stuff anymore. The only justification I see is that we like oldschool games. The Codex has got a bit too preoccupied with the circlejerking instead of making content worth circlejerking over.

We'll have come full circle and it will be glorious. Never again will your masterful manifesto, 6000 words of pure enlightenment, be met with nothing more than a casual tl;dr. Mankind will be united by their love of lolcats, goats scratching themselves, and tasteful erotica. We will truly have peace for our time.

I'm sorry, I must've wondered into /b.

Antihero

Liturgist
Kingston said:

I'm sorry, I must've wondered into /b.
Guess my sarcasm failed. :M

DraQ

Arcane
I'd probably be on Kingston's side, as the icons have a lot of potential for dumbfuckery, was it not for the fact that icons can and have been used as a pretty clever means of expression, and disabling them now would rob the Codex, especially already existing threads, of some of it's value. They won't convey additional meaning, but they can convey some meaning in a different form.

The sentences:
"LOL TEH GAEM NOT WORK HALP??!1"
and:
"The game refuses to run so I believe I'll have to turn to you for your assistance, gentlemen - could you please help me?"

Don't convey any different meaning, after all.

DefJam101 said:
:lol:

Antihero

Liturgist
DraQ said:
The sentences:
and:
"The game refuses to run so I believe I'll have to turn to you for your assistance, gentlemen - could you please help me?"

Enough difference to me... the first means I'm probably getting myself into a world of dumbfuckery where I'll have to squeeze the simplest of answers out, presuming they respond at all when they don't get their magical insta-answer. The second gives me some hope of actually going somewhere. Of course, all that can go out the window if they're not being serious, but let's take it at face value for the sake of argument here.

DraQ

Arcane
Antihero said:
DraQ said:
The sentences:
and:

Enough difference to me... the first means I'm probably getting myself into a world of dumbfuckery where I'll have to squeeze the simplest of answers out, presuming they respond at all when they don't get their magical insta-answer. The second gives me some hope of actually going somewhere. Of course, all that can go out the window if they're not being serious, but let's take it at face value for the sake of argument here.
Extra information - yes, but not extra meaning.

As for the smileys, it would be cool, if they remained accessible through the macros, but the emoticon menu itself was gone - I liked it better when I didn't have a block of retarded smileys adjacent to my post, it may also subconsciously influence the posters to not post as much inane crap. Plus, it would be more "cereberal" and help to convey our "non scaling" message.

:smug:

Antihero

Liturgist
DraQ said:
Extra information - yes, but not extra meaning.
Fair enough.

DraQ said:
I liked it better when I didn't have a block of retarded smileys adjacent to my post, it may also subconsciously influence the posters to not post as much inane crap.
While I don't imagine it will happen (at least in GD), some forums limit the amount of smilies per post through forum software or rules. Same with embedding images. Besides other posters setting the standard and relying on the mods to steer the forum, what else can be done? The fewer retarded smilies the better, but they can still be funny if used on occasion.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It's really just a matter of principle that having inane 4chan memes littering the posting menu pretty much robs us of any credibility as a prestigious monocled RPG elitist site.

Supposedly highbrow conversation and "lol butthurt, fixed, :fffuuuuu: :smug: " prattle cannot coexist. It makes the place look like an anime board littered with 12-year-olds who've just discovered encyclopedia dramatica and think mudkips are hilarious.

Micmu

Magister
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
It's really just a matter of principle that having inane 4chan memes littering the posting menu pretty much robs us of any credibility as a prestigious monocled RPG elitist site.
THIS

But hey you can't stop dork underpants!

Yes, it's not like the constant tranny talk the reviews and opinions consisting of "shit sucks decline gave me cancer Gaiderrrrrrrr" are what fucks the codex's credibility, surely it's emoticons half the internet uses as well.

Edit: Can't forget about the nazi jokes, those do wonders for a forum's credibility.

Antihero

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Yes, it's not like the constant tranny talk the reviews and opinions consisting of "shit sucks decline gave me cancer Gaiderrrrrrrr" are what fucks the codex's credibility, surely it's emoticons half the internet uses as well.

One step at a time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom