Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

Jackalope

Arcane
Decided to play this game, because I have 2-3 hours to spare.

I like the art. And um pretty much that. The puzzles are pretty easy, though they do require quite a bit of aimless walking around. Worst part was when I had to backtrack from the sea town to the cloud town, because I missed a peach. A peach.
And the only reason to get the peach was to give it to some guards as an answer to a random riddle, that no one even cares about.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, I hit the same backtracking point. The sad thing is, I couldn't even tell that was a peach tree, so I was just spamming at that point.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Never did get around to playing this. I suppose I should take it for a spin sometime. The puzzles do look pretty easy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Never did get around to playing this. I suppose I should take it for a spin sometime. The puzzles do look pretty easy.
The first half of the game is pretty easy, but the second one has some decent puzzles.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We're playing through the boy's side of the game now, and it's a totally different experience. I gather they did the boy first, mostly ran out of resources, then did the girl? Because this side actually has a fairly large number of accessible rooms, parallel puzzles, internal coherence, and the occasional clever design. It's still very easy (though at the moment we've been stuck for about 5 minutes), but it's nowhere near as easy as the girl's side -- or maybe it just feels more like a real adventure and that makes me think of it as less easy.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We're playing through the boy's side of the game now, and it's a totally different experience. I gather they did the boy first, mostly ran out of resources, then did the girl? Because this side actually has a fairly large number of accessible rooms, parallel puzzles, internal coherence, and the occasional clever design. It's still very easy (though at the moment we've been stuck for about 5 minutes), but it's nowhere near as easy as the girl's side -- or maybe it just feels more like a real adventure and that makes me think of it as less easy.

Not sure about that. If you've watched the documentary, you should know that they've spent a pretty good chunk of working hours (read: budget) on that girl sacrifice scene at the very beginning.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Grabbed it now for a buck, even put the whole buck into the 'humble tip.'

fun fact: they still haven't shipped out the Box edition

Is this really true though? The game's a been out for like 18 months now!

Edit: 'four year later, I have a tablet game on my steam account and no box version in sight. YEAH. never again double fine!' posted 4 days ago by some fucker on Broken Age's kickstarter page. Christ...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's finally over: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure/posts/1740789

Your Final Rewards are coming + Double Fine Adventure: Definitive Edition

Hello, Backers of Adventure!
I love you!

Sorry, I got a little emotional there. Because this, at long last, is the FINAL UPDATE for this thing we have called the Double Fine Adventure. At least, that's what they tell me. I'm not so sure. You know, there's always that "oops!" update, where we left our phone at your house and need to come back. And then in a few months, we find your earrings in our couch. And then come the drunken, tearful updates in the middle of the night where we talk about how much we miss you. Oh man, let's not let this get weird! Let's be brave!

It's not like we have to stop talking or something. It's just the "final" update because we're (finally) delivering our FINAL BACKER REWARD! You may have received an email from Fangamer asking again if you are absolutely sure your shipping address is correct. And you were all, "Yeah, right. I've heard this before!" The difference is this time is... well, look!

77e2ed53cf1e617b9b0bc68cd9bffeeb_original.jpg

If you are one of our generous $100 backers, The Special Edition box of Broken Age is on its way to you in all it's big, cardboard glory. And I mean RIGHT NOW.

You are hopefully as excited as we are, but also you might reasonably be asking, "What took so long?" I hope when you check out the Blu-ray you'll understand. 2 Player Productions has created something really special for us all. Starting with the amazing, living menus, you can see the love that went into this thing. Then as you dig down through the multiple tracks of commentary for every episode, the thirty hours of bonus material, and all the other new goodies on this thing you'll start to realize, "Whoa. I'm about to spend a lot of quality time with this thing."

If you do watch it again--which I recommend, because each episode feels like it has a new meaning now--you will hopefully notice how much nicer every frame looks. 2PP color corrected every frame. Now, I don't know what that means, but when they turn it off, I look like I have the flu in every shot. So I'm glad it's there.

Oh, and there's a game on there too. About a girl and a boy and some six-sided robots. If you haven't played it, now's a great time! And when you're not playing or watching or kissing it, you can even enjoy putting it on your shelf. This box was designed (by the awesome Cory Schmitz) to look right at home alongside the big boxes LucasArts used to make in the 90s (The manufacturers sacrificed a classic copy of Day of the Tentacle in order to get the details juuuuust right). Retro cardboard shelf party!

Okay, so that's it for the rewards. Thank you for your patience, even those of you who were not patient. Now what? For some of us, the adventure is going to continue with Psychonauts 2. The crew is filming all our meetings and gathering footage for either another documentary, or just some sort of blackmail scheme. But whether you're part of that adventure or not, we will always be bound together by what happened on the Double Fine Adventure. You made it possible, you helped shaped its course, and you stood by us when times were tough. So I hope we'll still be seeing a lot of each other--on the forums, at PAX or Day of the Devs. So, see you around!

And one more time: THANKS FOR BACKING!

:') -Tim Schafer

Double Fine Adventure: Definitive Edition
Double Fine Adventure has been completely remastered for the Blu Ray release, with spoilers un-blurred, digital artifacts cleaned up, and scenes recolored. We've also compiled over 30 hours of bonus features.

Backers who pledged $30 and above will find this new edition of the series, with all of the extras too, on their VHX page right now for no additional cost! Simply head on over to video.doubelfine.com to start watching!

If you were one of the $15 tier backers and would like to watch, you can purchase this new edition today from Steam, VHX, GoG, and Humble. Head on over to the Double Fine Adventure website to see the different options each one provides!

Blu Ray Edition
$100+ tiers will all be receiving the Blu Ray edition (or DVD edition) in the mail soon! If you missed out on this tier but would like to get in on the action, a small quantity of Blu Rays (but not the collector's box) are now on sale on our store, tell your friends!

(Although Blu Rays will begin shipping right away, those who are owed one through backing will have priority over new purchases.)

Blu Ray Features:

3 Blu Ray Discs Featuring All 20 Episodes & Over 30 Hours of Bonus Features!

• New improved audio and video presentation: Cleaned up, Recolored, and previously blurred 'spoilers' now magically un-blurred
  • Two sets of Commentaries for every episode from the 2 Player Productions documentary team & Broken Age development team
  • Deleted, uncut, and extended scenes
  • Exclusive gatefold art by Nathan “Bagel” Stapley
  • Trailers, presentations, and more!
Data DVD featuring:

• Broken Age complete game for Windows, Mac, and Linux
  • Official Soundtrack in wav and mp3 format
  • Broken Age Digital Art Archive
  • including concept art, Full resolution game assets, Promotional artwork
Get it right now from Fangamer.com
70e719a3148907fa9d853576f900b722_original.jpg

ce167e77e53a47a8bd2fa1a3dc2657b9_original.jpg

4051b27d224c25a2c76ac6ed1564fde2_original.jpg

Details on shipments
Fangamer is working on shipping the boxes as we speak, and while general sales of the blu-ray set open today, backer boxes are being prioritized. It’s difficult to estimate arrival time for international shipping, but domestic orders should be arriving before the December holidays!

Fangamer recently sent out surveys to everyone asking for preferences of Blu Rays and DVDs and for confirmation of addresses. If you did not see this, if you want to change your answers, or if you have any questions or problems with at all, please email orders@fangamer.com

Please do not ask for support in the comments below!

If you do not hear from fangamer or are concerned something is going wrong and want to talk directly to us, please contact support@doublefine.com or hit us up on twitter.

Thank you all so much!

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I actually backed this and haven't played more than 10 minutes because it's so boring* tedious. On the other hand, the documentary was well worth the money to see a car crash happing in real time, and marvelling at the weird species of San-Franciscan and how they manage to somehow communicate and feed themselves.

* My school teacher told me not to use the word 'boring', but instead to explain why I'm finding it boring. But on this occasion, it's just boring. They'll have to refund my money if they want any constructive criticism - my time is precious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great! I think I will buy the Blu-Ray documentary sooner or later, it wold be nice to have it on physical disc. It is really one of the best gaming documentary of all time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom