Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can you use keyboard and mouse for all games? DISCUSS

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Does WASD allow for analog movement direction as well as analog aiming direction? Okay then.

Analog movement is meaningless when you can actually control the camera. Suddenly 8 directions become infinite. Mind-blowing, I know.
Yeah, using two hands to control movement is so fun.

I have never encountered a single game in my life that felt uncomfortable to play with mouse and keyboard.

dark souls 2? witcher 3?

Dark Souls sure, those are absolutely meant for gamepads. Witcher 3 doesn't really control significantly better with pad over kb/m, and considering how much more annoying menus get with gamepad I ended up choosing kb/m.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Witcher 3 doesn't really control significantly better with pad over kb/m, and considering how much more annoying menus get with gamepad I ended up choosing kb/m.

I also played with keyboard but it's quite obvious that movement/combat controls are designed for pads.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Does WASD allow for analog movement direction as well as analog aiming direction? Okay then.

Analog movement is meaningless when you can actually control the camera. Suddenly 8 directions become infinite. Mind-blowing, I know.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with the "console wars" forums you spend time on?

You should try using a mouse. It'll be an enlightening experience.

Witcher 3 doesn't really control significantly better with pad over kb/m, and considering how much more annoying menus get with gamepad I ended up choosing kb/m.

I also played with keyboard but it's quite obvious that movement/combat controls are designed for pads.

Just as they were in Witcher 2 and yet kb/m was superior to me in that one as well. Hell, even fucking radial menu was a lot more responsive with mouse. :D

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Are you sure you're not confusing this with the "console wars" forums you spend time on?

You should try using a mouse. It'll be an enlightening experience.
Sure as hell not doing that in Devil May Cry 4 or Arkham City.

Even besides analog movement, a G13+mouse is 10x better than KB+mouse.

buzz

Arcane
Ass Creed games play fine with kb/m. But there's also no actual gain from using kb/m in AC over gamepad, so if you do have a choice between both control devices I'd say you are better off relaxing in a chair with a pad for this series. All this butthurt is pretty funny though so please continue.
I'd also like to support the notion that having a choice of most comfortable control device for any given game is part of what makes PC superior to consoles, way more so than better graphics do, and that people who insist that "tru PC gaymurz" should only use kb/m for everything are just as retarded as those who use gamepad for any game that supports it. And I find it really funny that there are actually people here who find gamepads to be too complicated to learn to use, I've seen people proclaim it on this forum numerous times.
No one has a particular problem with gamepads, read the chain of posts of again.

The problem is with people justifying bad ports with "OH BUT IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER HURR"

Some dude (chestburster) complained about the shitty mouse acceleration in Unity. Then taxalot goes "oh but it's your fault for playing it with the wrong tools!" even if the previous Assassin's Creed games (as well as many other action games of any kind) are completely playable with mouse and keyboard.

Dark Souls games are the best example. Yes, it's better to play them with gamepad. But that has nothing to do with gamepads being superior for that type of game and everything to do with FromSoftware doing shoddy as fuck PC ports.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ass Creed games play fine with kb/m. But there's also no actual gain from using kb/m in AC over gamepad, so if you do have a choice between both control devices I'd say you are better off relaxing in a chair with a pad for this series. All this butthurt is pretty funny though so please continue.
I'd also like to support the notion that having a choice of most comfortable control device for any given game is part of what makes PC superior to consoles, way more so than better graphics do, and that people who insist that "tru PC gaymurz" should only use kb/m for everything are just as retarded as those who use gamepad for any game that supports it. And I find it really funny that there are actually people here who find gamepads to be too complicated to learn to use, I've seen people proclaim it on this forum numerous times.
No one has a particular problem with gamepads, read the chain of posts of again.

The problem is with people justifying bad ports with "OH BUT IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER HURR"

Some dude (chestburster) complained about the shitty mouse acceleration in Unity. Then taxalot goes "oh but it's your fault for playing it with the wrong tools!" even if the previous Assassin's Creed games (as well as many other action games of any kind) are completely playable with mouse and keyboard.

Dark Souls games are the best example. Yes, it's better to play them with gamepad. But that has nothing to do with gamepads being superior for that type of game and everything to do with FromSoftware doing shoddy as fuck PC ports.
It's really simple. Obviously any game is playable with KB+M. But certain genres - hack & slash games, platformers, dating sims, etc. are better to play with a gamepad. If you need accurate cursor movement or more hotkeys than a gamepad, you use KB+M. Otherwise, a gamepad gives you much easier control of X+Y movement.

Of course it's a different story if you're very experienced at FPS - able to do an accurate 180 degree turn.

Dunno what the others are thinking or saying, but I do play most games with KB+M, including Space Marine. But I sure as hell don't use KB+M for Arkham City.

To be honest, this is superior to KB+M and gamepads (besides the obvious joystick/HOTAS/wheel... or you're playing ARMA). Free up four fingers to use a dozen hotkeys without compromising movement:

keyboardsetc.jpg

buzz

Arcane
You see, with Arkham City. A gamepad doesn't offer any advantages in that game. The combat system literarily works with Batman auto-targeting enemies around him. Positioning matters so little in that game that any precision advantages on movement is useless. Aside from the occasional rolling around the tazer and shield guys, what is the point?

I've had combat scenes in the Arkham games where Batman would swoop over the fucking room to hit that one guy.

Now fighting games, that's a different matter. Doing those long-ass combos on a keyboard is a bitch, and a breeze with a gamepad. But for simplistic brawlers I've never had a problem.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You see, with Arkham City. A gamepad doesn't offer any advantages in that game. The combat system literarily works with Batman auto-targeting enemies around him. Positioning matters so little in that game that any precision advantages on movement is useless. Aside from the occasional rolling around the tazer and shield guys, what is the point?
Do you play on Easy?

buzz

Arcane
I played both on Normal and only the stealth parts were that really got me occasionally. And I'm far from the best guy at twitchy shit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I played both on Normal and only the stealth parts were that really got me occasionally. And I'm far from the best guy at twitchy shit.
Ah, you gotta play on Hard, man. I was joking about Easy because, really, the Normal is the new Easy in these games.

In Hard in Asylum, you don't get counter alerts. You do in Arkham City unfortunately, but it's somewhat balanced by those special enemies you mentioned... I have a feeling Hard is Harder because they add more special enemies per encounter as well as more gunners.

On hard, you need to really use gadgets... Grapple pull + punch is staple. Grapple pull + batarang is hilarious. There might be more gun enemies in Hard so you'd have to be thinking about how to disable them, whether grappling, disarm + break, throwing smoke at the enemies before you run in, or just targeting and attacking them up first - And they will pick up those guns as well as running to the gun cache (though that probably happens in Normal). One time there were two gunners standing right in front of a door you need to enter, and there's absolutely no way to stealth to them... I don't remember what I did, but throwing smoke at them might be the best option.

And then build up good combos for takedowns or even the stun one (I ended up using combo stun attack + beatdown attack to beat Axe-Man). Also, you need to constantly "swoop over the fucking room to hit that one guy" because that is one of the main ways to position yourself away from the horde. And then I like to hit enemies about to attack me rather than counter sometimes, because that does more damage, which means I have less enemies to chip away at me when I miss a counter, and it especially means I have less distractions from getting at a Titan or heavy armored guys that you need to spend time doing a beatdown (well, I tend to just special takedown the armored guys), or Axe guy.

I'm not saying it's a super hard game, but it's sufficient enough that a gamepad will help. Maybe not a lot more than KB + M, but I believe it is more helpful to some degree.

---

Side note: You seriously gotta just pick Hard mode for any game that comes out these days, especially console games. Unless it's Devil May Cry 3 or something. Avoid Normal like a plague.

Batman games are easy on Hard with kb/m. Having a faster and more precise camera control is actually an advantage during both combat and stealth parts.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Batman games are easy on Hard with kb/m. Having a faster and more precise camera control is actually an advantage during both combat and stealth parts.
That's quite true for Predator mode. But I'd rather have 360-degree movement than 8-directional movement... And I have no idea why you'd need camera control in combat, do you forget that there are enemies behind you?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay, tried KB + M, with a lot of time optimizing settings. Camera control is really nice. An advantage for sure. But I can't say it's a great advantage.

Buttons, though. I'm sorry, it's terribly annoying (in terms of fatigue) to hold down any key to glide except for the right mouse button. Actually the back thumb button, the LMB, and the RMB felt not "clunky." That's three keys... whereas I am using all 4 face buttons on the gamepad: Attack, Counter, Cape Stun, Glide/Run/Dodge. No, again, I will not hold down Space for 5 minutes while I glide around the city trying not to touch anything.

Yes, I hope you notice I do not like taking my 3 fingers from WASD, ever. (When I played Q3, my weapons were bound to Q, E, R, F, C, V or something, lol)

Then since I used Shift + mouse buttons for the quickfire gadgets (which I was perfectly okay with), I had to resort to using ALT + mouse buttons for the special combo moves. Because I still needed CTRL for crouching. On the gamepad, you can press two of the buttons together to activate a special combo move (X+Y, A+B, X+A, Y+B.. granted X+Y is fucking terrible).

I'm not sure how you guys play. Do you just attack + counter + do special attacks only against enemies that need them? I'm constantly using my batarangs and grapple (usually simultaneously, heh), freeze for CC sometimes, explosive gel because I keep accidentally using it, remote electrical probably not enough, special combo takedowns on armored enemies so I don't have to waste time with capestun+beatdown, bat summoning stun to isolate Hammer Man, Multi Takedown if I manage to actually notice down enemies in the clusterfuck. Just added flying jump kick and slide kick to my repertoire, too.

Maybe I had a different experience because I upgraded only the Gadget and Predator trees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom