Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Boring game today. But I liked how Magnus neutered Anand's Knight that had moved all the way from B1 and then did 0-0-0.

I don't like Anand's play style. He always goes for reducing the number of pieces which leads to remis positions and early end game. So far in the match the only surprising moves he's done has been poor ones. Magnus is more aggressive in his style and sometimes does good moves that none of the experts foresee.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, Anand has been pretty timid in this match, even surprisingly so. I think Magnus pretty much has this in the bag, as long as he doesn't get overconfident and careless. :)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Anand should switch to something else than 1.e4. He isn't going to break the Berlin Wall.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anyone ever seen a Tamerlane's Chess Set for sale anywhere? It seems like such a delightfully eccentric chess spin-off that I'd love to try out, but I can't find any sets for sale.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Anand has no real chance. Carlssen has a deeper understanding of even the tiniest features of a position and thus can seemingly grind out the smallest advantages or equal positions. It showed in the first decisive game: The position was about equal with just the smallest edge for white. Anand probably went for a wrong plan when he put the rook to d4 since in his mind he tried to defend actively and a few moves later a mistake followed. Hjust had to hold still, deny whites pieces good squares and draw the game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone ever seen a Tamerlane's Chess Set for sale anywhere? It seems like such a delightfully eccentric chess spin-off that I'd love to try out, but I can't find any sets for sale.

Nope, most people apparently make their own either by carving the pieces (i.e. you can probably take a few normal sets and mutilate/colour them to make Tamerlane pieces) or just glueing the symbols on top of draughts pieces:
2091961113_36f64a3d45_o.jpg
Just curious, any of you bro's have official ratings?

Not me, I'm still very much a beginner. :oops:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Nope, most people apparently make their own either by carving the pieces (i.e. you can probably take a few normal sets and mutilate/colour them to make Tamerlane pieces) or just glueing the symbols on top of draughts pieces:
2091961113_36f64a3d45_o.jpg

Damn! Would have liked to get a real board. Surprise the fuck out of my friend when he challenges me to a game and I start putting down giraffes. He'd know right away that somethings up when I bring out a custom board.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
mine is ~2000 as well, great game for a world championship match btw, hahaha j/k what a joke

remember when Anand snapped at the Journalist for asking him to clarify what "try his best" means?

Apparently this is trying his best.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Today at the press conference Anand said something along the lines that he will try harder in the next game. :P

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Disappointing game today. I don't understand why Anand don't try something more exciting than Ruy Lopez. Why not Sicilian?
Even Magnus is starting to play a quiet game because he knows Anand won't even make an effort. Seems like Anand's goal now is to not lose with more than 2 points.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Pretty tense game. Since the protected passer probably ensures a favorable ending, it seems it's either bash black flat or lose for Anand.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Whichever way it goes, props to Vishy for going for it, finally - although it's not like he had a lot of choice. :P

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Wow and just after I wrote that last post, Anand dropped it. Looks like we might have a new World Champion soon (which I'm happy about, personally - I was rooting for Magnus)! :)

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Sad, and I thought Anand calculated that line to the end. Position was still equal up until Nf1; Bf1 forces black to give the queen back and whites attack also forces black to give the piece back on f6 -> drawish ending.
But Carlsen really deserves it, he is the best player (ever).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Best game in the match so far, and it was refreshing to see Anand playing aggressively for a change.
Too bad he blundered and ruined what could have been a very exciting end game. :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
are you guys watching a chess stream or what

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom