Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Azarkon

Arcane
Also, though, I think a big part of it is that he can never regain two ingredients that made his PS:T work possible: the energy and detachment of a young man are lost to him forever. Even if he had the same creative circumstances and team around him, I doubt he'd want to, or be able to, work the same long hours. So the game would have to shrink, or his role would have to shrink, or both. We are all laid low by life.

A consequence of the industry, perhaps, but it is striking how different the ingredients of success are here described from other creative enterprises. Many of the finest works of literature and film were made by people older than Avellone. Spielberg released Poltergeist when he was 46, Schindler's List and Jurassic Park at 47, Saving Private Ryan at 54, Minority Report at 58, and is still directing top movies in his 60s. Kubrick released 2001 when he was 40, A Clockwork Orange when he was 43, The Shining when he was 52, and Eyes Wide Shut after his death at 71. Tolkien began writing The Lord of the Rings at 45, while Martin started writing A Song of Ice and Fire at the age of 43, and is still at it at the age of 67. Maybe we should add Dostoyevsky since he is brought up so much on the Codex: Crime and Punishment at 45, The Idiot at 48, Demons at 51, and The Brothers Karamazov at 59.

Chris Avellone is 44, unless I'm mistaken, so he is at the age when writers and film makers produce most of their greatest masterpieces. This should be the height of his career - it certainly was for the above directors and writers - not the middle of the long decline. In case the video game industry is not structured so as to allow creators to realize their visions at their fullest maturity, then perhaps that is a problem with the video game industry, and not with the age of the creators.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
To all game devs: :lol:

Tell me with a straight face that Fallout 4 isn't a steaming pile of garbage. How many games are even worth the time it took to assemble them? One in five? One in ten?

In case the video game industry is not structured so as to allow creators to realize their visions at their fullest maturity, then perhaps that is a problem with the video game industry, and not with the age of the creator.
Wasn't Ken Rolston like a hundred when he worked on Morrowind?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Every creative genius ever has created his masterpieces late in life, with the possible exception of Penderecki. Why? A lifetime of experience. They are almost always profound and groundbreaking.

Azarkon

Arcane
Every creative genius ever has created his masterpieces late in life. With the possible exception of Penderecki. Why? A lifetime of experience in the field. They are almost always profound and groundbreaking.

Musicians are a bit different, I feel, from the rest, but this is not the time or the place, since Avellone is not a musician and we're not looking for a symphony from him. In fact, he doesn't even design very excellent systems. He is a writer above all, and literary maturity is usually reached later in life, than earlier. He should be producing his best works starting from now, not ending with now. This is why it's so frustrating to watch him not do anything.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't think these are valid comparisons. It doesn't take more or less time to write a book or compose a song now than it did 100 years ago. In regards to work and money issues, filmmaking has been very similar for more than a decade. Game development cycles are getting longer and more expensive, and that means even more intense work hours. Back in PS:T he worked to the point where he put his health at great risk and had to see a doctor.
Would he do that today? I don't think so. Feargus offered him the chance to Kickstart a spiritual successor to PS:T, and he said he didn't want to go on "another death march". And if he thinks that what it'd take, he shouldn't. His health should come first, specially now.

His writing now could be the best of his career, much like the authors mentioned above, but his design and director work wouldn't be the same. The hard part would be for him to find the right team, with people competent enough to cover the parts to which he can't dedicate as much energy anymore. Tall order as a freelancer, but who knows...

CWjn39GWoAAZEiz.jpg:large

Lacrymas

Arcane
Musicians are a bit different, I feel, from the rest, but this is not the time or the place, since Avellone is not a musician and we're not looking for a symphony from him. In fact, he doesn't even design very excellent systems. He is a writer above all, and literary maturity is usually reached later in life, than earlier. He should be producing his best works starting from now, not ending with now. This is why it's so frustrating to watch him not do anything.

Not really, I can't think of a single exception other than Penderecki (who wrote his magnum opus at 32, he's 80+ now). Bach's Missa in H moll and the Passions were written late in his life. Haydn wrote his best symphonies, quartets and The Creation oratorio late. Mozart, who died very early though, wrote his Requiem, Don Giovanni and Symphony 41 late. Beethoven wrote his final quartets, which are unimaginably profound and different from anything else ever, late. Brahms wrote his first Symphony and his German Requiem at 40+. Liszt's late works are almost atonal. I can go on. That doesn't mean they didn't create masterful pieces earlier, but they pale in comparison to the profundity of their late works.

That's normal, no human being has ever been born with knowledge and skill, so the better and more knowledgeable you become the better your work is going to be. I do hope Chris' great works don't end with PS:T and KotOR2. He IS doing things but they always end up cut or unfinished, that is more painful to watch. I hate wasted potential.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think that something happened to the game industry in the 80s/90s -- but figuring out what exactly it is, and how it happened, is tricky, especially because naturally our nostalgia and elitism distort recollections.

For example, I was prepared to go on a rant about days when guys like Mike Singleton or Jordan Mechner or Richard Garriott or Sid Meier or the Williamses or the Murrys had these fantastical visions that they built with these amazing feats of coding, not to mention polymathematic skills where they not only coded under impossible limitations but also designed brand-new genres, created great visuals, etc. But to be honest, is that really so different from what Notch did with Minecraft or Derek Yu did with Spelunky or the Yavuzes did on Mount and Blade or random mapmakers did in creating DOTA for Warcraft III? The truth is, there's actually still quite a bit of utterly implausible feats being pulled off by small developers all the time.

Still, even if I try to convince myself of that, it still seems to me that there was something different back then -- more experimentation, more ambition, maybe. Maybe just so many barriers to entry that designers were much more likely to be super-high-IQ eccentrics rather than ordinary folks. Hard to say. I don't think it's so much that customers' tastes become more decadent, though. People always loved cutting edge audiovisuals, nice interfaces, "cinematic" experiences, "realism" and so forth. The difference (I think?) is that as storage media got way bigger, it became practical to have larger teams making larger games -- a couple smart guys could make the best graphics in the industry back in the 1980s: hell, all it took for Mechner to pull it off was a rented videocamera and some clever tricks. Nowadays that's just not possible any more. Pushing the graphical envelope requires a bigger team and a bigger budget, and, as I noted in another thread, once size gets past a certain point, "eccentric genius control-freak" goes from an asset to a liability. In some ways, the miracle is not that Garriott made the older Ultimas largely by himself but that anyone could suffer under him to make the later Ultimas as a team. :D

The problem is as the game industry became more professional, the more it attracted careerists who has no vocation for it. Developers like Sid Meier took an informal passionate approach to game design that runs in the opposite direction of opportunistic types like Todd Howard. The increasing trend in triple-A also represents another problem, because it made game developing more bureaucratic and specialized. The guy who design little details in GTA must be a soulless individual bored out of his mind. The industry is literally filled with thousands of individuals who are very competent in squashing bugs and meeting deadlines, but are devoid of any passion or ideas. What is worse is that probably 90% of the few who still having some passion are either indies, or popamoles, or crazy, or all the above.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Also, though, I think a big part of it is that he can never regain two ingredients that made his PS:T work possible: the energy and detachment of a young man are lost to him forever. Even if he had the same creative circumstances and team around him, I doubt he'd want to, or be able to, work the same long hours. So the game would have to shrink, or his role would have to shrink, or both. We are all laid low by life.

A consequence of the industry, perhaps, but it is striking how different the ingredients of success are here described from other creative enterprises. Many of the finest works of literature and film were made by people older than Avellone. Spielberg released Poltergeist when he was 46, Schindler's List and Jurassic Park at 47, Saving Private Ryan at 54, Minority Report at 58, and is still directing top movies in his 60s. Kubrick released 2001 when he was 40, A Clockwork Orange when he was 43, The Shining when he was 52, and Eyes Wide Shut after his death at 71. Tolkien began writing The Lord of the Rings at 45, while Martin started writing A Song of Ice and Fire at the age of 43, and is still at it at the age of 67. Maybe we should add Dostoyevsky since he is brought up so much on the Codex: Crime and Punishment at 45, The Idiot at 48, Demons at 51, and The Brothers Karamazov at 59.

Chris Avellone is 44, unless I'm mistaken, so he is at the age when writers and film makers produce most of their greatest masterpieces. This should be the height of his career - it certainly was for the above directors and writers - not the middle of the long decline. In case the video game industry is not structured so as to allow creators to realize their visions at their fullest maturity, then perhaps that is a problem with the video game industry, and not with the age of the creators.
I can't speak for "the industry" -- either on its behalf or as someone who has gone through its meatgrinder. I'm fortunate that it's always been a hobby where I can avoid jobs that have perpetual crunch time or whatever.

What I can say as a writer/designer, though, is that I think this is a pretty good example of how analogizing games to the non-interactive* arts is misleading. (* Obviously, all art is interactive to a degree: we assign meaning to the art as we absorb it, mixing it with our own experiences and imaginations. But you know what I'm talking about: movies, books, comics, songs, etc.)

I am confident that Spielberg worked really hard on those movies and that those writers worked hard on their books, but it's a totally different kind of work than the kind of work Avellone did on PS:T. One crude measure is that Avellone wrote about three times as many words for PS:T as Dostoevsky did for The Brothers Karamazov. Quantity isn't quality, but certain kind of gameplay demands quantity in a way that (IMHO) isn't true of film or fiction. In the case of PS:T, the quantity and quality are (IMHO, at least) inextricably intertwined. While you could definitely have cut some parts of the game (like Curst, perhaps) without harming the core, Curst is subject to excision precisely because it is underwritten and (as I understand it) not really written by Avellone.

What makes PS:T special -- or, one part of it -- is that there is this huge diversity of characters and encounters, which can be approached and resolved in a huge variety of ways, but running through all that diversity is a coherent authorial voice. The reason why (again IMHO) having one author makes such a difference is that there are some things that are not reducible to "writing standards" or fixable through editors doing back-end passes.

For example, sometimes a writer says, "This is going to be a theme/symbol, and I will weave it through multiple encounters." He could put that in a file called "Design - Themes/Symbols" alongside other writers' themes and symbols, and they could cross pollinate in that way. All well and good. But oftentimes a writer doesn't even know he's weaving a theme or varying upon a symbol throughout his writing. It just happens because that theme is a part of him, the writing is an expression of him, and so the theme appears throughout. Things sit in a writer's mind like grains of sand in an oyster, and writers work them over unconsciously.

So I think PS:T is more than what Avellone consciously put into it -- that's true of any work of writing. When it is a composite work of writing, it is easier to harmonize the conscious elements than it is to harmonize the unconscious elements. A good editor can catch some of the unconscious elements, but sometimes there are elements that are unconsciously written and unconsciously read -- neither the writer nor the reader knows they're there, but they are, and they build upon each other. When those double-unconscious elements harmonize, you end up with a work that feels "whole," like PS:T, though PS:T is of course not perfect in this regard or in any other regard, merely very, very good.

In a movie, a strong-minded director can impose an auterial vision and thus (to some degree) achieve that kind of harmony. But whereas a movie might take a few months of hard work, a game like PS:T takes a writer years of grinding. A novel can take much longer than a game to write, but novelists are not necessarily working under the same time pressures: a game writer has not merely the pressure of the publisher/market, but also the fact that there are other team members working in tandem. All of this means that you can go about it with a crop-cycling rhythm like GRRM: you work your field till the soil is dead.

You can do that at 20, but not at 40.

Azarkon

Arcane
I don't think these are valid comparisons. It doesn't take more or less time to write a book or compose a song now than it did 100 years ago. In regards to work and money issues, filmmaking has been very similar for more than a decade. Game development cycles are getting longer and more expensive, and that means even more intense work hours. Back in PS:T he worked to the point where he put his health at great risk and had to see a doctor.
Would he do that today? I don't think so. Feargus offered him the chance to Kickstart a spiritual successor to PS:T, and he said he didn't want to go on "another death march". And if he thinks that what it'd take, he shouldn't. His health should come first, specially now.

His writing now could be the best of his career, much like the authors mentioned above, but his design and director work wouldn't be the same. The hard part would be for him to find the right team, with people competent enough to cover the parts to which he can't dedicate as much energy anymore. Tall order as a freelancer, but who knows...

Management is also a skill that improves with age, not that I think he should be managing and directing at the same time; that's too much work for any one person, and there should be a separation of responsibilities.

To bring up another example that I think is relevant, consider the career of Hayao Miyazaki, considered one of the two greatest writer-directors in Japanese animation, who has been cited earlier. Below is a fair list of what could be considered his best works:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind -- 43
Castle in the Sky -- 48
My Neighbor Totoro -- 50
Princess Mononoke -- 56
Spirited Away -- 60
Howl's Moving Castle -- 63
Ponyo -- 67
The Secret World of Arrietty - 69
The Wind Rises - 72, said to be his last film

Since I see directing in films as the closest analogy from another creative industry to video game design outside of systems, I cannot see how you would argue that Avellone is now too old to "direct" a game. Yes, game development cycles are longer due to all else that goes on behind a game, but Avellone doesn't have to be in charge of the programming, debugging, systems design, platform testing, etc. He should be in charge of the story, the characters, the themes, the world design and perhaps the art vision.

Weasel
Game development cycles are getting longer and more expensive, and that means even more intense work hours.

That seems like a bit of a generalisation, as team sizes have changed and art assets seem to be the main area of expansion. I get the impression a lot of the people working now wouldn't put in the hours of a Bradley or someone from back in the day. And PST had a lot of writing by any standards considering how much MCA handled himself.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Game development cycles are getting longer and more expensive, and that means even more intense work hours.
Only if you're a megalomaniac company that feels the need to create these enormous behemoth products that have 5-year development cycles. No reason games can't be shorter or smaller. Personally, I like huge games, but scope shouldn't be an excuse for lack of vision or fear of trying.

Feargus offered him the chance to Kickstart a spiritual successor to PS:T, and he said he didn't want to go on "another death march".
Again, why not make a 15-hour Torment-lite? Must everything be huge and bloated? I want my RPGs at 100 hours or more, sure, but there's nothing wrong with smaller, more polished games. Look at Banner Saga. It leaves much to be desired, but it's a step in the right direction.

Tall order as a freelancer, but who knows...
This, tbh. Not easy to put together an all-star team without at least some financial backing. Then again, an MCA Kickstarter would probably raise in excess of 1mil dollars.

I hate wasted potential.
You're not the only one.

The industry is literally filled with thousands of individuals who are very competent in squashing bugs and meeting deadlines, but are devoid of any passion or ideas.
You hit the nail on the head with that comment. Look at the modern garbage that passes for AAA games nowadays: Fallout 4, Mass Effect 3, etc. Soulless shit.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

I don't buy it. Andrew Willes proved Fermat’s last theorem with 42. Worked seven years to finish his proof. Do you have any idea how difficult this is? For me, this talk about age is just an excuse to justify laziness and lack of passion. What really happens is that most people get tired of doing the same thing and develop other interests, who also eat their time, energy and focus. In any area, you will find counter-examples to this “olds are decadent” rule. VD is not 20. I bet that the writing of AoD was much more demanding than PS:T.

Azarkon

Arcane
I am confident that Spielberg worked really hard on those movies and that those writers worked hard on their books, but it's a totally different kind of work than the kind of work Avellone did on PS:T. One crude measure is that Avellone wrote about three times as many words for PS:T as Dostoevsky did for The Brothers Karamazov. Quantity isn't quality, but certain kind of gameplay demands quantity in a way that (IMHO) isn't true of film or fiction. In the case of PS:T, the quantity and quality are (IMHO, at least) inextricably intertwined. While you could definitely have cut some parts of the game (like Curst, perhaps) without harming the core, Curst is subject to excision precisely because it is underwritten and (as I understand it) not really written by Avellone.

Dostoevsky was a fast writer, but he probably still put in more time per sentence than Avellone or any video game writer did. Quantity is indeed not quality; and I wouldn't say that PS:T worked because all of its writing was top-notch. There were cringe-inducing moments in that game, too, but the moments of brilliance made up for it. And moreover, PS:T had more lines than should probably exist in a game, since it had many "wall of text" dumps that were not necessary.

What makes PS:T special -- or, one part of it -- is that there is this huge diversity of characters and encounters, which can be approached and resolved in a huge variety of ways, but running through all that diversity is a coherent authorial voice. The reason why (again IMHO) having one author makes such a difference is that there are some things that are not reducible to "writing standards" or fixable through editors doing back-end passes.

For example, sometimes a writer says, "This is going to be a theme/symbol, and I will weave it through multiple encounters." He could put that in a file called "Design - Themes/Symbols" alongside other writers' themes and symbols, and they could cross pollinate in that way. All well and good. But oftentimes a writer doesn't even know he's weaving a theme or varying upon a symbol throughout his writing. It just happens because that theme is a part of him, the writing is an expression of him, and so the theme appears throughout. Things sit in a writer's mind like grains of sand in an oyster, and writers work them over unconsciously.

So I think PS:T is more than what Avellone consciously put into it -- that's true of any work of writing. When it is a composite work of writing, it is easier to harmonize the conscious elements than it is to harmonize the unconscious elements. A good editor can catch some of the unconscious elements, but sometimes there are elements that are unconsciously written and unconsciously read -- neither the writer nor the reader knows they're there, but they are, and they build upon each other. When those double-unconscious elements harmonize, you end up with a work that feels "whole," like PS:T, though PS:T is of course not perfect in this regard or in any other regard, merely very, very good.

I think it is important for a game to be written and directed by 1-2 people working closely together. I am aware that this is not current practice, but it is one of the reasons I think video games cannot approach films and novels in artistic merit.

In a movie, a strong-minded director can impose an auterial vision and thus (to some degree) achieve that kind of harmony. But whereas a movie might take a few months of hard work, a game like PS:T takes a writer years of grinding. A novel can take much longer than a game to write, but novelists are not necessarily working under the same time pressures: a game writer has not merely the pressure of the publisher/market, but also the fact that there are other team members working in tandem. All of this means that you can go about it with a crop-cycling rhythm like GRRM: you work your field till the soil is dead.

I think the important take-away here is that the industry is the way it is because of the way it is, not because this is how it should be. If you start with the premise that a game must be developed within two years - and many games today take a lot longer, in fact - then there is obviously no time for a writer-director to impose and closely monitor an authorial vision on the game, because you need to get 20-40+ hours of gameplay done in a year + change. But I don't think directors work any less hard than game developers during the period in which they are "crunching" - as they also have to travel, be on site, deal with problems on a daily basis, etc. Writers probably work less hard per hour but not necessarily per sentence. The idea that you could only do this at 20 might be the case if we're talking about current conditions, but I don't think the current conditions are ideal, and if it is, then it would explain why our industry is so immature - because people's ideas rarely mature when they're 20.

Fairfax

Arcane

Management is also a skill that improves with age, not that I think he should be managing and directing at the same time; that's too much work for any one person, and there should be a separation of responsibilities.

To bring up another example that I think is relevant, consider the career of Hayao Miyazaki, considered one of the two greatest writer-directors in Japanese animation, who has been cited earlier. Below is a fair list of what could be considered his best works:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind -- 43
Castle in the Sky -- 48
My Neighbor Totoro -- 50
Princess Mononoke -- 56
Spirited Away -- 60
Howl's Moving Castle -- 63
Ponyo -- 67
The Secret World of Arrietty - 69
The Wind Rises - 72, said to be his last film

Since I see directing in films as the closest analogy from another creative industry to video game design outside of systems, I cannot see how you would argue that Avellone is now too old to "direct" a game. Yes, game development cycles are longer due to all else that goes on behind a game, but Avellone doesn't have to be in charge of the programming, debugging, systems design, platform testing, etc. He should be in charge of the story, the characters, the themes, the world design and perhaps the art vision.
He doesn't want to manage anything, though.And I'm not arguing he's too old to direct a game. That's not the case at all. I just don't think it'd be like PS:T, with his hand all over almost every aspect of it.

As for Miyazaki, Ghibli has 300 employees, and his films don't take as much work as a game like PS:T. Most the intense work is the manual labour behind drawing it all, yet IIRC Spirted Away took just a year to be finished, for instance. Games have systems design, area design, scripting, programming, QA, and MCA had to worry and/or work on all of these one way or another.
This is not inherently the case, mind you. This is a strict comparison between the extent of his involvement in PS:T and filmmaking. Most directors/writers don't do nearly as much as he did.

That seems like a bit of a generalisation, as team sizes have changed and art assets seem to be the main area of expansion. I get the impression a lot of the people working now wouldn't put in the hours of a Bradley or someone from back in the day. And PST had a lot of writing by any standards considering how much MCA handled himself.
Yes, but his magnum opus would have at least the same scope, if not bigger.

Tall order as a freelancer, but who knows...
This, tbh. Not easy to put together an all-star team without at least some financial backing. Then again, an MCA Kickstarter would probably raise in excess of 1mil dollars.
I'm 100% sure it'd raise more. I actually sent him some data on the effect he had as a stretch goal in TTON and D:OS2, but he didn't say much. I'm not sure he was convinced. :lol:

Azarkon

Arcane
As for Miyazaki, Ghibli has 300 employees, and his films don't take as much work as a game like PS:T. Most the intense work is the manual labour behind drawing it all, yet IIRC Spirted Away took just a year to be finished, for instance. Games have systems design, area design, scripting, programming, QA, and MCA had to worry and/or work on all of these one way or another.
This is not inherently the case, mind you. This is a strict comparison between the extent of his involvement in PS:T and filmmaking. Most directors/writers don't do nearly as much as he did.

I brought up Miyazaki because he was cited above as having his hand in every frame of a specific film, and I wanted to observe that he did not do this when he was young.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Every creative genius ever has created his masterpieces late in life, with the possible exception of Penderecki. Why? A lifetime of experience. They are almost always profound and groundbreaking.

That depends on the subject matter. In areas like physics and math, especially math, the main breakthroughs can pop up in the 20s – see Einstein and Newton. Even in areas like philosophy, you can have relatively young individuals making big contributions. David Hume wrote his Treatise when he was twenty-eight years old.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That depends on the subject matter. In areas like physics and math, especially math, the main breakthroughs can pop up in the 20s – see Einstein and Newton. Even in areas like philosophy, you can have relatively young making big contributions. David Hume wrote his Treatise when he was twenty-eight years old.

I was mostly talking about art. Not that science and philosophy aren't art, but they are a bit different, and from each other. Nothing is stopping people from making breakthroughs at a young age, of course, so more power to them.

Azarkon

Arcane
This is why it's so frustrating to watch him not do anything.

this talk about age is just an excuse to justify laziness and lack of passion

When did this turn into a 'Shit On MCA' thread? :?

Perhaps we are worried about him spending all his time giving talks at conferences, instead of making CRPGs.

I think the age thing is a red herring. It doesn't matter how old he was numerically, it's just that he had ideas and energy then and not now.

We know little about why he's not produced much in the last decade. The popular opinion is still to blame Obsidian.

Fairfax

Arcane

Perhaps we are worried about him spending all his time giving talks at conferences, instead of making CRPGs.

I think the age thing is a red herring. It doesn't matter how old he was numerically, it's just that he had ideas and energy then and not now.

We know little about why he's not produced much in the last decade. The popular opinion is still to blame Obsidian.
He's got a few very good reasons not to be taking on big projects at the moment. He's already mentioned personal issues here in this thread, for instance.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Perhaps we are worried about him spending all his time giving talks at conferences, instead of making CRPGs

Or supporting and being influenced by SJW retarders in his spare time.

But he produced a lot since kickstarter. Maybe the problem is exactly this, he was doing too many things at the same time, writing novellas, doing LPs, interviews, etc.; instead of focusing on one game. His two characters in PoE are great, but his work on W2 was bad. We will see what TToN will look like. The problem is that we always judge him by PS:T. Which is silly, if you think about it. The writing in PS:T is especially strong due to the way he used the concept behind it: you are immortal who had a past you forgot. He was inspired enough to make a game world that supported this concept throughout the quests, which make it so unique. I don’t think we will see something that memorable again without any intelligent concept, being his solo project or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom