Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Classic Warhammer/Warhammer 40K games released on GOG

DramaticPopcorn

Get Chaos Gate, men. I can't stress it enough

Kersey

Educated
Screenshot of Rites of War:
6GATGWe.jpg
Screenshot of the GOG release:
Mg6npGv.jpg
Looks like they didn't bother to include the font Rites of War wants to install on your system. I remember it was a slight problem when installing Rites of War on my Windows XP machine as well, I would have to manually install the font to get the game to look right.

I still have the box lying around somewhere, though it is the European release that wasn't compatible with the only available patch and as far as I can remember had more trouble running on my XP setup than the US version that I acquired an... unofficial release of for comparison's sake. As for the patch, I never could find any information about what it changes so maybe it wasn't essential. Or maybe the European customers were simply screwed over by the included copy protection as was pretty common at that time. Those were the days.

Anyway, gud game. But naturally I won't touch this new release without the fancy font in its proper place :obviously:

catfood

AGAIN
Screenshot of Rites of War:
6GATGWe.jpg
Screenshot of the GOG release:
Mg6npGv.jpg
Looks like they didn't bother to include the font Rites of War wants to install on your system. I remember it was a slight problem when installing Rites of War on my Windows XP machine as well, I would have to manually install the font to get the game to look right.

I still have the box lying around somewhere, though it is the European release that wasn't compatible with the only available patch and as far as I can remember had more trouble running on my XP setup than the US version that I acquired an... unofficial release of for comparison's sake. As for the patch, I never could find any information about what it changes so maybe it wasn't essential. Or maybe the European customers were simply screwed over by the included copy protection as was pretty common at that time. Those were the days.

Anyway, gud game. But naturally I won't touch this new release without the fancy font in its proper place :obviously:

Good to see they added a font that is actually readable. Instabuy! :incline:

Kersey

Educated
Good to see they added a font that is actually readable. Instabuy! :incline:
The original font is easily readable.

But you could always remove it from your system to achieve the same result with the original game.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Are these games any good? Or are they terrible but they should be played for historical value? Or both?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Are these games any good? Or are they terrible but they should be played for historical value? Or both?
At least 40k games range from ok to good, but there is but
Rites of War is good, but it is not Fantasy General good.
Chaos Gate is good squad based tactical game, but it is not on par with X-com, Jagged Alliance 2 or Silent Storm.
Final Liberation is ok-ish Steel Panthers like with greatest FMV cut scenes ever, but I had to disable those because cut scenes keep crashing the damn thing.:negative:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing Chaos Gate. Well, started to play it and have finished one mission so far. Great game. All my brothers in arms got XP, but I don't see any stat increases? Do stat increase automatically or do I have to increase them myself somehow? Not sure how it works.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Been playing Chaos Gate. Well, started to play it and have finished one mission so far. Great game. All my brothers in arms got XP, but I don't see any stat increases? Do stat increase automatically or do I have to increase them myself somehow? Not sure how it works.

Stat increases happen when they get a promotion to the "next level" (I don't remember exactly, something like Veteran, Champion, Hero). They are auto, no control on 'em.

If you have any questions, ask freely. I love Chaos Gate THIS MUCH

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah, cool thanks. It's awesome so far. Btw, what kind of medals can the marines earn? Do the medals do anything or is it just for flavor/extra xp?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Ah, cool thanks. It's awesome so far. Btw, what kind of medals can the marines earn? Do the medals do anything or is it just for flavor/extra xp?

Out of my brain:

+ Hitting 10/20 (?, don't remember) times in a mission with a ranged weapon;

+ Killing 5 enemies in a mission gives the Marine the Crux Terminatus, and he can later use the Tactical Dreadnaught Armour (Termies);

+ Not breaking (be careful of Flamethrowers) for 5 missions gives him a purity seal;

+ And if he completes the mission objectives in a campaign mission a Marine gets one.

They give extra xp. Remember then, at least in the first random milssions, to let everyone shoot and hit at least once (so you get the "combat experience" bonus).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Nice, thanks for info. My sergeant secured the relic in the first mission and he got the "Imperial laurel".

I recorded the mission if interested.

Very excited to continue playing the game. It got that old school tactical feeling to it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first squad which is locked (you can only swap them with other marines with the Crux Terminatus) has better stat gain than the other marines on average. I recommend you swapping them with other marines that got the CT as soon as you can to level them up.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I installed Chaos Gate this week, I think on monday. Was pretty surprised to see it launch and run without any trubble given how infamous it is in that regard. I'm on campaign mission 5 atm and it's working splendidly.

Also, it's properly cheesy for a 40k gaem. MAY THE DARK ONES TASTE MY SOUL.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I installed Chaos Gate this week, I think on monday. Was pretty surprised to see it launch and run without any trubble given how infamous it is in that regard. I'm on campaign mission 5 atm and it's working splendidly.

Also, it's properly cheesy for a 40k gaem. MAY THE DARK ONES TASTE MY SOUL.

Yeah, gog actually saved this game. Before this you had to run it on a windows 95 emulator thingy. Pain in the ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom