Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Success: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lopment-costs-in-a-week-on-steam-early-access

Conan Exiles recoups development costs in a week on Steam Early Access

Norwegian developer Funcom struggled for years creating a hit game. Age of Conan didn't quite do it, nor did The Secret World, nor did Lego Minifigures Online. Things got tough. But Funcom may have at last found the hit in new sandbox survival game Conan Exiles.

Conan Exiles sold 320,000 units on Steam Early Access in one week, priced £26.99. It has already recouped development costs, according to a Funcom statement.

CEO Rui Casais commented: "Funcom has gone through some challenging times in recent years and seeing the game we have poured so much time and effort into gain this amount of traction so quickly is very invigorating for everyone who works here.

"This is just the start of the Early Access adventure and we will do whatever it takes to make sure Conan Exiles turns into a fully-fledged game that has something to offer new and old fans of both Conan and survival games."

Funcom also announced the release of an official Conan Exiles dev kit for modders, and Steam Workshop support. You'll need to download the Unreal launcher to get started modding.

Funcom said server provider issues, and a higher than expected influx of players, led to official server issues in the days following launch. Thankfully, hundreds of player-run servers were there to take the load. As of now, the team will be divided, half making new content, half fixing bugs and addressing other issues.

jpg

Can't imagine its popularity has anything to do with nudity. No sirree.

I've been playing Conan Exiles and wrote a piece about it today. The game has real promise, a semblance of an endgame beyond simply surviving, but getting that far can be an exercise in frustration. Stick with it if you can. Or wait until the kinks have been ironed out further into Early Access.

Incidentally, an Xbox One launched is planned for spring via the Xbox Preview Program.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Does it mean they spent ~7 million on development? That's just crazy. I can make Conan with 5 guys in 1.5 years. I know that hiring more people makes everyone less efficient but 7 mil this is just crazy.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Does it mean they spent ~7 million on development? That's just crazy. I can make Conan with 5 guys in 1.5 years. I know that hiring more people makes everyone less efficient but 7 mil this is just crazy.

Except you'd make it unity and it would be a laggy piece of shit.. oh wait.. that's what they have too

ortucis

Prophet
Goddammit, logged out of a server to rejoin another one where I built a large structure, only to have the game update. Now have to wait for the servers to get updated. Derp.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
So after such commercial success, are there any chances for additional testing keys bylam ? 8)
I'd love to test it but I'm not sure how it will even run on my laptop.

ortucis

Prophet
So after such commercial success, are there any chances for additional testing keys bylam ? 8)
I'd love to test it but I'm not sure how it will even run on my laptop.

Buy it, test it under 2 hrs, return it if it doesn't run.

Do keep in mind, it's an Early Access game, so chances of you running an optimized game are none, cause this game has performance issues for everyone.

Luckily, I tweaked my ini settings and am getting 45-55 fps pretty much everywhere now. Game takes a visual hit but it still look good enough. With the latest patch, I did see a slight jump in performance, which allowed me to turn some settings up.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

Nah, come on. Take away steam's cut, epic's cut and Conan IP owners cut. Then tax.
Your dev cost estimate is way too high.

I've had my head up my ass dealing with fires (obviously) the last couple weeks. I'll try to check the thread more.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
When will see some optimizing of performance though?
Hard to say without knowing your specific hardware - game should scale fairly acceptably on most gfx cards from minimum spec up. I get 40-60fps on medium on my 680gtx which is 5 years old at this point.
Current focus is on server stability. Then the design team will be rolling out the features and improvements planned. As the tech team starts to put more focus on the Xbox version, the PC version will get a bunch of gfx optimization.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Official servers aren't much better choice since as far as I know they are not actively staffed which means that in a few days every spawn point will be blocked by retards.

hivemind

is this game actually good or is it one of those "fun with friends" type of shite that all of the survival meme games are

Mortmal

Arcane
is this game actually good or is it one of those "fun with friends" type of shite that all of the survival meme games are
Fun running with friends, dongs in the wind , trying to survive in an hostile and unknown land. Its grindy only if you set the server settings for it to be grindy, you can play it at 5X speed . You will build , level and destroy things very fast.
Its similar to ark but a bit more fun and the mature conan settings is very a strong point.
Alone ? hardly any interest except learning the basics .

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
So far you can gather mats, build shit and kill other players or dumbfuck mobs - yes, in current shape it's mostly "fun with friends".

The playfield looks like it will have some serious PvE content, I hope there will be a campaign/solo HC mode.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fun running with friends, dongs in the wind , trying to survive in an hostile and unknown land. Its grindy only if you set the server settings for it to be grindy, you can play it at 5X speed . You will build , level and destroy things very fast.
Yeah but the only way to level consistently is running around killing monsters aka grinding. With high XP and gather you'll just run out of goals faster.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah but the only way to level consistently is running around killing monsters aka grinding. With high XP and gather you'll just run out of goals faster.
The goal is then to smash the guys who arent your friends, an universal and laudable goal. Summon a god , smash their fortress see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women(actually it happened on Teamspeak, really :) ).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom