Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Console Asses

Reapa

Doom Preacher
What's up with 3rd person over the shoulder camera in most console games? why do people feel the need to see their characters" asses all the time? i know gothic made you watch your character's ass all the time too; same goes for the witcher. never been a big fan of both. but i have a strong feeling that while some pc games feature this kind of camera perspective with console it's most of them. anyone care to come up with a theory to explain this?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
how the fuck is this general gaming when it's ovbviously about rpgs? i mean, it's not sidescrollers, it's not strategy, it's not shooters. wtf could it be?
Have you ever tried to play a first person game with a controller? That's why.
that the only reason? was expecting something more like console players are all faggots.

Mustawd

It makes it cinematic. So when they go into cover it's like watching a movie they created! :happytrollboy:

It's sad that I'm not even joking. :negative:

Explorerbc

Arcane
2us7ed0.png

:desu:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
It makes it cinematic. So when they go into cover it's like watching a movie they created! :happytrollboy:

It's sad that I'm not even joking. :negative:
so basically console players just wanna watch tv with something other than their dick in their hand but watch asses most of the time. are these weirdos really not interested at all in anything else then their characters' asses? i mean, the fucking characters are in the way of what is happening in the game. their big asses obstruct the fucking center of the screen!

How many RPGs are first person vs. third person? Have you totaled the numbers?

There's a bunch of ARPGs (like *souls), where anything involving melee and positioning yourself in a specific direction and distance relative to enemies is almost always better off in third person. Most PC games involving this level of action go third person as well (and FPSs like Jedi Knight even switch between first and third person when you go from ranged to melee weapons). But I wouldn't really count those as true RPGs anyway.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
How many RPGs are first person vs. third person? Have you totaled the numbers?

There's a bunch of ARPGs (like *souls), where anything involving melee and positioning yourself in a specific direction and distance relative to enemies is almost always better off in third person. Most PC games involving this level of action go third person as well (and FPSs like Jedi Knight even switch between first and third person when you go from ranged to melee weapons). But I wouldn't really count those as true RPGs anyway.
explain how it's better

Declinator

Arbiter
In action games it has obvious benefits: you can see much more (behind the player's character etc.) so fighting larger mobs is more viable, the player won't be disoriented by strange movement (such as flipping), and it is easier to estimate distances.

In stealth games almost all the benefits disappear and for the most part the same is true for shooters.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
In action games it has obvious benefits: you can see much more (behind the player's character etc.) so fighting larger mobs is more viable, the player won't be disoriented by strange movement (such as flipping), and it is easier to estimate distances.

In stealth games almost all the benefits disappear and for the most part the same is true for shooters.
so what you're saying is they are retards.

Declinator

Arbiter

Do you disagree? There is a reason why first person platformers are rare after all.

It is starting to look like you didn't make this thread to ask why but to start a circle jerk.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Analog sticks just can't keep up.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I really dislike behind-the-ass-camera.
It blocks the front view, it allows you to see things your character can't see (a big deal in stealth games IMO) and it can mean having to constantly fight with adjust the camera controls.
OTOH 3rd person view is supposed to be easier on the stomach for those who are prone to get motion sickness from FPSes.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
To me it's also weird how console racing games seem all to be built around third-person camera, even though a cockpit view would be the only proper way to play those games. I guess a part of it is really because of the awesome button effect — it's so much cooler and more cinematic to watch your character (or car) pull off all sorts of cool stuff on-screen when you can see it from further away.

Another reason is that with PC games you generally have a monitor right in front of your face, whereas consoles of course use a TV screen which can be quite a fair distance away. First-person camera in a PC game not only feels more natural but also allows for a much wider field of view, whereas with first-person console games it's pretty much impossible to avoid tunnel vision. With a third-person camera this is much less of an issue.

Third-person camera is outright cancerous for shooters and stealth games, with a few exceptions (i.e. games where you really need that extra body awareness).

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
this has been a thing for literally about a decade since gears of war came out

not sure if you ever had the xbox 360 in eastern europe though

sullynathan

Arcane
Over the shoulder cam doesn't even show your characters ass only straight up third person does.
Why do consoles have so many third person games? Because third person games play very well with controllers.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Over the shoulder cam doesn't even show your characters ass only straight up third person does.
Why do consoles have so many third person games? Because third person games play very well with controllers.

Depends on the game. Gears of War is a shoulders only game, but the new Tomb Raider is basically ass country.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So people are bitching about 3rd person games as well. What's next? Bitching about isometric perspective? Fucking Codex man...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom