Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Critical question, VD

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
stfu you are spoiling the game for me

:cry:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
What's that last picture of? It looks to me like some sort of Aztec temple.
Not Aztec. It's a Sumerian ziggurat.

ur-temple30.jpg

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Who is your concept artist VD, he is very good. Love that picture of the dig site.

I know lost temples and suchlike are huge cliches in RPGs, but I still love the thrill of exploring them, especially if there is a fair bit of lore surrounding the site. The "Indiana Jones exploration" aspects in RPGs still appeal to me even after so many "dungeons" :D.

Helton

Arcane
So the question is, then: what did the Knights Templar find in Solomon's Temple?

Gold? Eternal Youth?

Big sack of nothing?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Naked Ninja said:
Who is your concept artist VD, he is very good. Love that picture of the dig site.
Grant Hillier. He's a professional artist. He was turned down by Bioware and was quickly snatched by a German game studio.
http://artjunkiefix.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... t-art.html

Here is his site, there are more AoD pieces there.

I know lost temples and suchlike are huge cliches in RPGs, but I still love the thrill of exploring them...
So do I.

Anyway, here is an old interview, but it comes with quite a few main quest dialogue screens where the temple is mentioned. In case someone missed it.

Edit: http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=19882

Paranoid Jack

Scholar

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The dirt patches in front of the castle look a bit out of place. Just why isn't there anything growing there?

I think the castle itself looks good, except that as others have said some of the walls should be a bit thicker. Also, if the castle is still being used as a planned defensive position (not just as a barracks, headquarters, whatever) then I expect the occupants would have cleared away the trees in front of it so that any attackers get nothing to hide behind as they approach.

One possible post-apocalyptic feature would be to have one tower be ruined and partially rebuilt in wood.

Acleacius

Novice
Vault Dweller
"Anyway, tell me how to improve this picture. We've been tweaking it for awhile, but I'm still not pleased. "

Regestered to say, this looks great. :)
Due to the time of day or season the pic was taken I get the feeling of grey and gloomy.

Now if I wasn't going for that feeling and wanted to change it I would add small patches of snow around the trees, small build ups on the base of castle walls.

Secondly having a small stream running east to west through the actual middle of the castle, sort of a small canal, with iron grates on each side to prevent unwelcomed visitors.
I thought about a moat but not sure if that's possible with the limited view of the pic provided, plus that could be exessive depending on what feel your trying to accomplish.

Addtionally if even more color was wanted besides the water and snow give the trees a more seasonal look or add other colorful items, maybe small wooden catpults on each tower.

Good luck. :)

Pladio

Educated
I've been following AoD for a while now, but I haven't posted yet.

Just on the castle's picture. Usually medieval castles didn't have windows on their outer walls, but some kind of holes where archers could shoot from, some kind of rectangular openings...
I think windows don't fit in so much on the picture...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom