Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I was a fan of his from the beginning. I will be rereading the entire blog from the beginning starting tonight. It's been an amazing ride, and I hope it will start up again someday.

Flanged

Scholar
Really enjoy the guy's writing, and seeing the real old RPGs that I never played at the time and never will now, but have to admit I am glad I didn't play most of them back then. They (mostly) give a powerful impression of being gash. Some of the writing in those games is worse (worse!) than in Fallout3. I have never been an old-skool hardcore bro of the type the Codex favours, and CRPAddict has given me much cause to be glad of this.

As shitey and illogical as most of the games seem, though, I still get a powerful nostalgic longing for them from his blog, and have started playing Albion, which is about as far back in time as I'm prepared to go. It's good.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
The addict should have compiled a list of all time greats from the 80's,90's, and early 00's and played them in chronological order.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Nah, Quetzacoatl, a lot of people have played those all-time greats and made extensive playthroughs on YouTube. What he did was show a lot of games many of us weren't aware of. For the people who did play some of those games back in the day he gave a fresh perspective on the games. Some of those games sound pretty cool (like OMEGA), but many of his posts were just awesome commedy (read this post on Tera as I especially like his jibe at Ultima 2: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/10/tera-lost-in-translation.html).

Tigranes

Arcane
I liked the blog, but found everything he did besides the main stuff (the 're-enactments', his attempt to make general overviews, his going on and on about Skyrim, etc) really boring. He's not an interesting guy to read for game opinions, etc - hopefully he'll get back to playing through the old games if he can.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's baaaaaaaaaack! Sort of.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2012/02/inscrutable-exhortations-of-my-soul.html

I want to be clear, though: this is not the passion I would have chosen for myself. If I could design my own life, and identify the calling of my blood--the thing that, while hiking in some random part of the world, would suddenly fill my heart and mind with a palpable compulsion--it would not be computer role-playing games. Sure, I enjoy them--immensely--but I don't enjoy enjoying them. If that makes any sense. If you don't mind that paradox, I'm glad to have you as a reader.

:?

MMXI

Arcane
I hope he doesn't drop Star Command. That game is pretty good. He seemed to actually enjoy it before he suddenly dropped it for some reason.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I hope he doesn't drop Star Command. That game is pretty good. He seemed to actually enjoy it before he suddenly dropped it for some reason.

I was enjoying it myself last year, but then the game bugged out on my after having cleared the insect base. Hopefully Mr. Addict will complete it.

Tripicus

Augur
Sounds like a midlife crisis. He feels guilty for an activity he enjoys, and that he can spend the time on activities he views as more creative and productive. Seems like he'll stress himself over it again.

crpgaddict

Educated
Not really a "midlife crisis" since I've always felt this way, since I first started playing games while I was in school and not spending enough time on my homework.

The bottom line is that canceling my blog was stupid. I should have just not posted for a while. I'd done that plenty of times before, and everyone hung in there while I concentrated on other priorities. That'll happen again, but when it does, I won't be stupid and announce the end of my blog; I'll just take the time off that I need.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Well crpgaddict, you can't choose your mistress, she chooses you. There are far worse things than having the "bad habit" of enjoying cRPGs (and more time and/or money consuming, too).
You should feel lucky because your habit happens to give enjoyment to the many people that follow your blog and that in turn should hopefully give you some level of satisfaction as well. See it as nice bonus, the icing on the cake so to speak :)

circ

Arcane
He loves Inception (wow really?) and thinks Skyrim is shit, no wait, awesome, no wait shit, awesome, shit, awesome, even though there are alot of shit parts. Yeah thanks but no thanks mam.

Nice Battletech review though. I had no idea it was such a tiny crap game, as it had been decades since I played it on an Apple II. Oh well nostalgia.

MMXI

Arcane
I remember liking that game as a kid. Having said that, I don't think I ever completed it or even bothered with the story. I think I just wandered around killing mechs and having some sort of fun. That's the only part of the game with any depth anyway, as the story seems completely retarded and the ending sequence seems completely fucking lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom