Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRYENGINE V announced

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...es-cryengine-5-adopts-pay-what-you-want-model

Crytek has announced CryEngine 5, a new version of the powerful graphics tool which focuses on the strenuous demands of VR production. The new tools will be released under a "pay what you want" system, with no set price for the service. Instead, Crytek is asking developers to contribute what they can from professional projects. In addition, a percentage of that money can be allocated to the company's developer fund, which is launching with $1 million of company money.

The switch marks a fresh period for the engine, which switched to a subscription model in 2014. As recently as last year, the firm was saying it "saw no reason" to switch to a free model to compete with Unreal and Unity. However, competition from both of those services proved tough and Crytek was looking vulnerable until a deal with Amazon, to licence a version of CryEngine to build the Lumberyard platform, brought in around $70 million in April last year.

The new engine and pricing model were announced by creative director Frank Vitz at a dedicated briefing at GDC today, Crytek's first ever event at the show. Stressing the high-capabilities of CryEngine, VR development was a major focus of the presentation, showcasing The Climb and the company's VR First studios and support program. A new benchmarking tool for VR, VR Score was also premiered at the briefing, including a pre-rendered demo codenamed Skyharbour.

In addition to the fifth iteration of the tool, the company also launched an asset store for pre-made CryEngine assets, with purchases available from the marketplace today.

More focus on VR.

And then there's this:
https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Crytek has yet to make a good game after Far Cry. How they're still afloat is beyond me, i don't know many big devs that use CRYEngine, even though it looks really nice, and all their games aren't necessarily best sellers but rather get pirated a lot.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah. How is that selling engines business going, these days ? ID Software is dead in the water, pretty sure Unreal engine keeps afloat but it's still far from the success it uses to have. Unity runs all these days, with a bit of fucking Game Maker on the side.

Which is good, in a way. Since I'm a responsible adult, I need to spend less money on upgrading my bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom