Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

Perkel

Arcane
They have the source code

It doesn't really matter if they have it or not if they don't develop or hire people for engine development. Reason why they use Cryengine in first place is that many people have dabbled with it and core of engine is maintained by technical wizards in company that spends most of their time trying to develop new ways to improve their rendering engine and so on all the time.

Obviously if their game sells they would be able to maybe make their own engine but for now they will need to think about moving to something else.

JRIz

Augur
I think RSI doesn't even care at this point. In one of interviews they said that they completely split from updates to their engine and at some point they started to change so much that it shouldn't be considered Cryengine anymore. I don't think they even use that name internally, they have their own naming of sorts tho i don't remember what name it is.
But are they allowed to distribute it if ownership, and maybe the license, changes?

Perkel

Arcane
I think RSI doesn't even care at this point. In one of interviews they said that they completely split from updates to their engine and at some point they started to change so much that it shouldn't be considered Cryengine anymore. I don't think they even use that name internally, they have their own naming of sorts tho i don't remember what name it is.
But are they allowed to distribute it if ownership, and maybe the license, changes?

Don't know. But i think they also mentioned in one of interviews that they worked WITH crytek on core engine for a while so i guess they are not standard company that just bought stuff.

I mean they have like trilion dollars at this point and hired a lot of Crytek people to work on their (now) engine. I do think it is pretty obvious to assume that this is Quake2-Half-Life situation where HL used Q2 engine which later on became Source.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Crytek deserve to go bankrupt for being a game dev yet only ever making bad games. Although I could say the same of Bethesda, EA, etc.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bethesda should buy Cryengine in order to stop inflicting suffering on the world with their shitty in house engines.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bethesda should do lots of things to improve their crappy games, but they don't need to because 24 million people buy their crappy game anyway.

Gerrard

Arcane
Bethesda should buy Cryengine in order to stop inflicting suffering on the world with their shitty in house engines.
Considering that it already is full of spaghetti imagine what the results of Bethesdian modifications could look like.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://crytek.com/news/crytek-outlines-future-plans-and-focuses-on-return-to-core-competencies

Crytek Outlines Future Plans and Focuses on Return to Core Competencies

Frankfurt am Main (Germany) December 20, 2016 – Crytek today outlined a series of changes to its future business plans that will see the company refocus on its core strengths of developing innovative games and game-development technology.

As part of the changes, Crytek will concentrate on development in its Frankfurt and Kiev studios and continue to develop and work on premium IPs. CRYENGINE will remain a core pillar of Crytek’s overall strategy, with enterprise licensees and indie developers alike continuing to be served by regular engine updates. All other development studios will not remain within Crytek and management has put plans into action to secure jobs and to ensure a smooth transition and stable future.

Crytek Co-Founder and Managing Director, Avni Yerli, said: “Undergoing such transitions is far from easy, and we’d like to sincerely thank each and every staff member – past and present – for their hard work and commitment to Crytek. These changes are part of the essential steps we are taking to ensure Crytek is a healthy and sustainable business moving forward that can continue to attract and nurture our industry’s top talent. The reasons for this have been communicated internally along the way. Our focus now lies entirely on the core strengths that have always defined Crytek – world-class developers, state-of-the-art technology and innovative game development, and we believe that going through this challenging process will make us a more agile, viable, and attractive studio, primed for future success.”

So here's the list of studios to be shut down:
  • Crytek Black Sea in Sofia, Bulgaria, founded in 2001 as Black Sea Studios, acquired and renamed by Crytek in 2008.
  • Crytek Budapest in Budapest, Hungary, founded in 2007.
  • Crytek Istanbul in Istanbul, Turkey, founded in 2012.
  • Crytek Seoul in Seoul, South Korea, founded in 2010.
  • Crytek Shanghai in Shanghai, China, founded in 2012.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Core competencies" = core gamers? If so, congratulations on finally doing what everybody was telling you to do years ago

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Ryse 2 as a launch title for the new faster Xbox refresh with better gameplay. The IP was in meh / good for what it is as there are no alternatives territory after the launch, but the PC release seems to be well liked (9/10 on steam).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Because tech demos are what core gamers want.

Core gamers who spend $700 on a graphics card surely like a title to show it off. The game has 700k owners and 10k reviews on Steam. Seems ok for a quick HD cash in carefully remastered-for-PC experience.

(I don't say that it's a good game, but for them it was kind of a return to their roots: Try to make it look as good as possible on the PC with 4k and whatever was considered to be l337 when they released it on PC.)

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Crytek Outlines Future Plans and Focuses on Return to Core Competencies

Crysis 4, Crysis 5, Crysis 6...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
They've just kinda gone downhill since far cry 1... Should have focused on fixing that game's flaws and improving upon it in general.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The thing that annoys me is that Crysis's engine has all the tech it needed to make Crysis into an amazing game. But they made a dumb shooter instead. I remember putting in some cheat code that unlocks a flying gunship thing, and I could fly around blowing shit up. It was more fun than the game itself, and none of the missions let you fly that same gunship... makes no sense. Also instead of just 10 disposable levels linked together by cutscenes, they could have made it like a semi open world game like STALKER, so you start in an area and have to go out doing excursions to assassinate people and set explosives at enemy bases etc, and then keep returning to a main base to receive new missions and upgrade gear. There is re-using content so much that it becomes a grindy time sink, and then the other end of the extreme there is making a whole area with great locations and geography etc, and then you blast through it in 30 minutes and never see it again. That's what Crysis did, and it should have done something in between the two extremes. Like Stalker.

Also the multiplayer looked shit too. They use 1990s dumb deathmatch/ctf style FPS multiplayer in a world that had moved on to bigger scale stuff like Planetside and Arma 2 / 3.

Basically, they could have made Crysis into a huge long term hit but instead they made it just another shooter that nobody really cared about because they already had Battlefield and Calladoody that did the same thing earlier and better.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The thing that annoys me is that Crysis's engine has all the tech it needed to make Crysis into an amazing game. But they made a dumb shooter instead. I remember putting in some cheat code that unlocks a flying gunship thing, and I could fly around blowing shit up. It was more fun than the game itself, and none of the missions let you fly that same gunship... makes no sense. Also instead of just 10 disposable levels linked together by cutscenes, they could have made it like a semi open world game like STALKER, so you start in an area and have to go out doing excursions to assassinate people and set explosives at enemy bases etc, and then keep returning to a main base to receive new missions and upgrade gear. There is re-using content so much that it becomes a grindy time sink, and then the other end of the extreme there is making a whole area with great locations and geography etc, and then you blast through it in 30 minutes and never see it again. That's what Crysis did, and it should have done something in between the two extremes. Like Stalker.

Also the multiplayer looked shit too. They use 1990s dumb deathmatch/ctf style FPS multiplayer in a world that had moved on to bigger scale stuff like Planetside and Arma 2 / 3.

Basically, they could have made Crysis into a huge long term hit but instead they made it just another shooter that nobody really cared about because they already had Battlefield and Calladoody that did the same thing earlier and better.

Yeah, the open world part of far cry 1 and the crysis games was laughably underutilized. Just giving you a big island or several with all the bases etc fully modeled and letting you infiltrate/attack however you like would have been better... I have some fond memories from crysis hiding in a river and floating along the bottom to get past patrols. The regular game was just so banal though. And fuck those bullet-sponge aliens.

I like the old way rainbow six 1 and raven spear did it. Fully model the objective, and let you plan and do whatever. Just basically scale that approach up to a whole game with some story thrown in maybe.
The modern approach is just too boring and restrictive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom