Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Daedalic's The Pillars of the Earth

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Daedalic Entertainment presents the first video material for "The Pillars of the Earth", the game adaption of Ken Follett's bestseller. The video shows first scenes of the game's characters and gives some insight to its development process. The focus will be on the presentation of the involved artists and writers, as well as the fate of the games protagonist, Aliena. One of the original's key moments will be brought to life through interactive literature.

About The Pillars of the Earth:

"The Pillars of the Earth" is a story revolving around the fictional town of Kingsbridge and its rise, switching between the narrative perspective of a young noble called Aliena, Jack the ambitious architect and Philip, a monk.

England, 12th century: Philip the monk becomes Prior of the small abbey of Kingsbridge. At the same time, a boy called Jack is raised by his outlawed mother in the woods. His apprenticeship as a stonemason paves his way to become a great architect. Soon, his steps lead him to Kingsbridge where he will build one of the greatest cathedrals England has ever seen. Aliena and Richard have to survive on their own, after the sibling's father, the Earl of Shiring, has been incarcerated and murdered. Aliena vows to make her brother the rightful heir and Earl of Shiring. Like Jack, their way leads them to Kingsbridge. Aliena puts her expertise as a tradeswoman to good use, supporting the cathedral's construction and falls in love with Jack. But Kingsbridge and its people are in grave danger. Philip's rivals, Bishop Waleran and Wiliam, a vengeful noble rejected by Aliena, see the town and its rise to importance as a thorn in their flesh. They want to see Kingsbridge burn.

The game-adaption of the world-bestseller "The Pillars of the Earth" is the first co-operative project of Daedalic Entertainment and Bastei Lübbe. This game will be more than just complementary media to the book and will instead retell the story in a new, interactive way. A team of about 20 people works to create a multi-platform adaption of this bestseller. The writers are also in contact and co-operation with the Follett Office and Ken Follett himself. Daedalic is the only studio at the time adapting such an epic reading-experience into an interactive format.

The game itself will be released in 2017, at the same time the third novel of the Kingsbridge-Series will be published. The game will be internationally available for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One and mobile devices.​

Well... that both sounds and looks terrible.

Who the fuck asked for this?

Edit: Follett is a literal first-rate hack; he's the sort of author who somehow manages to convince his audience that he's genuinely writing historical fiction, when in fact he's a stone's throw from Diana Gabaldon. He makes Hilary Mantel look like fucking Shakespeare.

To paraphrase Churchill: Yes my dears, I am drunk, but in the morning I will be sober, and this will still be complete shit.

And I guarantee you it will be even less of an Adventure game than The Walking Dead.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why is everyone assuming this will be shit? Because of the "interactive fiction" bit in the trailer?

I only skimmed through the video but the gameplay looks like standard point-and-click, with an inventory and all. The art style looks alright, too.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
They're saying it's shit because the author of the book is shit.

I'd still play and support it just for the setting and concept though.

Why is everyone assuming this will be shit? Because of the "interactive fiction" bit in the trailer?

I only skimmed through the video but the gameplay looks like standard point-and-click, with an inventory and all. The art style looks alright, too.
I watched the trailer and you're right: it does look like a proper pnc, so I rescind my drunken guarantee.

That said, my gut still tells me that this is a very cynical cash-grab to milk the grimdark GoT market.

The source material is under-edited garbage; I read a fair amount of shitty pulp, and Follett is to historical fiction as Terry Brooks is to fantasy.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tablets? :argh:

On a more serious note that was some dodgy as hell voice acting right there. Hopefully it'll be improved because I am partial to Daedalic's adventure games. Now if only they could get Ian McShane aboard to reprise his role of Waleran Bigod. Provided they're even going to acknowledge the mini-series exists in the first place.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Because people here are idiots.

And the book its based upon is shit? Yep, people are idiots.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Hey, I read that book, like, 8 years ago.
It was boring (not bad, but boring). I could have read Hammond's History of Greece for the second time back then. But my sister forced me otherwise.

Can be good as a game, but that depends.

:Flash:

Arcane
That trailer makes it pretty clear where the Daedalic decline is coming from: Bastei Lübbe.
For those who don't know, Bastei Lübbe is Germany's largest publishing houses in Germany, and grew out of a pulp novel publisher (still a large part of their business).

Bastei Lübbe went public a few years ago and from the money they got from there they bought Daedalic. So Daedalic is now supposed to produce the equivalent of this for PCs:

groschenromane-bastei-luebbe.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom