Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

baturinsky

Arcane
So, is Sorcerer crap?

No it's not - quite the opposite. A bit rough going at the start but later in the game you dominate. Well worth the time to develop. I'm playing New Game+ with the DLC and putting a serious hurt in PVE with my Sorcerer.

Which spells(s) do you use?

Perkel

Arcane
I disagree completely on Vigor.

First of all monsters and players do MORE damage than in any DS game before.
Secondly despite how bar look you start with only about base 400 health (vigor 10) which is THE LEAST amount of health in any DS game.

By the time you reach 1000-1200hp you will be essentially at DS1-2 level of hp but unlike those games you will be held back by shitload of stat point given into vigor alone and not much else AND monsters will generally do waaaay more damage than in previous games.

Finally armor does work. I finished recently complete playtrough with my two handed hammer guy and heavy armor + Vitality (about 50) and difference between no armor and proper damage reduction is huge especially since i needed to tank hits while i was going through with my hammer attacks.
Biggest difference compared to previous games is that Vitality actually is important as non vitality build and vitality build difference in damage reduction is about 50+ (not counting armor dr) for each hit and you get about 30-40% for overall damage reduction with proper armor which is important in boss fights (due to huge strikes) AND you get huge bonus to poise health which can go to even 40-50% poise damage reduction (meaning you can tank almost any strike bar heaviest ones from bosses).

edit:

Yes investing in Vigor is clear choice but even if you invest 30 points into vigor you still will be at lower overall survival rate than in DS1 or DS2.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I disagree completely on Vigor.

First of all monsters and players do MORE damage than in any DS game before.
Secondly despite how bar look you start with only about base 400 health (vigor 10) which is THE LEAST amount of health in any DS game.

By the time you reach 1000-1200hp you will be essentially at DS1-2 level of hp but unlike those games you will be held back by shitload of stat point given into vigor alone and not much else AND monsters will generally do waaaay more damage than in previous games.

edit:

Yes investing in Vigor is clear choice but even if you invest 30 points into vigor you still will be at lower overall survival rate than in DS1 or DS2.

Still when you only get +2-8 damage for each level in str/dex/faith/int and +20-30 health for each level in vigor you'd be dumb not to just dump points into vigor because you literally get 3-10x the return. In pretty much every case the optimal choice is to level str/dex/faith/int to the stat requirements for the weapon you want then dump all other points into vigor and maybe vit for armor.

You really don't have a choice if you want to be competitive in PvP; you need to dump a lot of points into vigor. Otherwise everything just 1-shots you while you maybe do 10% more damage than someone with 5x your health bar.

It's really annoying because there's like 40 soul levels where you don't have any choice for stat allocation because they need to go to vigor.

Also Estus flasks make vigor even more OP because they'll heal you to full whether you have 400 hp or 1800 hp.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
baturinsky Nope, you're not missing anything. Spam 'n' slam baby. Spam 'n' slam. What do you mean about parrying being wonky? Parrying is the best thing about Ds3 imo.

Yeah one thing that frustrates me is that Vigor is WAAAAY more useful than any other stat point for point...

I disagree completely on Vigor... Yes investing in Vigor is clear choice...

I find this 'disagreeing with people you agree with' approach very interesting.

Also Estus flasks make vigor even more OP because they'll heal you to full whether you have 400 hp or 1800 hp.

No.

baturinsky

Arcane
That's not how it works. Flask heals fixed amount , depending on it's upgrade level. Which exactly is why very high HP in PvE is not necessary - you only need "not being OHKO'd + 1flask" maxhp(taking combos and such into consideration).

Unless you mean that you need to drink even if only moderately damaged.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd say vigor is necessary up until it starts waning below 30hp per level or so. After that you're probably better off investing in damage and utility spells. Since damage is stupidly high in pvp and people tend to die in like 3-4 hits, the miracle that gives you a second chance at 1hp is a fucking godsend, all the more so if you have a lot of damage so you can trade hits effectively. Souls pvp has always been fairly retarded though, since you spend way more time looking for a fair match than actually fighting in one, and even then theres a high chance the fight will be decided by some glitchy bullshit exploit instead of anything resembling the intended fight mechanics.

baturinsky

Arcane
Fashion Souls time
Qz1KKL5.jpg

I like it a lot. Perfect combination of power, elegance and ass.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Am I missing something, or there is not much variation in build/game style, if you want effective character? Sorcery is crap. Pyromancy is crap as primary damage dealer, but ok as a backup. Armor is irrelevant. Shields are ok as a crutch, but vastly inferior to rolling.

So, resulting power build (for noob PvE) looks like this.

Weapon - Dark Sword. Wide swings, maximum damage per time and stamina, shield breaking art. I see no alternatives.
Shield - Shield of Want, or Black Shield. Maybe Havel shield if you agree to spam Magic Shield. Som buckler if you can Parry, but Parry is too wonky.
Armor - whatever looks good.

Stats:
Vigor - 24+
Attunement - 18, then 24
Str/Dex - one at 40 (preferrably strength), other at whatever your gear requirement is.
Int/Faith - 20/20 for unlocking nearly all of good sorceries/pyromancies/miracles
Endurance - ~30
7VuzUiE.jpg

WsjR0D9.jpg

And this is how I finished DS3.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Pls stick to ass pictures. Or stick them in spoilers. But mostly stick to ass.

Have any of you mages tried using the dork hand? If you don't mind the range it's a powerful early weapon which scales in all stats. Could be a really good option imo. Zero stat requirements, zero weight. 8/9 attacks at base 10 END.

more like they need to let bosses parry you like the hobo samurai in the beginning of Souls 3.

I'm up for that. DS2 tried but chickened out. Lost Sinner and Alonne could parry but never saw it myself.

Fashion Souls time
Qz1KKL5.jpg

I like it a lot. Perfect combination of power, elegance and ass.
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation :salute:

but seriously dump that dark sword and she is my perfect waifu/10

baturinsky

Arcane
This game has a serious lack of the elegant torso armors, so I doubt I can improve on that.
If you want to have the same for yourself, it's just a default female body with Dancer torso and gloves, Old Sorcerer Hat and Black Leather Boots.

On another topic, is Estoc (or other rapiers) good for PvE? Estoc has interesting moveset, but it's hit area is extremely slow. First strike does not even hit small enemies, such as gremlins (Hollow Slaves) or slimes.

sullynathan

Arcane
This game has a serious lack of the elegant torso armors, so I doubt I can improve on that.
If you want to have the same for yourself, it's just a default female body with Dancer torso and gloves, Old Sorcerer Hat and Black Leather Boots.

On another topic, is Estoc (or other rapiers) good for PvE? Estoc has interesting moveset, but it's hit area is extremely slow. First strike does not even hit small enemies, such as gremlins (Hollow Slaves) or slimes.
Back in the day, Estoc was the top spam weapon in pvp. I don't know how effective it is now after all the patches. keep it as a backup

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The heavy attack for thrusting swords (rapiers, estoc, etc.) is generally the way to go for little shits that are difficult to hit. Even nails the tiny crystal lizard fucks. Never used the estoc myself, but my first run through I used the irythyl rapier for the entire second half of the game, it wrecked shit, was basically the best damage to stamina ratio I could find without weapon buffs.

Perkel

Arcane
Speaking of Fashion Souls. It is annoying that despite superior environmental graphics DS3 character faces are beyond ugly and most of the time their skin shader doesn't properly work often giving shitty lighting.

I mean this is one of my chars in DS2. In DS3 due to how light reacts it isn't possible to make good looking character (and i don't mean beautiful, just interesting looking). In character creator skin shader seems to work but in actual game face gets downgraded.

tNRa8rR.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Speaking of Fashion Souls. It is annoying that despite superior environmental graphics DS3 character faces are beyond ugly and most of the time their skin shader doesn't properly work often giving shitty lighting.

I mean this is one of my chars in DS2. In DS3 due to how light reacts it isn't possible to make good looking character (and i don't mean beautiful, just interesting looking). In character creator skin shader seems to work but in actual game face gets downgraded.

tNRa8rR.jpg

It IS possible however, to make the ugliest motherfuckers in all of Souls history in DKS3.

Also not happy that hair color doesn't get as bright in DKS3 :(

baturinsky

Arcane
I have figured why I suck so much (instead of just sucking) at this game. I play on keyboard, and there is a significant time between me starting pressing the button and it actually being clicked. So, I have started to press Space (run/roll button) a little bit earlier, and have noticed a noticeable improvement.

I really liked Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, played DS2 through to the end (though I didn't like it as much as other games), played halfway through SotFS and got bored with it, got bored with Bloodborne even though the setting should be right up my alley and I really can't get into DS3 at all. Played on release and never got past the first level. Tried playing it again last week and got bored within 30 minutes. I think the formula for these games has worn completely thin and I can't be bothered to play them anymore.

I think From is a great developer, but they need to do something new (or revisit some of their older shit). New King's Field please.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I went back to Dark Souls 1 and enjoyed it again immensely (and multiplayer is still active!). Thinking of checking out the state of DS3 now. Is poise finally turned on?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I play keyboard only, and there was no delay on my version. Are you using USB3 port?
Or perhaps you could use faster keyboard polling I have 1 ms by default.

baturinsky

Arcane
I play keyboard only, and there was no delay on my version. Are you using USB3 port?
Or perhaps you could use faster keyboard polling I have 1 ms by default.
No, I don't mean delay between click and game registering it, I mean mechanical delay between when I start pushing it down and when it clicks.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really liked Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, played DS2 through to the end (though I didn't like it as much as other games), played halfway through SotFS and got bored with it, got bored with Bloodborne even though the setting should be right up my alley and I really can't get into DS3 at all. Played on release and never got past the first level. Tried playing it again last week and got bored within 30 minutes. I think the formula for these games has worn completely thin and I can't be bothered to play them anymore.

I think From is a great developer, but they need to do something new (or revisit some of their older shit). New King's Field please.

You got bored with DS3 because it's shit. Also no idea what's King's Field like but From only became famous when Miyazaki took over and KF is like 10 years before him iirc.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm trying to complete the game without rolling, only tanking with the shield. Currently I already killed every boss and enemy without rolling, except Champion Gundyr, Nameless king and Friede. I have killed Gundyr, but I ve got forced to roll in wakeup because this motherfucked always connects his attacks with the animation of waking up, when the character can't rise the shield yet:negative:. Nameless king is hard has fuck due his attacks, they cause cheap damage even using a lighting resistant shield and burns your stamina quickly. Only tried Friede a couple of times, but I think its a viable boss because I reached the third phase and hurt her almost half of bar easily. Fun fact is I'm not trying to use the poise, Im just using a longsword and it works well. Let's see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom