Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Stretch goal was gay as shit and they probably would have made more money if they removed it or had it as a way earlier tier.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Color customization doesn't seem like something that should have been a stretch goal. How hard could that be to program?
I think it's a fucking shame Color Customization sat at $300k while the stretch goal for cinematics of the same style/narrator as their preview vids (and later included steam workshop) was at $350k.

I think it was mostly to space the tiers out evenly. I think if cutscenes/workshop had been before colour customization, the goals would be at $345k and $350k instead.

Backed for 20 kwabux since early builds of roguelikes tend to be 'k without being spoilerriffic. (I swear, every day is a fight against temptation to boot up Divinity: Original Sin).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not my point at all. But you seem more interested in arguing semantics.
I'm not going to lie; I like arguing semantics. But pointing out your semantic failures doesn't mean that I'm uninterested in the meat of what you're saying. You seem to think that x amount of additional funds raised by any Kickstarter automatically implies that that money has to all be spent on new developmental features of the product. A stretch goal for an extra 100 grand must cost the developers 100 grand to make good on, or else it is shady in some way, because of some unwritten rule that some mythical majority subscribes to. That is simply not the case. Your expectations of an acceptable stretch goal and the actual requirements for a stretch goal are not the same thing. For that matter, there's nothing that says that stretch goals have to exist at all. They're bonus features to increase interest. That's it.

A project is not obligated to increase its scope in parallel to every increase in resources.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Or you can do it oldschool and wait until after it's finished and released, and you've read a couple of reviews from trusted sources and maybe played a demo or watched a video demonstrating the finished product, before making a final decision as to whether to acquire the product.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you live in a third-world potato shithole where 15 kwa bucks is a huge investment

Lhynn

Arcane
If you live in a third-world potato shithole where 15 kwa bucks is a huge investment

In this day and age 15 kwa bucks aren't much of an investment even in Potato.
In some places its more than what a 4 hour job pays per week. Where i live u$d 360~ is the minimum monthly wage for an 8 hour job. And we have a 55% tax on everything we buy from the outside.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PC Gamer interview at PAX East. No real new info here, but it's neat to see the guy's enthusiasm and get a refresher on the goals for the game. You can also see demo material running on the screen behind them, but again, nothing intelligible unless you want to really dissect it.

Also a Kotaku interview featuring a much closer look at some gameplay.

Last edited:

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Not surprised. This project spent more on marketing and trade shows than they did on developing the game. You've been had.

I especially love how all their KS videos went on gametrailers first.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not surprised. This project spent more on marketing and trade shows than they did on developing the game. You've been had.

I especially love how all their KS videos went on gametrailers first.
Not surprised at what? That the game funded a month ago isn't complete yet or that the combat video looks simplistic right now?

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that they spent more on marketing and trade shows than developing the game.

Zombra

Patron
I think he's not surprised that all the mechanics work exactly as they were described and shown in all the promos and preview material. It's like he's psychic!

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Not surprised at what? That the game funded a month ago isn't complete yet or that the combat video looks simplistic right now?

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that they spent more on marketing and trade shows than developing the game.

Marketing is all they've been doing since November of last year. I've been following the project since then. The second KS wapped they ran off to GDC and then PAX. Coincidence? The money raised was not for developing the game. It's just a marketing budget.

Zombra, so you stopped flaming people over Wasteland 2 and now are white knighting this project?

Zombra

Patron
I just think it's hilarious to see your triumphant smugness over their developing exactly what they advertised and backers getting exactly what we wanted. Oh no! Value received for payment given! How could we have been so blind! :lol:

Renegen

Arcane
If I made a habit out of ignoring people, I would be ignoring Zombra. So many words and so little said.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Important update has been released.It's time for all the backers to inform them 'bout your shipping adress via their "backer kit survey" for the physical rewards you pledged
Check out your mails and start their survey.You can additionnally buy others darkest goodies :salute:

wesleyclark

Augur
Small update.

Project Update #21: Mini Update, MEGA Twitch!
Posted by Tyler Sigman ♥ Like
Mini Update
The last month has seen a ton of systems get implemented!

We've added a host of functionality that really fleshes out the positional backbone of combat, and the framework of Town is up and running. Oh yeah, and art for 4 new playable classes has made it's way into the build - keep your eyes peeled for the Occultist, Bounty Hunter, Hellion, and Grave Robber!

6f16dbd951717c300a41a7d151fe40e2_large.jpg

Sketches!
MegaTwitch!
We're doing a joint Twitch stream early next week with the fabulous Starcrawlers team!

Come watch Chris draw the Starcrawlers Smuggler in the DD style, then marvel as Asa from Juggernaut renders a Darkest Dungeon character in the style of StarCrawlers! Members of both teams will be on the call, discussing our games, fielding questions, and cracking hilarious jokes*. C'mon by and hang out!

Here's the skinny:

When: Tuesday, May 20th 4:00 PST

Where: IndieMegaBooth Twitch Channel

*please note, hilarity not guaranteed

See you Tuesday!

wesleyclark

Augur
Update. First view of a boss. Info on town progress and a sketch of it.

Project Update #22: It's June!
6adfda9db1c0c475165f4f1286ce3bc6_large.png

June Update: The Flesh is Willing
Welcome to the June update! Work continues to move along - we've made big strides in the town gameplay, as well as many of the much-needed core systems: upgrades, economy and progression. Art-wise we've been adding the next 4 heroes: the Bounty Hunter (featured in a gamespot article below!), the Grave Robber, the Occultist, and the Hellion, as well as new monsters and...

Boss Reveal!

Check out the first glimpse of a Darkest Dungeon boss: a powerful summoner that twists flesh and reinforces his ranks with the reanimated dead! More details to come!

70fc99d5bec02d57b0c887b2c0faf508_large.jpg

Welcome...
Town

Keir has been dedicated to town functionality for some time, and has gotten the core workings of our buildings up and running. The tavern, abbey, blacksmith, guild hall, etc are all doing what they're supposed to, and we've started making the UI more user-friendly.

81c1ffd6d779b32a52b5c28fcdde18f7_large.jpg

Town View Sketch
Weekly Twitch

We're officially 'regulars' on the IndieMEGABOOTH Twitch Channel! You can join us every Thursday at 4pm PST for look behind the scenes. Art, design discussions, play sessions, animation - each week we'll try and do something different, but if we can't, it'll be Chris drawing his way through the mountain of monsters we need!

Sweet Gamespot Article!

Getting the nod from Gamespot was huge for us - and the article is great!

Kickstarter Shout-out!

Go back Witchmarsh! 1920's detectives + occult + gorgeous!

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

As always, please feel free to email us or post your comments, we do our very best to get back to everyone!

Cheers,

the Darkest Dungeon Team

Chris, Tyler, Kelvin, Keir & Brooks

Old Hans

Arcane
This game looks so good! It reminds me of first edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

PS. I would love to see that automap from the videos have a more hand drawn look

Last edited:

wesleyclark

Augur
Small update. Some information on implementation of one of the stretch goals.

Project Update #23: July 5th Update: Brigands, Fansite Forums, Weekly LiveStream
rfY2dtafcXSIxtwTGuwLilak2BEqEMslIXVS-VTqH9J4qqa-hA_kCsdPHx5aTKzKkxqlnX9i7syTihfWuX_EkfXUNBthOiIZUyA26SEb-QpFu_lAJ7SvsNxi99xQyCu6UPmnO2EEm4srp4pvsWDmtlcQvQtR7FGiFPNq=s0-d-e1-ft

It's been another productive month around the Darkest Dungeon!

Brigands - $100k Stretch Goal
Remember back in February when, with your help, we crushed that $100k stretch goal in the first two days of the campaign? Well, here you go:

UfkX6FfCT8NILV2J8RYQBhr7pqzP8VKV3jPU8WWo2Zges9BvqZ1tR6pLHYiH2tOrnKpAlmwmviJYUNkgatAvLvpUsMO40fOF4UAThWiZCSbfIb5Ok6jmi2Y5sAs9Acu1PUMt3jmu0Elsmpqe26F4n3aITxZ_hYUZqh4F=s0-d-e1-ft

The Brigands can be found prowling around most of the dungeons, always looking to net a little cash from the chaos that exists in your ancestral Estate. Beware, as this unscrupulous bunch doesn't care whether they rob from the living or the dead. In other words, be prepared to defend yourselves...it's either you or them!

The Brigand Bloodletter is a cruel taskmaster who employs his cat-o-nine-tails to employ maximum bleeding. And he can finish you off with a point blank shot from his pistol.

The Brigand Cutthroat is skilled with his dual blades...beware the sudden cold icy stab of merciless steel.

The Brigand Fusilier employs his thunderous blunderbuss to suppress and obliterate all who stand in the way.

Unofficial Fan Forums: DarkerDungeon.com
A fellow backer, SneakyPie, has set up a slick looking fansite and associated forum at darkerdungeon.com.

Our official forums are still a few months off, so we encourage you to go discuss all things Darkest Dungeon over at SneakyPie's forum! We'll drop in from time to time and check things out. We look forward to seeing the conversations!

Thanks to SneakyPie for helping the community grow!

Other Things We've Been Working On
June was a fun month, filled with lots of game progress, including:

• Continuing to build town: heroes can now upgrade, visit the tavern and abbey, and more!
  • MOAR MONSTERS: slimes, gargoyles, cultists, brigands, and more are now prowling the hallways!
  • Quest select and different quest difficulties: we've been building the systems required to allow quests of different challenge levels
  • Boss Design: there are some terrifying things you will face in the depths!
  • And tons more!
Q&A:
When do I get to personalize my hero, design my item, etc.?

We aren't sure yet whether we will be able to do those things before first Early Access launch or not. But rest assured, we will let you know when we need something from you! You haven't missed anything yet!

As always, thanks for the support! Until next time,

--The Darkest Dungeon team

Roderick

Savant
The art style they use is great, reminds me of Mike Mignola's artwork

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom