Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkfall: Unholy Wars

Mortmal

Arcane
I was posting in a very negative thread on darkfall steam forums, and it was deleted. The whole thread was deleted. Think about twice about giving them any money.

Mortmal

Arcane
I was posting in a very negative thread on darkfall steam forums, and it was deleted. The whole thread was deleted. Think about twice about giving them any money.

it's probably because your posting is as bad there as it is here.

I was not the author of thread and there was multiple posters. Also english posting is harder for a french, i am not doing so bad .

Mortmal

Arcane
No and on other steam forums , you can read very negative game impressions, for example impire , its not censored, nothing was locked or deleted . Steam does not hide the metacritic user score either . When a game is shit, reading the forum usually makes you aware of it quickly .

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
there is nothing of note being "deleted" from the steam forums as far as i can see - after a quick read, the negative opinions consist of:

a) This is WarZ.
b) GW2 is so much better than this.

They are not nuking the posts fast enough if you ask me.

Mortmal

Arcane
Some gentleman took time too asnwer on steam forum , you will notice its not my posting style and i ma not making that up, lets see how long it last :

"Yep Aventurine will delete ANY negitive posts in fact yours will probably be deleted shortly. Iv had several of mine delted. They will also ban you from their steam fourms if your critical enough. I could go on and on from being double billed(personal experience) To the game being poorly optimized, to the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ loot in this game(a patato from a dragon), Half the classes and abilitys not being in, half the content missing "Will be added later" Dont trust this company their greek afterall"

Mortmal

Arcane
Spelling is not an issue, posters are from all around the world, and the guy is just angry cause his former posts were deleted. I'd like you to try posting in other languages see how easy and convenient it its. You call criticism unconstructive whining, you should be mod, or maybe you are already, at bethesda or bioware forum, you will vfit very well with them.

Cromwell

Arcane
Spelling is not an issue, posters are from all around the world, and the guy is just angry cause his former posts were deleted. I'd like you to try posting in other languages see how easy and convenient it its. You call criticism unconstructive whining, you should be mod, or maybe you are already, at bethesda or bioware forum, you will vfit very well with them.

i dont like the loot, I think the game is not optimized, I dont like greeks, is not criticism. I are french therefore i are bad at another language is also idiotic.

Mortmal

Arcane
Itemization still not done after 10 years is a valid criticism, getting lot of CTD is another. The game optimization is a big issue .I remember on the original darkfall , during sieges, being able to cut someone into piece and loot him while he and dozens of others were completely frozen, then run away unharmed with several full armor set to boot. Is that fixed ? ill never know as if the answer is no, it will be deleted.

Does making a viable magician type character still require running a script to make him cast fireball on the wall the whole day while you are at work ? Can you still win pvp combat by not wearing armor and using a 2H sword then strafing your opponent to death ?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Rant mode engage!

What really got me to quit this game was the networking of the client. If you drop a few packets over a fraction of a second (Say, during 6 PM to midnight (Peak internet usage times for my ISP node, thanks a lot Netflix!)) it will disconnect your client from the server. Oh and btw it takes ten minutes to log back in. And if you were in combat (And you were, because this game is a grind) congrats -- you have to run back to your corpse and hope your equipment is still there. Apparently this is an anti-cheating mechanism, so that if somebody lags on purpose (Which gives you an advantange, due to the client) instead you will be disconnected. The '10 minutes to reconnect' thing is a happy accident, due to a buggy login app and long load times.

That and yeah the optimization totally sucked. 'Big sieges' was a major ticket for this game, but even on a new machine built to run Darkfall it constantly CTDed. There were a ton of optimization settings in-game, but it still ran like a sack of crap due to bad design.

Little things too, like when someone spawns a mount if you don't have those models loaded into memory (Of course they don't preload) you have to pull them from your hard drive and for some reason that takes forever to get them pulled into the client, which responds to the delay by stuttering/lagging.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What really got me to quit this game was the networking of the client. If you drop a few packets over a fraction of a second (Say, during 6 PM to midnight (Peak internet usage times for my ISP node, thanks a lot Netflix!)) it will disconnect your client from the server. Oh and btw it takes ten minutes to log back in.

You didn't drop that easy, but yeah the 10 minute timeout was annoying. I wonder if they have fixed that in DFUW.

flabbyjack

Arcane
What really got me to quit this game was the networking of the client. If you drop a few packets over a fraction of a second (Say, during 6 PM to midnight (Peak internet usage times for my ISP node, thanks a lot Netflix!)) it will disconnect your client from the server. Oh and btw it takes ten minutes to log back in.

You didn't drop that easy, but yeah the 10 minute timeout was annoying. I wonder if they have fixed that in DFUW.
I dropped like really really easily after I moved into a new house. I even hooked up a packet logger to show the rate of packet drops during primetime. I made some charts and everything to show the cable guy, in the vain hope that they would upgrade the local node. The client-server should allow for lag spikes without dropping you out for 10 minutes, as that would happen to me several times in an evening :(

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so i received an e-mail saying that i have 700% discount on the game and over9000% discount on the subscription package. why? is this game tanking? is the community still shit? is the "revamped" game a piece of shit? anyone knows?

Whiran

Magister
so i received an e-mail saying that i have 700% discount on the game and over9000% discount on the subscription package. why? is this game tanking? is the community still shit? is the "revamped" game a piece of shit? anyone knows?
A lot of people who play Darkfal Unholy Wars don't use Steam (or so fanboys in the Steam forums claim) but if Steam is any indication....

http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

Average number of players in the past 30 days: 52 down from 500+ peak.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Iirc I bought DFUW on Steam: then there is some fiddling I had to do to link to a DFUW account with the game developer.

DFUW is pretty cool. Most people who try it then move on have reasons like:

1. huge time sink
2. w/o enough time and energy invested a majority of people's characters will be fodder for established players.
3. crafting system is painfully repetitive w/only hard core players & clans able to create the high end items which are then used to dominate casuals
4. class balance can not exist in that game
5. a certain type of person/people do well in DFUW - for them it's a dream-for others a nightmare
6. solo players can exist only if they are extremely tolerant of being pk'd or are a #5 personality type
7. cheating is allowed

I basically quit because of #1 & #7, but enjoyed the game because of #6 but not because I am a #5

A lot of people who play Darkfal Unholy Wars don't use Steam (or so fanboys in the Steam forums claim) but if Steam is any indication....

http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

Average number of players in the past 30 days: 52 down from 500+ peak.

It was on sale on Steam. The counter may or may not include only people launching it through Steam, I dunno.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Iirc I bought DFUW on Steam: then there is some fiddling I had to do to link to a DFUW account with the game developer.

1. huge time sink
2. w/o enough time and energy invested a majority of people's characters will be fodder for established players.
3. crafting system is painfully repetitive w/only hard core players & clans able to create the high end items which are then used to dominate casuals
5. a certain type of person/people do well in DFUW - for them it's a dream-for others a nightmare
6. solo players can exist only if they are extremely tolerant of being pk'd or are a #5 personality type
7. cheating is allowed

I basically quit because of #1 & #7, but enjoyed the game because of #6 but not because I am a #5

so it's still like old DF
i wonder why they even bothered doing the whole UW/relaunch thing then

Cromwell

Arcane

1. huge time sink
7. cheating is allowed

Can you ellaborate on #7?

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The cheating is based on a scripting program that the developer allows per the EULA and even recommends using the scripting program (though not for unattended harvesting)
I personally observed player's characters harvesting in the safe zone using a looped script, for hours...
Then the player and his clan sold the harvested resources. The resources are used to increase crafting skills.
Without buying the resources a player must direct his/her character to manually harvest....
So a player with a character that is able to harvest unattended is at a huge advantage, monetarily and crafting skill-wise.
A lot of complaints were registered, but it seemed to be selective justice. Just depended who's clan the player was in.
Just too much game meta-politics for me, some people thrive on that though.

Lots of players said it was a big advancement from DF 1, though many were die hard DF1 fans. I guess they were the ones who did well in DF1.

There are parts of the game that are really interesting and pretty intense. Treasure hunting is a great feature, and thats what i mostly did, while trying to avoid detection of packs of marauding players who wanted nothing more than to relieve me of my treasure map :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom