Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Day9 comments on his gaming fatigue

Ulrox

Arbiter
I feel like this is quite relevant for a lot of people here on the codex.

I would love a mature discussion on this subject.

What is your method for dealing with this? (besides being on the RPG Codex)

I deeply wish that I had this great motivation for gaming again as I had as a kid, but a lot of the time, I can't achieve any real hype for any newer game. Most I feel is just :"meh" and playing feels like a grind, maybe because many games today are very grindy by default.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't play shit games.

edit: Jesus Christ, this guy could be in the dictionary next to lumpenprole.

Last edited:

hivemind

If video games don't do it for you try another hobby.

Either the break will help you get it up for video games again or you will find another hobby that you can enjoy.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
He installed FO3 and did a full weekend, no sleep, hyped play. Stopped here!

Oh, you want a mature discussion...

Hmm, I usually have some periods when I get fed up with games. Nothing I install can get a hold of my motivation for more than 5 minutes. I'm currently in one of those periods.

In these times I focus more on other activities (tv shows/art/music/sports/whatever), because I know I will only be immersed in another game when I get an urge to play a specific game or game type.

I don't relate this to age. Of course that when we are young we get more hyped about stuff, but I'm pushing 40 and a few months ago started playing Starcraft 2. Did a 4 month binge on it and got my mind wrapped on it all day long like a kid.

It's also a matter of predisposition, in my opinion.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I think that this depends on are you a old or new gamer.
New gamers have this weird problem with playing most games the they hate for hours and then getting burned out,while old school gamers mostly give up and recognize bad game play features very quickly.
Modern user reviews mostly prove that with the worst games getting a 5 or 6 instead of 1 or 0,they have no concept why they liked or hated the game.
And if you are a new gamer and constantly playing modern cinematic citizen kanes of gaming you will eventually get burned out,while old school gamers can easily enjoy their classics in any age.
And add to this that most modern gamers nostalgia is based on their memories instead of playing the old games,they can get easily suckered in playing the new thief and hitmans even though they only played their older counterparts because it was popular back then.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I feel the same way bro, I wish I could be as excited as I was as a kid, and not just about games.

Things back then were magical, I could spend hundreds of hours in a single game, just fooling around or replaying the same shit over and over again. I wasn't that familiar with many genres and was a noob, but I was genuinely excited for the few things I played.

Today I almost mechanically just sweep through one title after another, trying to finish my never ending backlog.

I still enjoy a lot of the stuff I play, but I am rarely mindblown and I can never get very hyped about anything. I used to, but after playing hundreds of titles and waiting for launches through the years, I don't feel anything is warranted that much attention and excitement.

They are all just games I'll play at some point and a week or two later complete them and move on to something else.

:negative:

Edit: As for day9, it makes even more sense for him, since he does it as a job which means he has to sit in front of a screen everyday for all these hours playing the same shit for his viewers.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why do you make a threads about some random YT channels? There are threads for that thing, to dump that shit there.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Why do you make a threads about some random YT channels? There are threads for that thing, to dump that shit there.
I dont know, you could read my post to gain understanding about why I do instead of making random assumptions?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Often these days I get a feeling that I should be doing something more productive when I play video games. It makes me very impatient and wanting to "get it over with so I can move on" which results in less fun and amplifies that feeling

Achilles

Arcane
As you grow older your patience for shit gameplay mechanics steadily runs out and experience allows you to see them coming a mile away. You don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore so it is that more important that what you do end up playing is fun and engaging. Also, you realize that many of the more popular games are targeted towards teenagers and young adults and their shitty tastes in both aesthetics and gameplay.

Athelas

Arcane
This should be fairly obvious - if you're not having fun, stop playing the game you're playing.

Though if you're anything like me, there is that evergrowing backlog hanging over you like a Sword of Damocles...

I've been burned out on games for a long time now, I'm 35 and it's really difficult getting into something, not because of the usual reasons (I do work a full time job but have no wife or kids); rather because I feel discouraged, more often than not, by the fact that games are dumber now than they were 20 years ago across pretty much every genre that I like, and some of them, like space combat sims, have all but disappeared.

Even competitive online games like Dota or Starcraft (I still play Dota fairly regularly) are not as interesting because the optimal strategies are often figured out very quickly and there's very little room for making your own plays or finding something new that works. So it's often a case of following something that has been found to work unless you're exceptional at some particular game, which isn't my case. I played competitive fighting games for many years but since the death of the arcade I don't feel there's any point to it, so I haven't done that for close to 10 years.

And even when some new game grabs me and I don't think it's insulting my intelligence, I often can't play it through to completion, I feel like reading a book or watching a movie or doing something else with my time. I guess that's age and inevitable, I've made my peace with it even though I've been playing videogames since I was 4 or 5 years old.

I think the reasons for younger people getting burnt out are quite different; there are way too many games on the market now and people have shorter attention spans in general. Wouldn't know how to relate to that.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It comes and goes. I'm generally a bit autistic in that I don't have much of a problem getting obsessively absorbed in things. I mean, you probably won't ever get the feeling you had playing your favourite game till 5 am as a kid (the Chrstmas breaks I spent with BG2 and PST are as vivid as ever in my memory), but you can get pretty close with the right game. Some of the games I've been completely absorbed by in recent memory, would include Dark Souls, Eador and Memoria, to give some examples.

On a somewhat different note, I'm finding that I have less and less patience for games which expect me to spend upwards of 50 hours on repetitive and dull shit - I guess I don't like RPGs as much as I used to. In the past half a year, I've accidentally moved to the other end of the scale - bullet hell shmups, games which can be cleared in 20-25 minutes, but you play them for tens of hours because the core gameplay is really good, and also because you need to git gud before you win. They also give me the feeling of gradual improvement that I used to love competitive multiplayer games for, but without needing to deal with halfwits online.

So I say, from my own example, if you're feeling burned out on gaming, maybe try things outside of your comfort zone? You might be surprised.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Heh. I used to have this PC Gamer article on Age of Empires 2. Just a preview, about six or seven pages with loads of pictures.

I took it with me everywhere. Read it nonstop. Talked about it with friends, etc. etc.

Yeah, that doesn't happen much anymore

Coincidentally though I did play Earth Defense Force a fucking ton with my roommate in college. It's rare to find games that fun now that I'm all cynical and grouchy.

KK1001

Arbiter
It's a combination of aging and the objective decline of gaming. Not saying that games are any worse, it's just that they have been using the same core mechanics for 15 years and it is getting pretty damn old at this point. Of course one would get tired of it. It's the same old shit, packaged and repackaged.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I like Day9. As opposed to some casters, he isn't some Ritalin fueled maniac. He's entertaining without trying "harder" and he frequently has astute observations about games.

He is the one caster I am tempted to subscribe to (but I won't).

I get where he is at. I end up there a lot myself - though my reasons and situation are different.

Duckard

Augur
I sometimes feel like not playing games for whatever reason, but if I'm honest that's usually because I'm playing a game that I don't like or am not in the mood for. Sometimes you feel like playing games and sometimes you don't. It doesn't mean you dislike games. I will say I don't play tedious games with mechanics designed to waste time anymore. I prefer a game that I can dig into a little or at least get a good show. Honestly, the way I maintain interest is by making let's plays which gives me a reason to play games regularly, and also forces me to switch up how I play games. It helped me get back some of the childish joy from my hobby.

Obviously, when you're a kid and have all the time in the world, a game with 300+ hours of gameplay seems amazing. Now, I just look at that and think only 10 of those hours will be any good and everything else will be stretched out and boring. Also, you lose the novelty a lot quicker when you're older.

Amn Nom

Learned
Generally I have been moving away from the open world and more sandboxey games. Used to love those massive games I could lose myself in for hours and hours. Now? I' don't have the patience or inclination for that shit. A more linear experience is something I can have a lot more fun with and get value out of.

Being someone who plays games for stories, barring exceptions like the Souls games, makes it even harder. The amount of games I've put down is ridiculous. Thank god for Steam refunds so I can get my money back on something like Grimrock 2. Is the game good? Yes, but I don't want to walk around looking for switches and keys when I would rather just play a more popamole blobber like M&M X. Or better yet, avoid them completely for something like Dark Souls. Think I'm at 6 play throughs of it now?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heh. I used to have this PC Gamer article on Age of Empires 2. Just a preview, about six or seven pages with loads of pictures.

I took it with me everywhere. Read it nonstop. Talked about it with friends, etc. etc.

Coincidentally though I did play Earth Defense Force a fucking ton with my roommate in college. It's rare to find games that fun now that I'm all cynical and grouchy.

Yeah, that genuine hype feeling. I remember reading about X-com TFTD in a tech-magazine, so the article was just a tiny thing. But the pictures, and my own imagination, well it was magical. And I remember it like yesterday. Not only that game. It repeated itself several times. Reading about stuff, and thinking about it for weeks. Talking about it. Now I can finish a game I have been waiting for some time and a month later I'm having trouble remembering what the game was even about. Games feels more temporary now, something you consume for an hour, and this shit burns you out. It makes you jaded as fuck. Well at least me. But lately I have played some nice games that have been giving me that old-school fun (Battle Brothers, Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, Rogue Warrior, Outcast and Terraria).

I remember reading IWD walkthrough at the end of some gaming journal. Thought shit was incredible, eventually got my hands on a CD copy and here we are.
:love:

sser

Arcane
Developer

Yeah, that genuine hype feeling. I remember reading about X-com TFTD in a tech-magazine, so the article was just a tiny thing. But the pictures, and my own imagination, well it was magical. And I remember it like yesterday. Not only that game. It repeated itself several times. Reading about stuff, and thinking about it for weeks. Talking about it. Now I can finish a game I have been waiting for some time and a month later I'm having trouble remembering what the game was even about. Games feels more temporary now, something you consume for an hour, and this shit burns you out. It makes you jaded as fuck. Well at least me. But lately I have played some nice games that have been giving me that old-school fun (Battle Brothers, Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, Rogue Warrior, Outcast and Terraria).

Cynicism begins to set in - or at least it did for me - when a pattern begins to develop. The mechanics of gameplay are too readily obvious to me that it's like spotting tropes in a horror movie. This move does this, this move does that, this enemy behaves in this manner, this mechanic behaves in that one. I don't need to get into details as I'm sure most know exactly what I'm talking about. Fond remembrance isn't reserved for that which you are seeing for the tenth time over. In a way, this is why open-world games are so enjoyable: you know what you get, but you get enough diversity to kinda wash out the lack of originality. Fast feedback and quick rewards are a staple of game design today for a reason.

But there's something else that's always bothering me. It's the fact that gaming is nowhere near where I thought it would be. I mentioned in another thread that Silent Storm felt like the future of strategy games to me. Large maps, destructible buildings, cool physics, etc. If I throw a grenade it might bounce off a wall or hit a guy and spin into another room. An explosion might throw a guy through a window or drop someone through the floor. Traps could blow the face off a building or even bring the whole thing down. I could shoot through walls at enemies I 'heard.' It was an immense experience for the time period. Fast-forward a decade and where are we? Not only does none of that exist, we've actually reversed in many ways. I do think this is why I have had a growing affinity for what I deem simple-shit like Broforce or even HuniePop. I know it's dumb as hell, but side-scrolling shoot 'em up and match-three gameplay is what it is. There's little hint of lost potential there, so I can just sit back and enjoy them for what they are. When I play something like XCOM I spend a lot of time trying to shove away the thought that this game is nowhere near where it should be a decade after I experienced something like Silent Storm. I have to think, "Alright, the game mechanics work on their own merit. The fact those very mechanics are a decade behind should not be held against it... the fact those mechanics are a decade behind should not be held against it... the fact..."

One much darker aspect of it is this: life in my teens was simply easier to escape. The tendrils of things to think about were thin and easily snapped. Life after my teens is obviously much harder. Escapism is always a phonecall away from being shattered, a I-gotta-get-up-to-work-in-X-hours thought away from being neutralized. How can you fully immerse yourself into an experience when there are a 100-different things flying around your head of various import? Shit, there's little wonder adults become alcoholics or drug addicts or self-deluding liars: the single best way to escape is to just blur reality so much you can't even see it anymore. Witcher 3's pretty good, but it ain't that good if you catch my drift.

That's not to say it's all bad, though. Games are still inherently fun, they're more prolific and diverse than ever as far as how many there are, and as I've gotten older I've taken to enjoying just thinking about what they are from the viewpoint of mechanics and what drives them, the same way I watch old movies and now notice little tricks and camera shots that I used to take for advantage. I just don't buy into hype anymore. Maybe it's Spore's fault :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mixing good drugs and spirits with games may help. I was even able to enjoy Mass Effect 3 multiplayer when I was braindead drunk.:happytrollboy:

On a more serious note... yep, the childhood ended and now you just can't be immersed into game as strong as it was before. But at the same time you can observe the game from another (more mature) point of view: you may coldly seek cool game strategies, enjoy clever writing or fine art, see how different parts of game are working, you may look at the game as the holistic system which is interesting to analyze, interpret or deconstruct. It can be fun too, but, of course, it's not the same as the child immersion.

If you are lucky and playing right games, sometimes you may have these childhood flashbacks when the game completely captures you. And if you're really burned out, then you should do something else for a while. Read some Heidegger, fuck a waifu, post shit on dex...

Maschtervoz

Learned
I had this problem on and off the last couple of years and I've reached the conclusion that, for me at least, it is the result of a combination of shit games and my patience for bullshit significantly decreasing as I got older. I'm still perfectly able to really get into a game, but it did become significantly harder to find a title that grabs me, as opposed to ten years ago when I had little concept of systems or pacing or balance and other such autistic things, and just derped around in games having dumb fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom