Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DBZ RPG

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I'm creating a DBZ rpg in rpg maker,,, wait wait, keep on reading,, TURN BASED ! :p inb4

wat is this animu faggotry on mah codex?'

Well, dbz is a classic.........

but nothing of value will be achieved :rpgcodex:

Sorry can't help you if you don't like dbz, but maybe you will play it for a different battle system?

maybe but teh animu faggotry.....:rpgcodex:

It will be a card based game in type of the late 80's early 90's dbz games on nes and snes.

Soon i will be releasing first alpha demo for everyone to play with the finished battle system and first island with random encounters so he can play some and tell me how much it sux.

Combat goes like this :

Every round each member of your team gets drawn random 3 cards, you pick 1 of them and attack.
Cards have 2 values from 1 to 7 , 1 value is your attack 2nd enemy defense. Depending on what card you draw the damage is calculated by the card value attack - enemy value defense + your level (your attack and defense accordingly for attacking and defending).
So far there will be 3 types of cards , basic attack, energy attack that requires KI (mana) and 'attack all' card.
Basic attack - well the most basic attack and most often drawn card
energy attack - rare card that lets you use your characters special abilities (like gokus kamehameha)
attack all - medium rare, lets you attack all opponents with basic attack.
Combination of all types gives about 50 cards overall.
In future i'll add 'favourite' type of cards of current character, giving a special attack.

no pics so far because i'm running on place holders, combat + menu is about like 80% of the hard work, creating rest is just time consuming.

Oh yea, codexia is first to hear about my glorious effort!

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
A little edit to the combat explanation (30 min edit time passed o_O )

Every round each member of your team gets drawn random 3 cards, you pick 1 of them and attack.
Cards have 2 values from 1 to 7 , 1 value is your attack 2nd enemy defense. 1-7 is the power 1 is weakest and 7 strongest.. Depending on what card you draw the damage is calculated by the card value attack - enemy value defense(and vice versa) + your level (your attack and defense accordingly for attacking and defending) and enemy level and his stats.
So far there will be 3 types of cards , basic attack, energy attack that requires KI (mana) and 'attack all' card.
Basic attack - well the most basic attack and most often drawn card
energy attack - rare card that lets you use your characters special abilities (like gokus kamehameha)
attack all - medium rare, lets you attack all opponents with basic attack.
Combination of all types gives about 50 cards overall.
In future i'll add 'favourite' type of cards of current character, giving a special attack.

So combat would look like this

You get 3 cards and pick 1 for attack. 7 attack and 1 defense, enemy gets a card with 1 attack and 7 defense. They clash and fight.

Even though you have strongest 7 attack he also have 7 strongest defense so there is not much damage done, if he would get a 1 def the damage would be devastating and vice versa. Other numbers have according damage calculated by the formula.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It would be shit. In DBZ combat is all about "ki", every fighter is the same (except weirdos like cell), so "roleplaying" would be non-existent. And forget about non-combat skills :lol:

You should make a Dragon Ball (without "Z") RPG instead. It would allow different fighting styles and strategies, more down to earth enemies (mechs, tanks or even guys with machineguns), and different kind of adventurers (like Bulma). Also, the setting is way more interesting.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When I read the topic, I instantly thought DB setting would be more interesting as well. None of the alien/ super saiyan stuff, and a cool Krillin before they dumbed him down.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You should make a joke about the fact how the ass-pulled "Sayans get stronger when they're beat up" plot-element is hilariously exploitable.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ever played the DBT module for ToME 3.0 ? Did a lot of cool stuff the codex would like, CHA/science checks for a lot of dialogue, lots of non linear exclusive things in the game. Getting to Kami's lookout, for example, can be done by acquiring an artifact, learning how to fly through ki, or by building a jetpack. Pity it never got finished.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
It would be shit. In DBZ combat is all about "ki", every fighter is the same (except weirdos like cell), so "roleplaying" would be non-existent.

Think of it as an rpg with 1 character class :roll: , also it's my first game and i have basicaly no knowledge of development..... do you know how much time i spent on making only the menu and the battle system? With my skills and knowledge of coding a full fledged RPG would take me 10 to 15 years. It will be a 'light' hearted RPG. 100% of what it will have from rpgs is a turn based combat system ala final fantasy with cards and stats.

And forget about non-combat skills :lol:

I already have this planned, but this is a card game and I will have non-combat cards, which you can also call skills as they will act as one.

You should make a Dragon Ball (without "Z") RPG instead.

Demo will be only DBZ - simply becasue i already have sprites made, but the full version i probably will want to start from the original DB.

The first and second arcs, per chance? pre-adult Son Go Ku?

read above:roll:

You should make a joke about the fact how the ass-pulled "Sayans get stronger when they're beat up" plot-element is hilariously exploitable.

Actualy this is a pretty good idea for a game system. I might add something like 'Battle Power' and when you level or geat beat up your character becomes stronger.

CHA/science checks for a lot of dialogue, lots of non linear exclusive things in the game. Getting to Kami's lookout, for example, can be done by acquiring an artifact, learning how to fly through ki, or by building a jetpack. Pity it never got finished.

Sorry i won't have any dialoge checks or anything fancy like that, a few lines of code takes me weeks. :roll:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
First teaser

OnxFb.png

aERPm.png

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
but nothing of value will be achieved :rpgcodex: We have too many JRPGs already (including those old DBZ card games)... Why are you doing this?

Make something different... Maybe a Saint Seiya card game? I would kill for a Robotech card game, or an RPG Codex card game *wink wink*

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Yea you try doing something about you have no idea of and does not interest you :roll:

We have too many JRPGs already (including those old DBZ card games)... Why are you doing this?
so ?

There was never a DB game from small goku to dbz buu saga, and thats what im planning in the long run and maybe even GT. I'm making a game i would like to play, so basicaly i'm making a game for myself by myself :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom