Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space

Multi-headed Cow

Time to pull a Kingcomrade and make a thread about a game I missed and only recently started playing and nobody else gives a shit at this point any more.

Anyway, this game is pretty cool! Had it sitting in my Steam list for probably a couple years now after buying it during a winter sale (Actually just checked, November 28th 2009 for $15. Also spent $15 on Dead Space 2 later, and Steam is now selling both in a bundle for $13. VAAAAAAAAAAAAAALVE) and just started playing a few days ago. Really enjoyable, still nice graphics, nice sound, nice story such that it is, and pretty good monsters. Plus it's the ultimate Codex game because multi-headed dicks are forever slapping ass and thigh because they want to add you to the hivemind.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/64986 ... EF140BF60/

Maybe I've just been playing too many terrible indie games lately but I'm really enjoying it. Might dive into 2 as soon as I finish 1 up. Or maybe not, just so I have a break from CONSTANT THIRD PERSON ACTION before Batman.

Stinger

Arcane
When I first tried it out the mouse interface was clunky as hell and I just wrote it off as an awful port.

Did they ever fix that?

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have never really cared much for it. The first one or two chapters were pretty promising, but it quickly turns into a slow motion, chop 'em up after that.

It doesn't matter what kind of enemy you are facing, whether it is a tumor hydra with baby faces or a bone sucking snake mutant, when you are fighting hundreds of them while you are armed with a multi chainsaw laser bazooka they won't be frightening. Once the original enemies have lost all tension, the game simply reintroduces them, but with black skin. It doesn't matter, because you have already ripped the arms off these enemies and beat them to death with it numerous times at the point this change occurs.

The balance of power in that game is all wrong for a "cinematic" horror entry. The only thing it can throw at you is hordes of enemies, but between the ability to slow enemies down, fire anti gravity chainsaws, kill enemies by crippling them, and just use your plain overpowered basic weapon, they become routine quite quickly.

If you take it as an action game, it can be pretty entertaining though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Nope. The only known way to fix the mouse issues is to disable vsync in the game and force it through a 3rd-party application. Shame it was never fixed because other than that it works fine. Using a pad also avoids that issue.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dead Space 1 was fun in a resident evil in space kind of way.

Dead Space 2 on the other hand do the deadly sin of spawning shit behind you EVERY DAM TIME!. It is not bad game, but i fucking hated that.
In one they would normally show the monster duck into a vent so when it came out of a vent behind you it made sens. In DS2 there is a fucking Portal to hell in your ass and the monsters come out there.

baronjohn

Cipher
DS1 was okay. It had an okayish aesthetic, and okayish gameplay. The story was retarded, but that only came up toward the end anyway, so it didn't matter.

DS2 was shit.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah Aldebaran, kinda agree with you there. I've been super well supplied for most of the game (Playing on normal admittedly, maybe it'd be scarier on hard) so it hasn't been particularly creepy. A few unexpected oh shit moments were pretty cool though, but nowhere near as scary as System Shock 2 for space ships filled with blobby monsters examples.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I played only the first game and it was p. decent but started to get boring and repetitive around 6th stage.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Yeah Aldebaran, kinda agree with you there. I've been super well supplied for most of the game (Playing on normal admittedly, maybe it'd be scarier on hard) so it hasn't been particularly creepy. A few unexpected oh shit moments were pretty cool though, but nowhere near as scary as System Shock 2 for space ships filled with blobby monsters examples.

I played through it on the hardest difficulty, and the thing is, you are more than capable of going through the game without getting a new weapon. In fact, your starting weapon is THE BEST weapon you will get. It has quite good damage and attack speed, but more importantly it is impossible to avoid the locust horde of ammo you get for it and its aiming mechanics make it ideal for tearing off limbs, which is the main method of dealing damage. If you played through it on the hardest difficulty the first time it might have been different.

Also, take Samus Aran's charge beam just for the sheer thrill. Use the the stasis ability to roleplay the ice beam.

The game really would have worked better with a lot less, but a lot more powerful necromorphs fought in interesting sets. More required ammo management and toned down weapons would have helped greatly as well. Most importantly, the game should have never stopped building tension with long, slow moments after the initial chapters.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE HAD THIS GAME A YEAR OR MORE FOR MY FAGBOX AND I HAVE YET TO PLAY IT

BRO WHEN I GET DRNK AND GO TO TARGET I BUY ANYTHING I WOULD REMOTELY LIKE IF IT IS 20 DOLLARS OR LESS

I HAVE TROUBLE WITH DRUNK PC GAME BUYING TOO IT IS EVEN WORSE CAUSE YOU CAN GET SHIT FOR UNDER 5 DOLLARS THAT YOU MIGHT REASONABLY ENJOY SOMEDAY

Aldebaran said:

But it is an action game. A survival/action, if you will, just like last two Resident Evil games. Just gotta play on highest difficulty when using keyboard/mouse to feel some of that "survival" aspect. Normal is way too easy.
And yes, it might be possible to go through the game using only Plasma Cutter (I think there's an achievement for that), but I don't see why you'd want to. It'd make you resort to using the same tactics over and over and probably upgrading stasis to max and abusing it. Myself, I prefer not to use stasis too much, except on those super fast enemies later.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Multidirectional said:
Aldebaran said:

But it is an action game. A survival/action, if you will, just like last two Resident Evil games. Just gotta play on highest difficulty when using keyboard/mouse to feel some of that "survival" aspect. Normal is way too easy.

I don't know, I think it was pretty clear that they were aiming for a survival horror game, with more action than usual, in at least RE4 and Dead Space 1. The environment, the concept, the sound, and most of the other elements of the game definitely make me feel that horror was supposed to be emphasized over the other aspects.

There may have been a lot of action in both RE4 and Dead Space, but that was just "innovation" and appealing to a wider audience. To be fair, I really liked a lot of the village setting in RE4, but it went downhill fast after that. That said, I would need quite a bit of whiskey to even entertain the idea of RE5 as a horror game, I completely agree with you there.

Aldebaran said:
I don't know, I think it was pretty clear that they were aiming for a survival horror game, with more action than usual, in at least RE4 and Dead Space 1.

So it's an action game with a creepy atmosphere. I don't really care what they were aiming for, end result is that they are not horror games in any way. Only part that remotely resembles horror in RE4 is the part where you control Ashley for a bit.
But for the most part, if you are going to call these games "horror" you might as well clasify Doom 3 as a "horror" game too.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Multi-headed Cow said:
I've been super well supplied for most of the game (Playing on normal admittedly, maybe it'd be scarier on hard) so it hasn't been particularly creepy.

I completed the first 2 levels on normal and then restarted on hard due to the abundance of supplies. You'll still end up hoarding lots of stuff, especially if you're careful, but the start is at least tense because of that.

Project: Eternity
I hated DS1 at first but came back to it later and had a good time. The second one was actually more fun to me because they cleaned up the mechanics a little (the stasis and telekinesis powers actually became useful, for one). Not amazing I guess, but I had fun.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dead Space was almost the game Doom3 wished to be. Dead Space 2 tried to be Resident Evil V IN SPACE or something.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Dead Space had a very good atmosphere going on, the sounddesigners knew what they were doing. Tried to play it on hard for the first few levels, then it was actually challenging. Sadly, the game went derp the further you progress through it. I remember one particular "mission" where you needed to mount some space cannon to destroy asteroids, almost ragequitted there. Or this mining meteor /w those moving.. things on it you needed to jump on.

:x

Deleted member 7219

The Dead Space games are really good. I played the first one on 360 then bought the second on PC with the first bundled in. I didn't like playing the first again on PC, didn't think the controls worked very well, but the second was much better.

They do the 'Resident Evil in space' thing well, with far less cutscenes and corny dialogue. The biggest problem I found was the gameplay isn't broken up very well. Sometimes the enemies just keep coming at you and you get bored. I almost rage-quitted Dead Space 2 near the end when you go into a room, enemies spawn, you kill them and then you're half way across the room when more come in, then more, then more, and you actually run out of ammo. If you run ahead, you run into more enemies, and the enemies from before catch up with you and kill you from behind.

Dead Space 3 could use more break-up of gameplay, they can look at Half-Life 2 and Uncharted 2 for inspiration here. More exploration and puzzles would be welcome.

DraQ

Arcane
Haven't played DS2, but DS1 was good. Not much of a horror, but the vacuum sequences were fucking brilliant and the enemies were at least interesting. Had faint SS2 vibes too.
Port quality, apart from shitty controls and stupid savepoints seemed decent enough.

Would gladly buy was it not for shitty DRM.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters.

Yeah, Dead Space is amazing, that's some brilliant game design.

DraQ

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters. Enter room. Get ambushed by monsters.

Yeah, Dead Space is amazing, that's some brilliant game design.
OMG NO SOUND IN SPACE!!!1 :bounce:
Fixed for what really matters.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
Tried it this year. Had very low expectations. Played on hard.

Game is banal, shit, boring. But it starts out so good...

Bad

- You progressively get more money and armor which makes it a boring ass popamole joke, its shit after 3 hours, end of story
- Same kind of monsters after a while

Good

+ No regen health popamole piece of shit
+ What surprised me is that in the first hour or two I managed to run out of ammo. I had to smack those motherfuckers and run! By far the best part of the game! Hell, I can even remember the last time, if ever, I managed to run out of ammo in a game!!!
+ Fucking POV is ridiculous. At first I though my dual lcd setup is messing it up. But its nice and limiting.
+ They also wont let you turn 180 degrees with 1 cm mouse movement, motherfuckers, running makes you turn slower too, sweet
+ It has a flamethrower
+ It makes sense to use different guns too
+ Can buy those upgrade kits

Freelance Henchman said:
The second one was actually more fun to me because they cleaned up the mechanics a little (the stasis and telekinesis powers actually became useful, for one)

What are you talking about, stasis is pretty damn powerful in first one too.
DS2 could've been better than DS1 with those slightly improved controls and more difficulty, but I didn't like how it tried even harder to look like horror game, eventually ending up being way too dark most of the time. Also, it should've had more boss fights than first one, not ditch them altogether. I grew tired of it by the end. Ending segment felt very unfun too.
DS1 is better for what it is, I'd say.

hoopy

Savant
I quit soon after reaching the first upgrade station. I got fed up with the mouse aiming, felt like I was using a pad. Couldn't hit a damn thing.

Didn't seem like a very interesting game anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom