Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I would also recommend Dead Space 2. A solid action game with some real horror moments.

1st game is still the best and is almost unrelenting in horror and scares.
None of the Dead Space games were scary.

First two are great shooters, though.

i must be too much of a pussy then :'(

on the other hand, doom 3 bored me to tears, didn't scare me at all, ever.

Deleted member 7219

i must be too much of a pussy then :'(

on the other hand, doom 3 bored me to tears, didn't scare me at all, ever.

I found Doom 3 to be scary in a stressful way. Nothing psychological about it, just a lot of loud noises and things jumping out at you.

Dead Space had a great sense of atmosphere.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
DooM3 was pretty scary to me, had to finish it in god mode. Dead Space was also pretty scary, so was Stalker and Fear and Metro. I like the idea of horror games (mystery, suspense, unknown, all that stuff) but i wish i didnt get scared so easily.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom 3 was scary? I had to miss that part of the game.

Dead Space has an excellent sound design and use of 5.1 speaker system.
DooM3 was scary if you get easily rattled by things jumping out suddenly out of monster closets, which I do. Sadly the jump scares got absolutely predictable after about three levels. Come to staircase, wait for something to jump from under it, shoot it, turn around, shoot the imp teleporting in, oh look vents, it's spider time, etc. Scariest part of the game is probably the entrance to the Delta Labs when nothing actually attacks you.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom 3 was scary? I had to miss that part of the game.

Dead Space has an excellent sound design and use of 5.1 speaker system.
DooM3 was scary if you get easily rattled by things jumping out suddenly out of monster closets, which I do. Sadly the jump scares got absolutely predictable after about three levels. Come to staircase, wait for something to jump from under it, shoot it, turn around, shoot the imp teleporting in, oh look vents, it's spider time, etc. Scariest part of the game is probably the entrance to the Delta Labs when nothing actually attacks you.

Yep, repeating the same scenario over and over killed all the fun. Finding new looks of old enemies kept me through the game. I tried to replay but didn't really feel strong enough to finish it. Delta Labs was cool though, I agree. It's just a shame it's a drop of water in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F6ZKPuasgE

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dead Space 1 is the worst of the series; it is front-loaded and later on degrades into a series of menial, repetitive tasks that relegate the player to the role of a cargo loader.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
To clarify with Doom 3, the first level where everything goes to shit on the base and you can hear the marines screaming and people pounding on the walls was really well done. I agree after awhile it just amounts to a bunch of jump scares.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Nah the whole game was pretty creepy. Dark, small flashlight, nasty monsters coming out to get you, spooky levels etc. Maybe i just get easily scared. I stay away from true horror games like silent hill or stuff like that.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
nasty monsters with high pitched whines coming out to get you one or two at a time only to be killed immediately by your shotgun

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Back in 2004 I was scared shitless by Doom3. I remember not daring to continue playing a level because it was too stressful to constantly switch between the flashlight/can't shoot and the pitch black darkness/can't see shit.

Now I laugh at myself for being scared of those cheap monster closets.

The gist is, "scary" is all subjective. Arguing whether a game is "scary" or not is pointless.

BTW, I couldn't finish Outlast because I was literally laughing at the cheap scares. But I could totally see some noob shitting his pants playing that game.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I fixed the mouse aim to be pretty decent when I played it. I think I had to turn off v-synch and then force it through drivers, plus adjust the sensitivity more through the ini file.

It's a good game after that, IMO.

The bad control adds to the experience.

Makes you feel more like a clumsy engineer than a space marine.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Never played the first dead space, only the second. Beginning was pretty scary for me because I hadn't played a lot of horror games back then, but soon I kinda grew numb to the closet monsters that jumped out constantly, and game game ceased to be scary, but some sorta tension was still there till the end. Nowadays I've played Silent Hill, Amnesia, Scratches etc. so yeah, Dead Space scares just seem cheap at this point. Still, the gore and scream till your lungs drop style does have a certain different horror feel that other games don't have.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Dunno, whole game to me was pretty atmospheric, the level designs pretty decent, and a surprising amount of depth put in to the lore behind the "Scientology-in-name-only" religion for what was essentially just a Resident Evil 4/System Shock 2 clone with a limb gimmick, but 'scary' is being a bit too generous. Isaac looks and handles like a walking tank, which isn't at all helped by the fact that the single best and most effective weapon in the game also happens to be the first weapon you get. The combat can get suitably tense and frenetic, but you can get most of the 'horror' experience of Dead Space by having a friend standing over you to scream in your ear every time he see's a Necromorph playing dead on the ground or a vent cover.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There were some genuinely well-designed horror moments. That time with the candles and some faint voice singing stands out in my mind.

There's a difference between shock scares and creepy atmosphere. I hate the former but appreciate the latter. Dead Space had both, off and on.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
So I reinstalled the game for a new atmospheric experience. I always defended this game...

... but this time I got annoyed right at the start. The commander and the girl stand around while I have to fix the tram. After it's done they immediately drive away with the tram. What the fuck is that? They just drive away and can't wait a fucking minute for me to join them? What's this kind of commander who's biggest priority is to keep the team alive? Everywhere is blood, meat, dead bodies, monsters and he can't wait a fucking minute for me to close up? A soldier was killed in the same room, I fixed the power station risking my life and yet he wants to split up? How stupid is that? While I'm only a fucking engineer which should be protected - and not a soldier. And he can't wait a fucking minute? You must be kidding. That's so retarded, whoever designed this shit deserves a punch in the face.

Then the horror I forgot since last time: the controls are the biggest clunky piece of shit ever. Words fail me to describe these trash controls... So you want to turnaround? Oh there is a wall - and when looking at walls you turnaround at triple speed. Awesome fuckaround... how did I aim the last time I played? I don't know. Got annoyed so much that I ragequit and uninstalled the game and origin.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The controls are a piece of shit, even with VSync disabled - and yes, I noticed the difference, but they don't change the clunky 3rd person character behaviour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom