Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That goes for everything from enemies to loot to character abilities.
Are you saying that infinite upgrades to character abilities discourages the player from trying to collect as many as possible?
It certainly doesn't encourage him in the same way that "You only get five chances to improve your character" would. I certainly found myself not caring about skill points by the end of Dead State.

Saduj

Arcane
I agree with Gozma re: clearing the map of zombies first being the best way to handle them from a tactical standpoint. Even on maps that also had human enemies, I usually cleared whatever zombies I could before engaging the humans. There were a couple of exceptions early in the game where I was a little outgunned and throwing a noisemaker at the back of unsuspecting enemies helped out. Not that the zombies did much damage but they would soak up enemy bullets.

The only time I found it truly necessary to use a noisemaker was

The Coyote base. I thought taking the back door through the house was tactically stupid because the hallways act as a choke point so I wanted to go through the gate. Throwing a grenade at their gate seemed to do no damage. So the only way to get through the gate was to bash it in melee. If you just walk up the gate and start bashing, you will end up surrounded with Coyotes in front of you and zombies at your back. So throwing a noisemaker just over the gate worked well in turning the zombies against the Coyotes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Doom Nightmare zombies would be bullshit. Why can't I dismember them when they're down? "Because it's a game" Great, I'm not going to play your stupid game then.

ColCol

Arcane
I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm not encountering any neutral a friendly pcs outside the base. So, nothing was more heartbreaking than going to a mall and hearing coyotes with the dialogue script of "come out here piggy". I thought, "hey maybe these are some unique pcs trapped". unfortunately, said piggies were aggressive looters, sigh.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm not encountering any neutral a friendly pcs outside the base. So, nothing was more heartbreaking than going to a mall and hearing coyotes with the dialogue script of "come out here piggy". I thought, "hey maybe these are some unique pcs trapped". unfortunately, said piggies were aggressive looters, sigh.
They're out there, keep looking. Actually you should have found some neutrals almost immediately ... but maybe you broke down their door and suddenly they weren't so neutral any more?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah there are neutral and friendly NPCs out there, plenty also. My shelter is getting kinda crowded :P

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just waiting for my physical copy so I can play this game properly with my map and manual next to me on my desk... :obviously:

... plus by waiting it appears they've "fixed" many of the flaws/complaints and it will be a better experience. :cool:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm just waiting for my physical copy so I can play this game properly with my map and manual next to me on my desk... :obviously:

... plus by waiting it appears they've "fixed" many of the flaws/complaints and it will be a better experience. :cool:
Seriously , the only bug I noticed so far a UI glitch in the Shelter which is fixed by restarting the game. And nothing serious just a button get stuck on "pressed" status

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Seriously , the only bug I noticed so far a UI glitch in the Shelter which is fixed by restarting the game. And nothing serious just a button get stuck on "pressed" status

Which one? One of the inventory/shelter storage tabs?
Exactly!! One of the tabs gets stuck occasionally on the "pressed" status and I can't get into it again unless I reload the game completely.
And also yeah if the zombie turns would go faster that'd be nice :P
Other than that cheers, really nice game

Zombra

Patron
Yeah, I remember having the same problem. Like flipping between the weapons tab and the medical tab or something, the buttons would sometimes get "stuck" and I couldn't press them again.

Morkar Left

Where does all the coffee go that I bring back?

That's exactly my problem in real life...

Coffee is a special good that's in the shelter storage. You have to put it in the inventory of your char and give it to the proper person who wants it for a moral boost.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Where does all the coffee go that I bring back?

That's exactly my problem in real life...

Coffee is a special good that's in the shelter storage. You have to put it in the inventory of your char and give it to the proper person who wants it for a moral boost.
Depends actually. The whole grain coffee beans are unique items indeed, but you also gather packs of coffee etc which just count as luxury items.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
How the fuck do I craft weapons? I've the workshop and created a couple of blueprints too. But where do I actually craft weapons?? Am I blind?? :obviously:

*Yes I was blind. You have to have the item in the shelter storage so that you can actually do the upgrade. Pfft.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
How deep is crafting system for weapons and other important stuff ? is it WL2 like where you can add some Mods or more like Underrail where you got immense crafting system for almost everything that is in game ?
I am kinda craftfag in cRPGS lol

Zombra

Patron
How deep is crafting system for weapons and other important stuff ?
It's not super deep, just some simple upgrades. Hunting Shotgun + 10 scrap + 12 man-hours* = SWAT Shotgun. Leather Armor + 15 scrap + 18 man-hours* = Reinforced Leather Armor.

*Numbers made up for illustrative purposes. Actual requirements may vary.

SniperHF

Arcane
I am kinda craftfag in cRPGS lol

So it's your fault then
:shunthenonbeliever:

How deep is crafting system for weapons and other important stuff ? is it WL2 like where you can add some Mods or more like Underrail where you got immense crafting system for almost everything that is in game ?

I haven't played Underrail yet so I can't compare there. In Dead State you can craft enhanced versions of most weapons and some armors. Most of those types of crafting are like Shotgun>Sawed off shotgun, or Handgun > Silenced Handgun. Some of the enhanced weapons are pretty nice like the Swat shotgun and laser sighted MS4. Also you can craft fairly useful consumable items that consume resources when created. Usually the generic "parts" or sometimes even fuel. Crafting ammo is also possible but I don't recall it being all that useful. Maybe in the latest version its better.

You also need to construct the required shelter upgrades in order to craft most items. Both making the upgrades and making the items can require special items.

You have to assign a character with the required skill to the task of crafting an item and it takes more or less time depending on how much skill you have.

Personally I wouldn't consider WL2s weapon mod system really crafting. Dead State has an actual crafting system but is uneven in its usefulness.

Atchodas

Augur
Sounds pretty damn good for me ,
Might just pick up this next instead of Serpents , kinda waited half year to play this already
What would be decent AR combatant build ( i always play AR combatants in these cRPGS where you can shoot like Shadowruns , Wasteland , Underrail :D ) ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The cracks in the reactivity showed up pretty early. Guy says that we're low on antibiotics for this sick guy and that I need to go to this specific pharmacy to get some; my character responds as if I've never been there. I pull up the map and get momentarily confused at the lack of a new icon, then I mouse-over and see that I was just there the other day. Go back to the task-giver and I get a "Hey, I have enough antibiotics" dialogue option even though we have just as many as we did when we had the conversation earlier that morning.

I know, small team and all, but my immersion. It feels like maybe they expected most players would only go to the places they're specifically told to and maybe anything they meet in-between and then hopping straight to bed the first couple of days, which is understandable, but that's a waste of good daylight as far as I'm concerned.

With weak writing and limited C&C this feels less and less like a "zombie game about people" and more like a looting and base management simulator.

Gozma

Arcane
On the crafting thing: There are a branch of "science" recipes (homemade ammo, grenades, antibiotics) you need a science lab built to make. There aren't any followers that can build it early because you need a bit of both mechanics and science to make it and no one hits the thresholds out of the box. It ends up being one of the few transparent gamey/balancey things in the game since you gotta invest the points in the main character to get the science lab up quickly. And the first NPC that will be able to build it as he/she levels up and gains skills has a balancey element too.

My final review is that I can't finish but the game has a lot of good content stuff like "environmental storytelling" and a really cool base strategic model that gives time meaning, gives the stronghold and relationships meaning, etc. It has problems at the very base of the design like I said before (I've found out that Reanimated was designed to make zombie stuff "harder", but it's completely ineffective), and the content pacing/scope is a mess where finishing the game is just impossible. I also historically shat on the game's drawn art but the artist figured it out by release and it looks fine, and the maps look like real Texas exurb/rural shitholes and the shelter looks great. If they said they were gonna start over making the same kind of game using what they'd learned I'd be very interested.

Gozma

Arcane
You can have gone pretty much everywhere interesting, built everything, made the shelter mostly self-sufficient, killed all the humans you care to, and gotten utterly sick of searching drawers and hauling loot by like day 25, which is not even the halfway point. They should have given you some proactive stuff to do that makes the game end when you've done the shit that's worth doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom