Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

A horse of course

Was recommened this game a year or so back but never got around to picking it up. It sounded p. good. An open-world psychological-horror? Crossed with a detective/adventure game? Crossed with survival horror? Like Alan Wake was supposed to be before it was "streamlined"? Inspired by Twin Peaks? Give me a moment whilst *FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP* Okay, so I hear the production values are a little low and the controls a little dated, but how bad could it be?

Pretty fucking bad. Graphics look like they're out of an upscaled PS2 port, which is still better than the hideous UE3 shit clogging up the 360. It's "inspired" by Twin Peaks in the sense it lifts entire scenes and characters pretty much ad verbatim. Music tracks with engrish-driven vocals and minor translation errors abound, as you'd expect from a Japanese game. None of these really matter - I was expecting as much. But the gameplay is so unrelentingly medieval I don't see how I can continue. When one says that the controls are "dated", what they really mean is that the developers havn't taken a single goddamn lesson from third-person games over the course of the past decade. They're clumsy and frustrating, the inventory/menu is counter-intuitive, and the protagonist holsters his weapon every five seconds unless you periodically switch to aiming mode. Even text and environmental interaction are handled like ye olde PS1 survival horror. Of the hour I played, 90% of it consisted of plodding along a series of corridors dirt paths and gunning down dozens of zombies ghosts infected whogivesashit with the handgun. Which has infinite ammo by default. The other 5% was stumbling across switches for gates and the red key a fuse box to activate a broken switch, and the final 5% cutscenes. After the tedium of killing something like two dozen zombies, I found a couple of black pools which continuously respawn enemies and cannot be destroyed. So I ran past them...straight into a quicktime event. "PRESS X NOT TO DIE" I press X, and get grabbed by a monstah, so I guess I was too slow? "WIGGLE YOUR ANALOG STICK FROM LEFT TO RIGHT SO AS NOT TO DIE" I wiggle the analog stick. Then I die.

:x

That's right - the only innovations the developers have taken to heart are shitty quicktime events situated in the most frustrating places possible. I'm respawned right back at the start of the area, at which point I'm immediately attacked by zombies, who glitch out and disappear, causing the game (but not the 360 itself) to freeze up and screech audio distortions at me. Eventually I exit to the dashboard, load up the game...and find myself at the save point 20 minutes back from the quicktime event. Yeah, no. Check google, apparently once I get past this bit I start the "real" game. Then I check the reviews, which claim that these banal shit boring linear combat sequences take up most of the game. I shake my head with regret and turn off the power button. Even as a bit of a storyfag, I just can't justify forcing myself through such offensively backward gameplay.

It's like the developers suffer from the opposite problem to popamole kwans - they stubbornly refuse to progress in the field of game design regardless of how arbitrary the mechanics and how many other games have replaced them with superior alternatives since they were first introduced. Like Catherine (an overhyped generic puzzle/platformer with interesting art direction and a suprisingly mature and sophisticated story), DP is one of those games that's couragerous and daring in certain areas, but inexplicably remains shackled to the same mechanics that have been driving the genre since inception.

tl;dr I suck at a game and try to disguise my failures via incoherent theories of design

inb4 thread sucks, OP is a faggot

grotsnik

Arcane
I think I'm right in saying the developer didn't even want combat in the game - it was shoehorned cheaply and awkwardly in to make the thing more marketable (and maybe less obviously like Twin Peaks). He wanted to include rideable bicycles instead.

It sounds like whoever recommended it to you didn't do a good enough job of explaining the real nature of the game to you; the shooting/driving/QTE gameplay isn't just 'dated', it's awful and notoriously so - you really do have to be masochistic enough and charmed enough by the weirdness of the whole experience to be able to get through it all.

Definitely worth following an LP if you can't stomach playing it any more, though. If for nothing else, for the genuinely clever way it deals with the relationship between player and avatar without breaking the fourth wall via Zach/York.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOUR PROBLEM WAS EXPECTATIONS ALMOST EVERY REVIEW POINTED OUT ALL THIS SHIT

I THINK THE WHOLE POINT IS THE WEIRDNESS AND FUN OF THE EXPERIEN CE

sser

Arcane
Developer
I enjoyed Deadly Premonition when the story got moving, but the plodding sections where you just drive around for too long was too much for me. Didn't mind the mechanics of the game but I'm keen to shit controls and cheap games anyway.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO ANYWAYS I THINK IT WAS A BUGCET GAME TOO LIKE 20 DOLLARS NEW

I HAVE IT BUT HAVENT TRIED IT YET

Angthoron

Arcane
grotsnik said:
I think I'm right in saying the developer didn't even want combat in the game - it was shoehorned cheaply and awkwardly in to make the thing more marketable (and maybe less obviously like Twin Peaks). He wanted to include rideable bicycles instead.

It sounds like whoever recommended it to you didn't do a good enough job of explaining the real nature of the game to you; the shooting/driving/QTE gameplay isn't just 'dated', it's awful and notoriously so - you really do have to be masochistic enough and charmed enough by the weirdness of the whole experience to be able to get through it all.

Definitely worth following an LP if you can't stomach playing it any more, though. If for nothing else, for the genuinely clever way it deals with the relationship between player and avatar without breaking the fourth wall via Zach/York.

This man is pretty much spot-on here.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
do what i did and get somebody else to play it while you can watch and yell at them to do this and that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I DONT DOUBT THE GAMEPLAY IS SHIT BY THE EXPERIENCE I MEANT THE STORY OF THE GAME AND THE MOOD ETC

YOUVE GOT TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES IN THE REVIEWS BUT MOST I READ SAID IT CONTROLLED BAD AND HAD PS2 QUALITY GRAPHICS AND THE COMBAT WAS BORING AND LAME EVEN THE BROS THAT LIKED THE GAME

Angthoron

Arcane
Ed123 said:
BLOBERT said:
BRO YOUR PROBLEM WAS EXPECTATIONS ALMOST EVERY REVIEW POINTED OUT ALL THIS SHIT

Reviews were totally mixed - many said the controls were just "old-skool" or "dated" and the combat "ponderous" or "stiff". I expected the combat to be slightly boring, at worst.

I THINK THE WHOLE POINT IS THE WEIRDNESS AND FUN OF THE EXPERIEN CE

Shitty controls and bad gameplay enrich a game. :lol: That's like saying unpatched STALKER crashing all the time was a deliberate attempt to mimic the effects of anomalies, thus contributing to the atmosphere.

imma take a look at that LP you guys recommended.

Or maybe just watch Twin Peaks again :M

Yeah, watch the LP. It's good, the presenter is doing a good job in it, and doesn't sound like shit, which was part of the reason I actually watched the whole thing. The combat sections are rather entertaining too, and the guy gives some pointers on how to make them suck significantly less should you decide to play the game yourself in the end.

Now, I wouldn't likely play this game myself, but I've seriously considered actually buying the box to support the dev in his future work. Hope that the publisher stays the fuck away next time though, the game would be SO much better if not for combat.

Ed123 said:
Graphics look like they're out of an upscaled PS2 port
Bitch.
Music tracks with engrish-driven vocals and minor translation errors abound, as you'd expect from a Japanese game.
Bitch.
But the gameplay is so unrelentingly medieval I don't see how I can continue. When one says that the controls are "dated", what they really mean is that the developers havn't taken a single goddamn lesson from third-person games over the course of the past decade. They're clumsy and frustrating, the inventory/menu is counter-intuitive, and the protagonist holsters his weapon every five seconds unless you periodically switch to aiming mode.
Only started gaming in the past five years eh? Get over it, bitch.
Even text and environmental interaction are handled like ye olde PS1 survival horror. Of the hour I played, 90% of it consisted of plodding along a series of corridors dirt paths and gunning down dozens of zombies ghosts infected whogivesashit with the handgun. Which has infinite ammo by default. The other 5% was stumbling across switches for gates and the red key a fuse box to activate a broken switch, and the final 5% cutscenes. After the tedium of killing something like two dozen zombies, I found a couple of black pools which continuously respawn enemies and cannot be destroyed. So I ran past them...straight into a quicktime event. "PRESS X NOT TO DIE" I press X, and get grabbed by a monstah, so I guess I was too slow? "WIGGLE YOUR ANALOG STICK FROM LEFT TO RIGHT SO AS NOT TO DIE" I wiggle the analog stick. Then I die.
NO-ONE HAS EVER SAID THE GAMEPLAY WAS GOOD, BITCH.
DP is one of those games that's couragerous and daring in certain areas, but inexplicably remains shackled to the same mechanics that have been driving the genre since inception.
That's the beauty of it, I bet you hate Bloodlines too, right bitch?

Also, the Giantbomb LPs are worth a watch too. The 'Green' one is more melancholic and upset that they have to play the game and the 'Yellow' more vocal and pissed off at the game.

A shame Spoony never finished his LP of it.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/05/26/ ... episode-1/

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The only game I enjoyed more than Deadly Premonition in 2010 was New Vegas. (I haven't played Amnesia yet, to be fair).

Yeah. Deadly Premonition > Red Dead Redemption, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 2, and some other dumb shit I suffered through.

I would even go as far as to say that I'd trade my Rance avatar for an Agent York one if it was possible.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Steam version is available in a couple of hours. If anyone has tried it post comments. Hoping that the port isn't terrible.

Bruticis

Best launcher ever too!
0di7iEM.png

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I am convinced that Deadly Premonition is a case of intentional ironic bad, like what you find in specopstheline and such, because retards confuse that with "charm." There is no reason not to just watch Twin Peaks instead, as DP blatantly rips it off in so many ways. Twin Peaks is in many iconic ways the same thing, except designed by geniuses instead of fags.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Durante to the rescue!

Again...

Also - nude patch for that blonde officer inbound.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
If someone wants to get it cheaper, send me a message.
define "cheaper"
About 50% off instead of 10% (Oh, and it haz cards!)
usd? if so, could i take you up on that offer next month?
I'm in the EU store. I think it would be around $14 or $15. I don't mind waiting, if no one else suddenly appears!! :o:o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom