Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

Malpercio

Arcane
I feel bad for posting this, but in the end, I gave up on the game.

Which makes me so MAD at myself. I want to play you DP, but fuck, you are such a chore! I mean, I love this game, it was developed with heart and it has so many interesting things. Idealistically, it's my dream game... but damn, the gameplay is simply not fun. I wanted to play it, but more I did, more I realized that I wasn't having fun with this gameplay. (and yet, I wanted to play it more because it's so charming... if I'm making any sense)

In the end, I youtube'd the story but damn... I really hope one day I'll be able to give it another chance and appreciate the full thing.

Malpercio

Arcane
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/deadlypremonition/deadlypremonition3.htm

Reading this interview, Sweary seems quite a bro.

You said in the Game Developer article that you cried at one point during the development stage - why was that?

Well, there was a time during the development stage where things really weren't going well. The team members were having conflicting feelings about how to proceed. They were meeting together to talk it out and decide what to do and I just got overwhelmed and my feelings came out because I cared so much.

:(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

So after obtaining a PS3 I decided to buy Deadly Premonition DC since I found it on a sale and since it seemed the PC port was utter shit.

Lo and behold ! It seems the PS3 port is also shit since it has crappy framerate, occasional stutter, various glitches and at least one possible game-breaking bug.

So I've been thinking of trying the PC version since durante has created a fix that improves a lot of things, but I'm not sure about the controller support. Since the M&K control in this game is also deemed crap, but I also see that controller support was originally unsupported and afterwards semi-supported with a patch ? Has anyone here actually played this damn game in PC ? My question is can you play this damn game with a dualshock (no xbox) controller in PC ?

Whisky , Malpercio , Morgoth

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I decided to stick with the PS3 version. After the first chapter the framerate somewhat gets better and it's pretty stable. It seems the PC version is prone to many crashes and bugs even after the patches and fixes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
And my deadly premonition adventures continue.

Let me tell you about DP.

DP doesn't just have shitty pre-PS2 era graphics, DP doesn't just have some of the ugliest textures available. DP has the shittiest, most insulting and sloppy bloom effect, which combined with the seizure-inducing shimmering and the most crappy and badly implemented DOP effect you've ever seen... simply makes YOUR EYES BLEED.

Uh3FQkC.gif

I bought the PS3 version because I thought: "hey it will be stable", unlike the PC version. Little did I know about the visual onslaught I was going to be subjected to. Not only that, but the PS3 version suffers from bad framerate and sound stutter and has scenery magically popping up 3 meters in-front of you. Despite all this crap I really liked the game. It has great writing and brilliantly cheesy/silly/creepy atmosphere. It really is a twin peaks-like game and it brings so many things I always wanted to see. It's basically an open world adventure game with some survival horror elements. And this is why I tolerated the craptacular visuals for quite some time, but at some point I couldn't take this anymore and decided to check the PC version.

As I already mentioned, the PC port --out of the box-- is a steaming pile of shit. The same crappy 720p-locked graphics and a tendency to crash every 10 minutes, IF you even get it started. After an official patch (PS3 never got one), Durante's awesome graphical fixes and some texture replacements, the visuals became OK. Thank god that the hellish combination of DOP+Bloom+shimmering got fixed. The Japanese programmers that worked in this game need to commit seppuku. Not only were they unable to bring this game to PS2, due to "memory problems" (lol GTA and its clones have been around for decades) but after working on this shit for 5+ years to release the initial version and then another year to make the "enhanced" director's cut version, they couldn't release a marginally technically-decent product. What a bunch of cretins.

Also I'm happy to announce that I finally managed to play this game with my gamepad. I'm using an old PSX gamepad connected via URB (generic dualshock) and it wasn't properly working even after the patch that enabled gamepad support (lol support that uses an old protocol which glitches when pressing more than 2 buttons simultaneously, or when pressing both r1 and l1 switches. ---fucking imbecile jap programmers x2). Anyway, the solution lies with JoyToKey. I finally realized that with the settings shown below you can emulate a dualshock gamepad perfectly :

v03fYTF.jpg

Now, there was only one problem. In certain --thankfully few-- situations the game implements some really derpy QTEs. And in those moments you need to have the correct gamepad icons shown and not K&M ones, because you'll never complete them (believe me these QTEs are bad). Thus, I also created a new texture that overrides the icons for keyboard and mouse so that the default keyboard bindings are replaced with PS buttons. For anyone that wants it you can find it here : http://i.imgur.com/cdfYjDj.png (rename it to "96cad142.png" and put it into DPfix' override folder)

That's it ! The game now actually looks ok-ish and seems somewhat stable, I'm off to roam in the streets of Twin Peaks I mean Greenvale! (Until I'm buttfucked by some BSOD or something)

tumblr_llwt2voX8h1qh3or2.gif

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fallout?
PST?
:hmmm:

lol yeah, I bound the quick-keys to the gamepad and also used the mouse so I can lay back on my chair, feet on the desk, gamepad on right hand, mouse on left hand... and leisurely play. Keyboard on legs just isn't comfy and I like using quick-keys

:kingcomrade:.

I am convinced that Deadly Premonition is a case of intentional ironic bad, like what you find in specopstheline and such, because retards confuse that with "charm." There is no reason not to just watch Twin Peaks instead, as DP blatantly rips it off in so many ways. Twin Peaks is in many iconic ways the same thing, except designed by geniuses instead of fags.

Someone got their Pulp Fiction mixed in with their Lynch. :/

Max Stats

Liturgist
"DONNNNNNN WAANNNNNNNNNNNNN to DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Then stop attacking the on person in this town with the fire power to put you all down!

Falksi

Arcane
Forgot all about this little gem. Fairly bad game, but a downright wonderful experience. The atmosphere & story definitely carry the sometimes game breakingly bad combat. But even though it reaches some real lows at times, fortunately those lows don't occur too often. And there's far more highs to make up for them too in the meantime. An underrated gem for sure.

IPFreely

Educated
A masterpiece underappreciated by retards who can't learn how to play a 3rd person action game.\

Thread sucks, OP is a faggot.

Modron

Arcane
A masterpiece underappreciated by retards who can't learn how to play a 3rd person action game.\

Hard to really appreciate this game since it was left in such crappy condition on the pc, said it before but I am just going to wait until emulation catches up with it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's be fair, the game is terrible.
The style, the character, the absurdity of it all, the "inept on purpose" use of volume/music, the Twin Peaks homages/rip-offs, the bizarre dialogue & discussions about 80's movies make it an unforgettable experience regardless.

If you are gonna play it, get a patch that removes all the combat.

But you're better off watching an LP. No, really.

IPFreely

Educated

Hard to really appreciate this game since it was left in such crappy condition on the pc, said it before but I am just going to wait until emulation catches up with it.

I played on PS3 with very few issues

schru

Arcane
Booting the system with just one CPU core seemed to solve all the problems in my case.

What a game.

schru

Arcane
That did not have the same effect for me. I suspect that having everything external to the game that it relies on run on the same core helps it somehow, given how poor a port it is.

Modron

Arcane
Honestly probably better off waiting for emulation to catch up than playing this port sadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom