Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devilian VS ELOA VS ToS VS PoEx Vs Drakensang

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Okay, I can't get into Path of Exile. I know people think the no currency/use scrolls and shit as currency is group breaking but it is stupid. Also, only being able to fit barely anything into your inventory may be fun for some weird people, but I doubt other people love this "feature." This game does seem to have good character development. The weird currency and lack of ability to fit anything into your inventory are deal breakers for me.

Tree of Savior - It seems like you are not able to play as an adult character and are forced to play as a small child, which only small children, people with the brain's of a small child, or pedophiles would like. This is a deal breaker for me. Plus no crafting, and there seems to be more levels to grind out than you can shake a stick at. It also does not look to have a very choice heavy chardev.

Drakensang Online - no non-class loot drops. No trading. No Auction house. Pretty decent besides the big pay to win system.

Elite Lords of Alliance - has everything including crafting, but if you want to play as an adult character you are restricted in classes. Has AH, the full shebang. But, it seems like combat revolves around rotating through the three equipable weapon types of a given class and chardev is hard to figure out if it is decent or lite from the little time I put into it. I dislike the rotating weapons shit.

Devilian - Has everything besides crafting (has very limited crafting). I think there are gender locks but the classes I was interested in all had adult character options. Chardev seems meaty enough where there aren't all no brain picks and builds but some interesting choices and ways to go. Has the full shebang besides real crafting.

Devilian seems like the clear winner with ELOA as a runner up due to the weapon cycling nonsense. I like the graphic style of Tree of Savior and ELOA minus the pedophile shit. What the fuck do orientals have against adults? Do only small children in Asia play mmorpgs or is there some taboo about playing as an adult character in games? Like only kids can go around adventuring and adults should be working? If so, why make little girls all sexual? It is weird and disgusting. I like orientals but I hate pedophiles and I have this suspicion that orientals are A-Okay with child fucking. If so, I kind of don't want to know because I really want to visit some Oriental countries, but cannot support cultural tolerance of child rape.

Aothan

Magister
Chaos (Alteration etc) orbs are basically currency, in addition to whatever items might be found, all in all it works well enough - until I need Chaos orbs and only have 100 Alteration orbs. Sure the inventory is constricted but it is more inventory management that becomes the issue than being able to pick up items. Although some of us feel compelled to check every barrel, open all chests, see what that small corner of the unexplored map (at the other end of the map) might still have, otherwise the game is specifically designed to not pick up or check absolutely everything, it is almost always more effective to continue progressing as it were

isn't Devilian a MMO ? I think I saw this game on Steam a few months ago, if Aion is still populated that remains the game I would recommend, but it has since moved well beyond the early days of the first year or so where everyone had blue items, was still looking for Stigma skills and all else, now a player would have to grind for an indefinite period to obtain the items and materials necessary to play in the end parts of the game

I might actually try to have look at a few of the other listings to see what they are like

Roqua

Prospernaut
Chaos (Alteration etc) orbs are basically currency, in addition to whatever items might be found, all in all it works well enough - until I need Chaos orbs and only have 100 Alteration orbs. Sure the inventory is constricted but it is more inventory management that becomes the issue than being able to pick up items. Although some of us feel compelled to check every barrel, open all chests, see what that small corner of the unexplored map (at the other end of the map) might still have, otherwise the game is specifically designed to not pick up or check absolutely everything, it is almost always more effective to continue progressing as it were

isn't Devilian a MMO ? I think I saw this game on Steam a few months ago, if Aion is still populated that remains the game I would recommend, but it has since moved well beyond the early days of the first year or so where everyone had blue items, was still looking for Stigma skills and all else, now a player would have to grind for an indefinite period to obtain the items and materials necessary to play in the end parts of the game

I might actually try to have look at a few of the other listings to see what they are like

All of them are arpg mmos (or mmoaprgs). I know PoE uses other shit for a currency but I see no reason to not use a real currency. Using other things in lieue of a currency, that can be converted into other things, and those things have a functional use besides currency, doesn't make sense/ If it is a barter society then I could use anything for a currency, if it isn't then there would be a currency.

I usually only play the early game to cap in most mmos. Old WoW and Wildstar are the only games I ever put some end game time into, and that was for the arena on both. When I did an instance or raid in either it was to get a specific piece of gear that I would use in the arena. In DDO when I hit cap I reincarnate. Other than that, my fun in mmos is the journey to end game.

Aothan

Magister
the orb and item based currency has some interesting features, it is dynamic in response to player progress and also allows for novelty (this is not a euphemism, although others would regard the same as a means for exploiting others) when estimating values between items and so on. I've enjoyed the flexibility which this design can accommodate at times

yes, I probably should have meant to say 'end game' as in open area pvp, not end game instances which are not my interest - but the stringency on having the best possible items and then item combinations and sets has always been excessive in Aion and it is doubtful this ever really changed. So that leads to players having to grind quite a bit if they intend to play in the end game areas where everyone else will usually have equally good itemisation

Roqua

Prospernaut
the orb and item based currency has some interesting features, it is dynamic in response to player progress and also allows for novelty (this is not a euphemism, although others would regard the same as a means for exploiting others) when estimating values between items and so on. I've enjoyed the flexibility which this design can accommodate at times

yes, I probably should have meant to say 'end game' as in open area pvp, not end game instances which are not my interest - but the stringency on having the best possible items and then item combinations and sets has always been excessive in Aion and it is doubtful this ever really changed. So that leads to players having to grind quite a bit if they intend to play in the end game areas where everyone else will usually have equally good itemisation

By Aion you mean PoE, right? Aion didn't have much/any character development system when I played. Is it different now? Can I make weird builds or are your hands-tied still? If you like PoE you should like Devilion. Tree of Savior is the big to-do one of them, but also seems the most child oriented.

Aothan

Magister
by Aion I mean this mmo:

http://na.aiononline.com/en/

which is free now, but it has limited, or used to have, limited character customisation - unless one tried different skill and equipment combinations from what was deemed useful. Now there are so many new features it is possible this variability has improved. Well all in all, if the game is actually free now, it could be worth playing for a time to see if it suits your interests

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom