Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Direct Download or Boxed Edition. Which would you buy?

Which would you pay for?

• Direct Download

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxed Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
"$25 direct download, $50 for a box (proper full color box, full color manual with concept art , jewel case CD) plus shipping." - (June 24, 2007) (Ref)

Assume for a moment that nothing changes with the above, and in a few months or years from now a demo is released a week before the release date. You play the demo and enjoy it, deciding to purchase Age of Decadence. Would you pay more for the boxed edition, or go for the direct download instead, and why?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
If I had the money I would buy the Boxed edition, but I would like to be able to download it before the box arrives, which would take some time to reach where I live.

Nedrah

Erudite
Definitely download.
I just tend to lose cds and boxes anyways over time - it's all about the bits and bytes.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I'd buy the Boxed Edition even if the manual is a bunch of A5 Paper stabled together in a nicely coloured shoe box just to support ITS. :wink:

obediah

Erudite
Download, but only if it isn't some sort of phone-home crippleware.

If it kicks ass, I'd pay the extra $25 to get the box and manual just for funsies.

Nedrah

Erudite
I think that homephoning or crap like that can pretty much be ruled out - but of course that would be a reason to actually not get it at all, or at very least in a "fixed" version.

Morbus

Scholar
Of course I will go for the boxed version. I'll have no other way.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Would it be possible to ship to Ukraine? And if I don't have any credit card, paypal etc. how could I pay?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
I'd wait for the boxed version's price to drop to 25$.
So basically, direct download.

spacemoose

Erudite
inwoker said:
Would it be possible to ship to Ukraine? And if I don't have any credit card, paypal etc. how could I pay?

ship an amount of salo of equal or greater value (by current exchange rates) to the iron tower offices. I'm sure they will be more than happy to barter

WalterKinde

Scholar
If there isn't any crazy drm scheme then i would purchase the digital download provided i could burn to a regular disc and not have it sitting on the harddrive.
Boxed edition is for when its a collector's edition with extra stuff like an actual printed manual and it is in an official looking cd/dvd case and not just a big hollow box with a cd/dvd in a paper sleave with several layers of cardboard between you and it.

Highlander

Novice
Boxed. I could never trust a game that I have paid for to my hard drive, and I always lose burned CDs.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Spacemoose said:
inwoker said:

ship an amount of salo of equal or greater value (by current exchange rates) to the iron tower offices. I'm sure they will be more than happy to barter

so VD, what amount of salo do I need to prepare?

aries202

Erudite
I would always only opt for the boxed version. That way youy have a boxed version if the game developer goes down. I would consider buying a game that's on Steam, though, as Steam seems to a good stable site. But then again, one can newer know how things look in say 20 or so years time.

For NWN, Gothic 3, and Dreamfall, I got the Limited or Collector's Edition. I nearly always buy these as I think the content in them makes it well woth the money :) I pay for them :)

Deleted member 7219

Highlander said:
Boxed. I could never trust a game that I have paid for to my hard drive, and I always lose burned CDs.

Uh... on Steam you can download your game as much as you want, its not a one-time only download.

Gwendo

Augur
Since I would have to pay about 20-50$ in customs, besides international shipping, I would buy the Direct Download version.

BTW, the downloadable version will come with manual too (in PDF)?

Mamon

Scholar
Boxed because I have no other way and I like boxes. Boxes for the win.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Wow VD, looks like you practically sold almost thirty units already. Awesome, huh?
OH THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESSS!!!

inwoker said:
We'll work something out. If someone wants to play AoD, I'll make sure that he/she can.

Spacemoose said:
inwoker said:

Sold! Mmm... ukrainian salo...

obediah said:
Download, but only if it isn't some sort of phone-home crippleware.

If it kicks ass, I'd pay the extra $25 to get the box and manual just for funsies.
No, no phone-home crippleware or other crap.

WalterKinde said:
If there isn't any crazy drm scheme then i would purchase the digital download provided i could burn to a regular disc and not have it sitting on the harddrive.
Boxed edition is for when its a collector's edition with extra stuff like an actual printed manual and it is in an official looking cd/dvd case and not just a big hollow box with a cd/dvd in a paper sleave with several layers of cardboard between you and it.
The boxed edition *is* an equivalent of a collector's edition: professionally done box, detailed full color manual, map, nice case. I think it was discussed here.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 39&start=0

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I'd probably buy the box edition because I can't download worth shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom