Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Athelas

Arcane
5. In terms of narrative delivery, I would strongly suggest you look at some of the things Obsidian has been doing with Pillars of Eternity. Specifically, the short "skits" that are basically illustrated interactive dialogs--they're a very immersive, low-budget way to invest players more into the characters, story and world.
This is a terrible idea. Not only would they likely clash with the 3d aesthetic of the game, but D:OS has enough mechanics that let you interact with the environment freely that this sort of scripted thing isn't necessary.

Though they could look at Obsidian for writing that isn't shit.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, what they need to build on is emergent interactivity, expanding it into full(er)-fledged world interactivity, not on Obsidian's scripted design.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Really shameful and disgusting stuff. Judging from these videos, this game still has more bugs than Wasteland 2 had at launch.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

That weapon is clearly overpowered
EoCApp%202015-01-11%2011-40-39-83.jpg

SniperHF

Arcane
Scaling.
Though 653 gold is pretty much fuck all once you are around level 9.

I preferred the original D:OS alpha system of skill requirements over level/attribute with AP penalties. Oh well.

RK47

Patron
Crossbow is kinda fun too once you hoard those special arrows to spam with,.
Goddamn, I'm addicted to crafting.

Coffee break at work talk:
I found out that the special arrows damage are based on your ranged weapon damage range % - eg: Slowing Arrow is 50% of Bow / Crossbow. If Bow does 50-60 - the Slow Aarrow will deal 25-30 when fired. The good part is if you fire off an elemental arrow like Poison/Exploding, they deal elemental damage and bypass armor but still subject to resistance on top of the chance to apply the debuff (burn/stun etc)

What does this mean?
This means you're getting less mileage from Bows since they deal less damage per shot. On regular shots, bow is able to fire at 4 AP compared to Crossbow's 6. HOWEVER, this rule does not apply to special arrows! Meaning firing a special arrow with a bow will still cost you 6 AP ..and what's more it deals LESS damage compared to a Crossbow!

I'm pretty pissed, considering a mage casting a frostbolt practically fires off a freezing arrow at infinite quantity, and we're doing less damage with a bow! So I switched back to Crossbow and enjoyed the 0 miss chance shots with special arrows.

What's more, some recipe is near infinite in terms of crafting cost:
Poison Arrow
Take a poison barrel + flask = Poison Flask
Poison Flask + Arrow Head = Poison Arrowhead
Poison Arrowhead + Shaft = Poison Arrow.

Combo that with a fire spell or fire arrow and blow shit up every turn.
There's even a Blinding Arrow when you craft a Perception Debuff Potion (Eyeball + Poison flask) and combo it with arrowhead. So yeah, that might be why going Ranger is actually trading off pure damage for versatility. Though I still find it useful to put a point in Earth for Midnight Oil and Spider Conjure.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The only problem I had with the game is that as an RPG, I found myself often disconnected from the game world due to the sheer amount of silliness and childish humor. I think the humor in the game could have been more sophisticated. And maybe the Art style could have been slightly more mature. The Original Divinity's art leaned itself more toward realism even though it was pixel art. This is just personal taste however.

We get this type of criticism a lot and are trying to walk on the right side of the very fine line that is humor in games. However, we won't remove it as it's something that the majority of our players actually like. People actually do like to have fun from time to time and there's sufficient other RPGs out there that take themselves very seriously. That said, we know there's a lot of room for improvement and it's being worked on.

They have been working on it for the last 12 years with little to no improvement...

Athelas

Arcane
However, we won't remove it as it's something that the majority of our players actually like. People actually do like to have fun from time to time and there's sufficient other RPGs out there that take themselves very seriously.
As expected, the strawman of 'there are plenty of serious RPG's, why can't there be one filled with humor'. When the problem is that said humor isn't very funny.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As expected, the strawman of 'there are plenty of serious RPG's, why can't there be one filled with humor'. When the problem is that said humor isn't very funny.

Maybe the majority of his players disagree with that too.

Athelas

Arcane
Maybe the majority of his players disagree with that too.
Sure, but the answer doesn't mention that. The inquiry was: 'I think the humor in the game could have been more sophisticated.' The reply was that there are plenty of serious RPG's out there which is the answer to a question that was never asked.

I'm probably overreacting (I don't want to make it sound like I think Sven is deliberately dodging the question or something).

RK47

Patron
Alright, done with Cyseal. Time to stop playing since it gets worse after Cyseal (tm) :lol:

RK47

Patron
....leaving for work now at 8.30 am.
i intend to play for just 15 mins tops...but crafting takes a long time yes?
all those flask, arrow heads...etc. Can't wait to get home and get it done.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If some of you guys who participated in the beta / read the Larian forums during the beta have the time, could you possibly reply to this for me ?

SniperHF

Arcane
How does everyone feel about the way the dialog trees were structured? Many of the paths had separate nodes where you would ask about a subject then you would have to say "lets talk about something else" to switch back to the main tree. It seemed more frequent in DivOS than other RPGs.

Anyone else have that take away? Was it a problem? Not a problem? Minor annoyance?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom