Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 5 Announced

mondblut

Arcane
Wait, they actually enabled multi-turn movement?

Now I only need a proper AI diplomacy, and they can milk me with content DLCs from now on till the rest of eternity.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They can just make a patch for that.

Shut up and throw more money Illwinter's way. In fact, buy two. Or three.

I did buy a copy.

Didn't have time to take much of a look at it last night, though. Will check it out properly today. Selecting the resolution was about as far as I got, and I'm still not convinced that I picked the right one.

Will prepare to smash everyone as the arcoscephale hellenic empire and create intelligent cubes of jelly.

I expect a sequel to be something substantial, not just a barely perceivable mod/tiny expansion. They can just make a patch for that.

I'd love seeing you "patch" a realtime combat engine into a previously TB game. Mod my ass.

Excuse me I am an excellent programmer with multiple projects under my belt and I swear to god you will wish you kept your mouth shut because I am about to unleash programming hell on you and delete you from the internet. If I ever see you in multiplayer Dom5 I will round up and sacrifice your entire population in a blood ritual so horrendous that you will wish you had never heard the name agesilaus. You could have just passed by my post quietly but now you are going to reap the whirlwind.

mondblut

Arcane
If I ever see you in multiplayer Dom5 I will round up and sacrifice your entire population in a blood ritual so horrendous that you will wish you had never heard the name agesilaus. You could have just passed by my post quietly but now you are going to reap the whirlwind.

Cloud trapeze tickets bitch!

Srsly, Dom5 looks much more different from Dom4 than that one was from 3 and even 2. It's almost like DomPPP-Dom2 transition in scope. Sure, the content is mostly the same, but do you expect them to rewrite 70 factions, 2000 units, 600 items yadda yadda yadda from scratch with every new installment?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Cloud trapeze tickets bitch!

Srsly, Dom5 looks much more different from Dom4 than that one was from 3 and even 2. It's almost like DomPPP-Dom2 transition in scope. Sure, the content is mostly the same, but do you expect them to rewrite 70 factions, 2000 units, 600 items yadda yadda yadda from scratch with every new installment?

Check Dom4mods if you want to see typical * MODDER DRAMA * on the pricing.

Hell people, I am poor and I bought this. I literally live in a basement and eat rats. And I bought it

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's still too expensive for too little change.
Especially after having already bought Dom3 and 4 (and CoE) at full price. Least they could do is give a 50% coupon or sth. to owners of the previous games...

I'm certainly not getting this at full price.

mondblut

Arcane
Check Dom4mods if you want to see typical * MODDER DRAMA * on the pricing.

Hell people, I am poor and I bought this. I literally live in a basement and eat rats. And I bought it

I'd bitch too if it wasn't a quarter of its price in RUR :smug: I almost started a (non-)profitable reselling operation, but it's region-locked, alas.

Anyway, everytime any game costs more than $0,99, there will be people who'll say "ok, it might be a good one, but it should cost X bucks less because I know better". Whiny pussies, can't use TPB like the men do, arrrr.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
The real-time battles look nice, but they sure make it hard as hell to tell wtf is going on at times.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
g---> shows grid
3---> full battle log info
z---> slow
s---> normal speed
f---> fast
t---> ultra fast

?---> in any screen gives you the full list of hotkeys used in that part of the ui.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Which was also all available in dom4 (and even 3 to an extent). It doesn't negate the fact that battles are now harder to follow.

g---> shows grid
3---> full battle log info
z---> slow
s---> normal speed
f---> fast
t---> ultra fast

?---> in any screen gives you the full list of hotkeys used in that part of the ui.
F1 - full unit list of everyone in the battle. and from there you can select just one unit's battle log events

Mortmal

Arcane
Especially after having already bought Dom3 and 4 (and CoE) at full price. Least they could do is give a 50% coupon or sth. to owners of the previous games...

Who's making better strategy games ? Do you get anything at full price ever ?

Dayyālu

Arcane
VtM Nosferatu style or Hellraiser style?

96aada27c26df4ba031be614291ed355--in-the-basement-note.jpg

When I had time, I lacked the monies. Now I have many(lol)monies and no life. :(

Just repeat after me: "I am a productive member of society that works for 12 hours par day for shit pay but I am a productive member of society."

It helps

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

You are part of the problem.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You are part of the problem.
The problem of a customer base that doesn't feel like being ripped off?
I'm sorry, but a bunch of internal engine changes that are barely visible to the player hardly justify buying the same game the third time in a row.

What's really new here?
Real-time combat? What does that change for me? I still give orders before the battle and hope for the best. Only looking at the results is faster now, which is appreciated. But it'll hardly affect what spells I pick, etc.
Blessing mechanics? Existed before, are just a bit different now, maybe allowing some more tactics.
More races? Were previously added via patches.
More modding capabilities? Were previously added via patches.
Better looking maps? Patch material.

Of course I could afford this, anyone with a job can.
But this is a matter of principle and I'm not paying 30+€ for what has the worth of a 10-15€ expansion to me.

For someone not having played Dominions before, this might be worth the full price.
And other developers have given away their game cheaper to owners of previous games or downright gifted the new ones (which goes a bit too far ;)). That's nothing unheard of.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
● Some commanders were indeed crafty. The old stories of commanders who were lost due to an inability to retreat, thus leading to the loss of their troops, were somewhat misleading. They often retreated to a castle or other refuge, or at least to friendly lands. If they were natives of the territory this was almost certain. But the less crafty ones were likely to be lost.

Can someone translate wtf did they mean by that from the fluffian to normal human tongue?

flyingjohn

Arcane
And it is cracked already.I really hope the dev didn't refuse to put his game on gog because of piracy.
So anybody bitching about price can easily try it too see if its worth their money.

mondblut

Arcane
And it is cracked already.I really hope the dev didn't refuse to put his game on gog because of piracy.
So anybody bitching about price can easily try it too see if its worth their money.

Unlike the other games, the problem with Dominions is not whether it is cracked "already". It is whether it is cracked 6 months later.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You don't buy the game for singleplayer as the AI is not a challenge, you buy it for multiplayer.

Also you can expect ~4-5 years of free support during the time of the games life. See how long Dom4 was expanded and supported.

Its similar to the old Paradox development cycle (pre DLC) but without the many bugs.

Dayyālu

Arcane
And other developers have given away their game cheaper to owners of previous games or downright gifted the new ones (which goes a bit too far ;)). That's nothing unheard of.

C'mon, comrade, this is a tad entitled. It's 30 bucks, not 60.

I can understand some * MODDER DRAMA * but again it's 30 bucks to support devs that did patching, free nations, and have been all around good people. This ain't Star Citizen. It's 30 bucks every 5 years.

But I don't know, we can maybe finance Paradox and their healthy business practices instead. I've never managed to play a MP Paradox game, they all crash or are bordeline non-functional.

● Some commanders were indeed crafty. The old stories of commanders who were lost due to an inability to retreat, thus leading to the loss of their troops, were somewhat misleading. They often retreated to a castle or other refuge, or at least to friendly lands. If they were natives of the territory this was almost certain. But the less crafty ones were likely to be lost.

Can someone translate wtf did they mean by that from the fluffian to normal human tongue?

New retreat rules. Try losing a battle, you get a nice retreat report.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom