Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At least ripping off Brutal Doom has a chance for :incline:
Alas, the modder who made Brutal Doom is pretty mad that Id are "ripping" his original donut steal idea of 80's hyper violence.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
" yellow card system in place just with people hands instead of cards "

:nocountryforshitposters:

Trying too hard nonsense basically. Also, "yellow" card system?

And fuck Brutal Doom. That shit was never what Doom was about and the joke has gone overboard if they are modeling this new shit game over it.

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
And fuck Brutal Doom. That shit was never what Doom was about and the joke has gone overboard if they are modeling this new shit game over it.

:hmmm:

<edit>
Wait, I changed my mind. That's absolutely right. The original Doom was about three things:
- using a new, revolutionary earth- shaking 3D engine (unless you played System Shock or Ultima Underworld before)
- building upon it a FPS containing a lot of gore and monstes
- getting trucks of money immediately after release.

Brutal Doom indeed does not follow those ideals, as being a cheap 3D engine, freeware distribution. That's pity. At least the part about FPS with gore and monsters is done exceptionally well.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You heard me. Fuck that shit. "More" is better mentality defined. It may be good for what it is but it is not "real" Doom.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What is Doom all about, LS?

Derp trololo uber 80's violence of course.

Brutal Doom is no different in principle from Serious Sam, Painkiller and other failed attempts to recreate the Doom formula. It takes one single aspect of said formula and blows it out of proportions or makes it the sole and only focus. It is as if they think Doom was just an assorted collection of gimmicks that people just happen to enjoy. Large waves of enemies, violence, gore and so forth.

Brutal Doom is of course better than Serious Sam and the others purely because it uses Doom as a basis, but all it is is a fun detour from the coherence and simplicity of the original for the sake of getting laughs out of the excess. I very much like the mod for what it is but i hate when people simply assume it is a more "truer" form of the original formula. Because it isn't.

Which brings us to Doom 4, and enemies hands (trololo violance) in place of card keys.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Brutal Doom is no different in principle from Serious Sam, Painkiller and other failed attempts to recreate the Doom formula. It takes one single aspect of said formula and blows it out of proportions or makes it the sole and only focus. It is as if they think Doom was just an assorted collection of gimmicks that people just happen to enjoy. Large waves of enemies, violence, gore and so forth.

I thought Brutal Doom was just Doom with cool special effects.

Perkel

Arcane
What is the simplicity of doom ?

Because from what i remember it was mindless shooter back then + awesome gore.
Brutal doom is better than doom because it takes that gore to 11.

It's like discussing Carmagedon 2 and talk how awesome physic was + gore when reality was most of people played for awesome fucking each other and racing over pedestrians but had to bare with shitty racing physics that didn't allow cars to even turn right.

I think what you are looking is suspense which brutal doom lacks and doom had back in the day.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Brutal doom is better than doom because it takes that gore to 11.

See what i mean? Retards cannot help retarding.

Moar iz beattar lel

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

Mindless means that you do not need to think at all to go through it. Do that on the highest difficulty levels, especially on some of the more tricky maps, and I am confident you won’t go far.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Brutal Doom is of course better than Serious Sam and the others purely because it uses Doom as a basis, but all it is is a fun detour from the coherence and simplicity of the original for the sake of getting laughs out of the excess. I very much like the mod for what it is but i hate when people simply assume it is a more "truer" form of the original formula. Because it isn't.

See what i mean? Retards cannot help retarding.

Moar iz beattar lel

Your posts are full scale detour from the common sense, but there's no fun in it. Maybe except laughing out of the excessive cognitive problems. Insight into a truly beautiful mind! Maybe it's time to expand the ignore list.

From http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Doom
Primary changes

- Dramatic increase of gibs creating a much gorier atmosphere.

- 3D bloodspots allow all textures to be covered with blood, including the floor and ceiling.

- A more dynamic interface. For example, blood splashes on the screen if the player kills an enemy up close, and glass cracks or bullet holes may appear on the screen when the player gets injured.

- When the player is critically injured (30% health or lower), the screen gets stained with tiny blood splatters, and a dripping sound is played intermittently as the marine's blood drips continuously on the ground (albeit this is just a visual effect which adds to gameplay realism and does not incur in further health loss).

- New death animations for all enemies. Body parts can be torn apart by shooting at various locations on the enemy's body with powerful weapons, cut in half with the chainsaw, melted with the plasma gun, burnt into smoky scorch by fire or electricity-based attacks, and blown to dozens of gibs by explosives.

- Corpses can be further mutilated upon death. Note that this feature has been removed as of v19 in the name of bugfixing, but SgtMarkIV has stated he plans to re-add it.

- Many enemies have new attacks (more details below), and many enemy attacks do up to twice the normal damage.

- All of the standard weapons have been revamped with new graphics and sound, and most have had their functionality changed, such as by making it necessary to reload or by adding secondary functions (see below).

Gore depictions lifted up to something one expects to see in 201x. No detour from coherence and simplicity found. High possibility of massive simplicity in LS' thinking.

Implementation of headshots for all monsters
(...)
A kick attack has been added to shove enemies away from the player, similar to the one in Duke Nukem 3D
(...)
Enemy bullets now act as projectiles, albeit very fast ones, allowing the player to dodge them given sufficient time and distance.
(...)
If the player kills certain monsters by gibbing (or shreds their corpses with the chainsaw), they can sometimes take their weapons.
(...)

Gameplay improvements or additional features neutral to gameplay, the same basis.

The only plain excessive, retarded change for easily amused dimwits may be this bullshit:

The berserk pack's capabilities are greatly expanded. With it, the player can perform fatality-style finishers on monsters. Killing monsters in this way will replenish a bit of health, depending on the enemy. (...)

... which is toggleable.

Due to its excessive stupidity, I am certain THAT'S THE MAIN FEATURE ID IS GOING TO RIP OFF OUT OF THIS MOD.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Due to its excessive stupidity, I am certain THAT'S THE MAIN FEATURE ID IS GOING TO RIP OFF OUT OF THIS MOD.

That is highly likely, because it is the stupid fatalities that is probably the most popular feature of the mod. I personally want to see Doom 4 feature Brutal doom-like features, except the fatalities.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I thought Brutal Doom was just Doom with cool special effects.

Sigh. Forget the gore. To me it is a gameplay mod primarily. It significantly improves the gunplay, AI, skill cap and so on. The gore makes things more interesting just as any graphic improvement would but it is the gameplay that makes it a long lasting and CyberP-approved mod.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Your posts are full scale detour from the common sense, but there's no fun in it. Maybe except laughing out of the excessive cognitive problems. Insight into a truly beautiful mind! Maybe it's time to expand the ignore list.

From http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Doom

Gore depictions lifted up to something one expects to see in 201x. No detour from coherence and simplicity found. High possibility of massive simplicity in LS' thinking.

Gameplay improvements or additional features neutral to gameplay, the same basis.

The only plain excessive, retarded change for easily amused dimwits may be this bullshit:

... which is toggleable.

Again you fags show how retarded you are. The shit you quoted prove my point. Also the ever present Codextard fallacy. "But it makes the game harder, so it's beattar!". So fucking what. It would be just as easy to make the game harder without altering anything else, but then it wouldn't be "brutal" Doom, just regular Doom with an added difficulty setting.

But whatever. Doom > Brutal Doom. But more to the point, Brutal Doom isn't Doom except better, it is just Doom with a bunch of shit plastered all over it. Doesn't make the game better, it isn't more "true" to the game, it just offers a different experience which for me doesn't hold out as well. The end.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
But more to the point,Big Mac with triple meat isn't a better Big Mac, it is just Big mac with a bunch of meat plastered all over it. Doesn't make the fud better, it isn't more "true" to the burgers, it just offers a different experience which for me doesn't hold out as well. The end.

Fixed for tards' and local codex kwa's

Everything Brutal Doom adds either: A. Completely breaks the flow of the game, or B. is meaningless eyecandy shit for people who think its edgy to clutter the screen with blood and shit (granted this also falls under A., but its like half of Brutal Doom's changes so it deserves a category of its own).

It's a piece of shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just came here to say that DooM was fucking perfect and that anyone who thinks that adding more DooM to DooM makes the game automatically better is retarded due to their simple failure to understand the concept of "less is more."

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just came here to say that DooM was fucking perfect and that anyone who thinks adding more DooM to DooM makes the game automatically better is retarded due to their simple failure to understand the concept of "less is more."
:bro:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Doom with its auto aiming, simplistic AI, stiff, unrewarding weaponry (by today's standards) was fucking PERFECT".

Fuck off. Doom used to bore me as a 10 y/o after an episode. It was great for its time but Brutal Doom is far more engaging and I can play it again and again, unlike vanilla as a 10 y/o.

Mowing through cannon fodder (The first half of the enemy types, so ~70% of the enemies in the game) was banal-boring shit. All those AI actually pose a threat now.

Though Doom used to bore me after prolonged exposure, I still completed Doom 1, 2, plutonia experiment and Master Levels, albiet not in continues play. This was spread out over years. Brutal Doom? Bam. WAD after WAD, like a fucking addiction, and I still want more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The Codex is possibly undoubtedly retarded.

Stop being conservative fags and embrace Brutal Doom. It may have retarded 3rd person fatalities, but those can be ignored entirely. Everything else is Doom advancement. It engages me like few FPS can. Play something like TNT: Evilution with it. Every demon encounter matters.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Perfect vanilla Doom II: less is more

A mockery for anyone who got so far.

Everything Brutal Doom adds either: A. Completely breaks the flow of the game, or B. is meaningless eyecandy shit for people who think its edgy to clutter the screen with blood and shit (granted this also falls under A., but its like half of Brutal Doom's changes so it deserves a category of its own).

It's a piece of shit.

Just came here to say that DooM was fucking perfect and that anyone who thinks that adding more DooM to DooM makes the game automatically better is retarded due to their simple failure to understand the concept of "less is more."

xZeFcY2.png

Dumb mammals.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom