Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Hyperion

Arcane
I guess so you can take your main pawn from the Steam account and use him with your GOG copy of the game and vice versa, without having to go through the trouble of making a second Steam account, then using the family sharing option to do it solely via Steam. Plus you get to Support Capcom in their endless milking of the series for every dime it's worth without ever getting the satisfaction of receiving a sequel to the best game they've made in over a decade because they hate their fanbase.

:negative:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
After finishing the game over a year ago and not touching it in the meantime, I loaded up my old save, rested at the inn, and found I had a huge list of rentals and about a billion Rift Crystals, mostly from Codexers. Thanks, guys. :salute:

I'm going to start a new game, but the RC won't go to waste. I'm going to use a save editor to "transfer" that shit into my new game.

Hyperion

Arcane
I'm going to start a new game, but the RC won't go to waste. I'm going to use a save editor to "transfer" that shit into my new game.

D'oh! If you had not accepted the RCs, you could have Created a New Game then made a new Arisen and Pawn. Upon resting at an Inn your new game would have received all of the RCs, and gifts, and your Pawn would have received all of your previous Pawn's quest, area, and enemy knowledge.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

D'oh! If you had not accepted the RCs, you could have Created a New Game then made a new Arisen and Pawn. Upon resting at an Inn your new game would have received all of the RCs, and gifts, and your Pawn would have received all of your previous Pawn's quest, area, and enemy knowledge.

Well, shit. I never would have expected that.

The gifts were all crap though as one would expect, and my pawn will obtain enemy and area knowledge eventually. I think I'm going to go for a healing-focused mage pawn this time to complement my sorcerer Arisen instead of the strider/ranger pawn I ran with before, and I know healer pawns are popular for rentals.

I already know the inclination system back and forth and which ones people like, so that's not an issue.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just starting this game again, this time on PC.

I forgot how good the combat is. So fun! The only thing is i accidentally messed up my pawn's look and voice now she sounds like fast forwarded audio recording.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just starting this game again, this time on PC.
I forgot how good the combat is. So fun! The only thing is i accidentally messed up my pawn's look and voice now she sounds like fast forwarded audio recording.
I hate that. After about 400 hours you'll have access to a pawn redesign station I think.

Hyperion

Arcane
Voice can be changed with the top tier option from the Barber Shop in Gran Soren.

Jonathon, the Pawn merchant in the Encampment, sells a one time redesign for Pawn and Arisen for between 2,000 and 5,000 RCs or something.

After killing the Dragon he sells you the one you can can use any time from the Main Menu.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
Was I the only one who thought Dark Arisen was :decline:

:fuuyeah:

I remembered something else. They took out the original theme and replaced it with the generic dark singing melancholy :d1p: nonsense.

I know I'm right. Wind is pushing me.:fuuyeah:

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remembered something else. They took out the original theme and replaced it with the generic dark singing melancholy nonsense.
As a PC-only gamer, I will be forever grateful to Codex for letting me know the majesty of "Into Free". I don't hear it in the game but I put it on my road playlist. Every time I hear it it's what the fuck this kicks ass. Even the title is magnificent nonsense.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Dragon's Dogma is a Demons Souls waiting on its Dark Souls.

That is, its a rough, experimental game with some truly great ideas that need refinement and focus on its strengths in a sequel.

The pawn system alone is such a beautiful example of the originality in user created content. The fact that my own creation is off helping (or dying) in other people's worldly troubles never ceases to amuse me. And the melee and archery combat is so smooth with the use of modifier keys. Magic leaves something to be desired as its mostly just charge and release but its a great spectacle.

A proper sequel would likely be in my top five most anticipated all-time games assuming they didn't botch it right out of the gate.

mogwaimon

Magister
Dragon's Dogma is a Demons Souls waiting on its Dark Souls.

That is, its a rough, experimental game with some truly great ideas that need refinement and focus on its strengths in a sequel.

The pawn system alone is such a beautiful example of the originality in user created content. The fact that my own creation is off helping (or dying) in other people's worldly troubles never ceases to amuse me. And the melee and archery combat is so smooth with the use of modifier keys. Magic leaves something to be desired as its mostly just charge and release but its a great spectacle.

A proper sequel would likely be in my top five most anticipated all-time games assuming they didn't botch it right out of the gate.

I completely agree. Despite the fact that the game is a fairly basic fantasy ARPG on the surface, there's just some magic to the game that makes it unlike any other ARPG I've played. It's a damn shame that Dogma seems to be immune to Capcom's sequelitis, and that when they did eventually revisit Dogma it was for a JP-only online game that reportedly pales in comparison to even vanilla Dogma, much less Dark Arisen.

Perhaps it's for the best though, the only game Capcom seems to get 'right' nowadays is Monster Hunter. Dead Rising, Marvel, even Street Fighter all suffer from insane decline lately....and yet Capcom still hasn't sunk as low as Konami.

Perkel

Arcane
I replaced battle music with this to fit main theme (which also plays in battles):

RuySan

Augur
Is this game dependent on an internet connection? I s see there's a gog version, how does that works out?

Hyperion

Arcane
Connection not required. If you play offline the game has a bunch of randomly generated pawns for you to use.

They're functional, and pretty good, but nowhere near as powerful as someone who knows how to properly build one.

The other downside is your Pawn won't get rented because you can't upload your own Pawn's progress. You won't earn easy Rift Crystals, which are a separate currency that play a major role in the Dark Arisen content. Rift Crystals can be earned from killing the larger, difficult enemies found on Bitterblack Isle, but not in massive quantites like a rental.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is this game dependent on an internet connection? I s see there's a gog version, how does that works out?
If you're playing off-line, be sure to use the mod that allows you to set the primary and secondary inclinations of procedurally-generated pawns. Regardless of playing on-line or off-line, you'll also want to look up information about pawn inclinations as it's rather lacking in the game itself. Aside from not being able to use the main pawns of other players as your support pawns, the only drawback to not being on-line, as Hyperion already mentioned, is that you'll need to carefully manage your Rift Crystals for the Bitterblack Isle expansion dungeon, since the cursed items that you find there require RCs for purification, and the more powerful the category of cursed item, the more RCs the item costs to purify.

Perkel

Arcane
Also worth noting is that DD rewards consistent leveling.

Meaning that if you play whole game as warrior and only warrior your attack damage will be a lot better than someone who mix stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom