Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem Forever mod in DN3d engine

Luzur

Good Sir
Some guys made a fanmod of Duke Nukem Forever in the old Build engine, looks like they hit the mark better then that new shit too.

The game that was meant to be. As the 2001 trailer showed us. Released. Check download sections, ladies!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

Come and get sum´!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DNF was a great game.

Just kidding, it was fucking awful.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Played this about a year ago. I thought it was impressive... for a mod. But quality and difficulty are inconsistent.

It's not in the same league as Duke 3D or Duke it out in DC but I found this mod more enjoyable than Life's a Beach and Nuclear Winter.

The official DNF is an abomination. More news at 11.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
shut the fuck up dammit and play its like a new Duke 3D but in the old engine everybody likes and stuff fuck sheesh shit old school

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember someone was putting screenshots of this mod and I grabbed it immediately. It was fun, but as Ed mentions the Dam was confusing to navigate, especially at the end.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember playing that mod back when it was released and having a lot of fun with it, only regretting that it was not longer. I also got lost in the Dam, but the overall difficulty didn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

As for Duke Nukem Forever, I'm probably the only codexian sucker who bought the game at full price and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, it was nothing like Duke Nukem 3D, but if you look at it some other way, no Duke Nukem game is anything like the other. Duke Nukem 1 is a platformer, DN2 is a Run & Gun, Duke 3d is a very evolved Doom-clone. All these games are products of their eras, and so is Duke Nukem Forever.

That is quite sad, because yes, Duke Nukem Forever is greatly greatly inferior to Duke Nukem 3D. As a product of its era, DNF is a corridor shooter. But what puzzled me is that DNF got a lot of blame for a lot of corridor/popamole features all the other modern day FPS had and on which nobody blames anything.

"Durr Hurr, corridor shooter, just walk forward, gross humor and low depiction of woman, weak and basic gameplay, 3/10."
"HOLY SHIT NEW CALL OF DUTY ????? 10/10 !!!!!"

DNF sure was nothing special, but playing a popamole game with the classic duke humor was all I expected it to be. And that's what I got.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The one scene in DNF that made me almost hurl at the monitor was in Duke Burger where a shrunk Duke enters the kitchen. It opens with a wideshot of almost the entire kitchen, complete with collapsed items, shelves and whatnot, with the trapped girl in the middle.

Almost absent-mindedly I said to myself "I'm gonna end up going over every inch of this place, ain't it?"

Turned out I was absolutely right. While the switch that turns off the power is almost right in front of you, the path to it is a counter-clockwise trip through the entire kitchen, corridor shooting the entire way. I faintly recall even attempting a direct run for the switch, only to be blocked by an invisible wall and falling to my death.

DNF is a 2/10 game, but the DLC with Dr. Proton raises it to a 3/10 because it's actually funny at times.

Luzur

Good Sir
The one scene in DNF that made me almost hurl at the monitor was in Duke Burger where a shrunk Duke enters the kitchen. It opens with a wideshot of almost the entire kitchen, complete with collapsed items, shelves and whatnot, with the trapped girl in the middle.

Almost absent-mindedly I said to myself "I'm gonna end up going over every inch of this place, ain't it?"

Turned out I was absolutely right. While the switch that turns off the power is almost right in front of you, the path to it is a counter-clockwise trip through the entire kitchen, corridor shooting the entire way. I faintly recall even attempting a direct run for the switch, only to be blocked by an invisible wall and falling to my death.

DNF is a 2/10 game, but the DLC with Dr. Proton raises it to a 3/10 because it's actually funny at times.

DNF should have skipped the whole being shrinked and driving pink toy car stuff, that just isnt Duke.

Luzur

Good Sir
Huh, i never knew that there is a Duke Nukem comic out there?

P1030277.JPG

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I read a 4-issue mini-series Duke Nukem comic where he's sent back in time to aid the French Resistance against ze Germans and their alien allies.

It reads exactly as you expect it to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom