Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Idea groups: Offensive, Administrative.
If you play the newest version with all DLC never pick Offensive first. Defensive is much better in the beginning of the game because of the Morale bonus.

Morale is much better than Discipline in the early game. For the same reason you should always pick a Morale boosting military adviser during early wars.

The reason is that Discipline modifies damage and in the early game your units do little damage thus that 5% bonus means little.

Honestly I picked Offensive because of dat sweet +1 leader shock bonus, and the 10% infantry bonus which stacks with Milan's similar bonus from their national ideas.

What's the best idea group to get myself rid of all the AE? Its kinda hard to expand when a bit of expansion makes half of Europe hate my guts. The Diplo group of ideas doesn't seem very attractive to what I'm planning to play Milan as - a Land/Galley expansionist superpower trying to reunite Italy and then make a new Roman Empire, but I have a lot of diplo mana around.

Grinolf

Arcane
Honestly I picked Offensive because of dat sweet +1 leader shock bonus, and the 10% infantry bonus which stacks with Milan's similar bonus from their national ideas.

What's the best idea group to get myself rid of all the AE? Its kinda hard to expand when a bit of expansion makes half of Europe hate my guts. The Diplo group of ideas doesn't seem very attractive to what I'm planning to play Milan as - a Land/Galley expansionist superpower trying to reunite Italy and then make a new Roman Empire, but I have a lot of diplo mana around.

Diplo is very good for blobing. Aside from faster AE decay, it reduces warscore cost for provinces, which allows to take more in a war or make peace faster, if AE is an issue. Additional diplomat is usefull also for preprodusing claims on neighbors.

Influence also an option. Instead of making AE to go faster, it reduces the initial amount of AE, which I like much more. But it has a focus on vassal feeding, so you need to have multiple of them to make a full use of this idea group. Also no warscore cost reduction, which makes war more annoying with usual AI stubbornness.

Overall it's a common to take both of them for heavy expansion with additional bonus of going for HRE with bonus dip. rep. But which to take first depends on circumstances. For Italy or HRE I would personally go for Inf, because initial AE is pretty insane there and common roadblock alliances make waiting less an issue.

Beastro

Arcane
That's pretty historical actually, from what I remember in the older games, the Barbary states were total glass jaws and Portugal alone could casually rekt Morocco or any of them, and North Africa eventually became pretty much Southern Europe's playground. In history, Europeans could hold the cities in the coast, at best. European domination of North Africa only came when the French shut down the Barbary Coast in the 1820s after taking over Argelia, and that's industrial revolution age already.

There was nothing of value to conquer there to make occupation worth it. It was only with the coming of 19th Century Imperialism and real painting the map that it finally tipped things enough to make the cost worthwhile.

Before that it was the perfect pirate haven: Worthless, but situated by important trade routes with enough resources to allow the local to project a ways.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Idea groups: Offensive, Administrative. Think I'm going to pick Trade next because my next rulers will be super-high on diplo, and I'm getting good cash from trade. Also, I need the money to fund the Imperial Army of the coming Newer and Better Roman Empire. Or something that helps with Agressive Expansion, if I go on another conquest spree I'm sure everyone will fuck me up.

Trade is useless for italy, you already get the most of venice/genova nodes by conquest and taxes can already cover the bill.
Only get trade if you go for colonization.
If you really need extra gold for mercenary use, get economic.

Defensive for italy... is not that good, the attrition stuff is useless, mobility is worst stat, territory is small/fast so fort+ don't really help, lol maintenance.
Quantity is the shit, no boost will help your 20k army to win vs a 40k one or your 30k to not get destroyed right away by a 60k.

Even quality is better than defensive (even the navy+ help)

What's the best idea group to get myself rid of all the AE? Its kinda hard to expand when a bit of expansion makes half of Europe hate my guts.

Influence for wild vassalization and diploannex is the best for europe.

There was nothing of value to conquer there to make occupation worth it

To stop the damn pirate raid pop up.

On the one hand, new mission system is awesome.

On the other hand, say hello to the new method of DLC milking the game for the next 2 years.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Anglican church and coal
Good day all. I'm led to believe that it's Tuesday and as such we should be doing our weekly tease of things to come. Last week we unveiled the new mission trees to much speculation and discussion. Indeed there were many questions and one thing I want to address are those with the modding glint in their eyes who are wondering how to use this new system. To that end we'll put together a short modding guide for using the new mission system in an upcoming dev diary.

While we will be coming back to missions for a future dev diary, I want to start talking about the features which will be in the as of yet unnamed Immersion Pack due to accompany the 1.25 Update. Let's have a couple to look at today: the Anglican Church and Industrialization.

Firstly, the Anglican Church. Currently, when the reformation hits, Christianity branches out to the Protestant and Reformed faiths. Owners of the Immersion pack will find themselves with a third option appearing in the British Isles.

index.php

But what if I were to invent a belief and disguise it as my State Religion? oh ho ho ho, delightfully devilish, Henry.

After the Initial reformation hits, A strong British nation can spawn the Anglican faith in their nation. They have the option to adopt the faith, Evangelize it (spawning a Reformation centre at great financial cost) or simply to reject it. This new faith is a different branch of the Christian group, and comes with its own bonuses and Church actions.

index.php

I like my Consorts how I like my coffee. 6 MIL

Anglicanism itself grants lower development cost and better conversion rates against heretics and like Protestantism gives you a Church of <Country Name> with its own church power. Instead of adding aspects to your church though, there are direct actions you can take to gain money, mercantilism or stability for your realm. For For Rights of Man owners, two more options will be available much to your consort's dismay. You can immediately divorce your unworthy partner and marry a new local noble.

Anglicanism is primarily a following for the British Isles. It cannot be adopted as easily as Protestantism or Reformed, however it can be spread by war from a particularly Evangelist Brit, or religious rebels can force the state to adopt it.

Moving along to Industrialization now. Our story with this feature starts with our addition of Latent resource to Europa Universalis. Certain historic locations in the world contain an untapped latent deposit of coal. When the conditions of high development and the embracement of Enlightenment are fulfilled, the province will switch to this new super trade good.

index.php

Wool is tired of being looked down on. He's hitting the gym to become a truly swole trade good
  • Coal gives:
    • +20% cheaper state_maintenance (province modifier)
    • +10% Goods Produced (Trading bonus)
  • Base price is 10
  • New Manufactory (Furnace) (ADM tech 21) Does not boost goods produced by +1, but instead boosts all goods-produced in nation by 5%.
Coal is the late-game answer to Gold mines. Highly valuable with nation-wide benefits to harness, they are truly boons for any nation to seize them. Across the world there are about 50 such mines. They are shown as stripes provinces in the Trade Good mapmode. Here is the current worldwide placement

And of course, our furnace in all its glory

index.php

Handiwork of @Carlberg

Added bonus. We have consolidated manufactory listings both in the province view and macro builder as a quality of life change, so you no longer see irrelevant manufactories in the province or have to dance between manufactures to see which one will give you best bang for buck.

And finally, hawk-eyed individuals noticed last week that France's name stretched out in a way that they do not currently do in the release version of EU4. Our Magician of Optimization @Meneth stepped in to tweak out map-name generation code a touch. he has this to say:

As those of you with especially keen eyes noticed in the last dev diary, country names can now spread across sea zones.
As anyone who has played in Indonesia will know, the sea is truly the greatest enemy of good name placement. But that is no more.
Now, if a single country controls every single land province (wastelands excluded) surrounding a sea zone, the game will pretend it is part of their territory for the purposes of name placement.
There are a couple additional requirements beyond controlling every province to ensure that the results don't end up ridiculous:
- There have to be at least two different landmasses bordering the sea zone
- At least two of the bordering landmasses have to be larger than once province. Otherwise, names would stretch out to reach tiny islands, causing strange results such as Portugal's name being in the middle of the sea between Portugal proper and the Azores
The combination of these rules lead to far nicer looking names in areas with a lot of islands, while avoiding making name placement worse in areas that don't really need names stretching across sea zones."

So we finish today's dev diary with a couple examples as such:

index.php

Smiling Korea

index.php

Smiling Brunei

That's our lot this week. Tune in next week for more information and features in the upcoming 1.25 Update and accompanying Immersion Pack!

Isn't that pretty easy?

Just start as Ethiopia, stay christian until you become HRE (which is really too easy to do), then force rebels to convert you. Goth culture is weird, but it's just spending bird mana.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just seen forming Revolutionary Roman Empire. It had Revolutionary Iceland flag. Basically future commies.

Looks like in Saturday it would be the day. When he would do it for real.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Florryworry finally finished his run one culture, everyone Jewish. Karaman into HRE and make HRE Jewish. Also world conquest.
It's quite hard to accomplish it with these bugs. He was forced to restart game and load autosave to remove separatism where there shouldn't be any.

I managed to see victory in real time.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Florryworry finally finished his run one culture, everyone Jewish. Karaman into HRE and make HRE Jewish. Also world conquest.
It's quite hard to accomplish it with these bugs. He was forced to restart game and load autosave to remove separatism where there shouldn't be any.

I wouldn't even make a WC with some country like Spain or France, coalitions would kill me. I have no idea how the guy do that shit, is that some exploits? some sophisticated very detailed strategy in foresight right from the start?

I wouldn't even make a WC with some country like Spain or France, coalitions would kill me. I have no idea how the guy do that shit, is that some exploits? some sophisticated very detailed strategy in foresight right from the start?

Do you not know about admin efficiency?

Basically around halfway in to the game you'll be able to take +300% land per war and have -75% aggressive expansion for it. Then there's CBs that double the land you can take on top of this, effectively letting you destroy multiple great powers in a single war. AE is also sort of hard-limited, you'll never get any real AE with christians for killing all muslims and even in muslim land you only get it with nearby nations, so past a certain point you just chain through areas not caring because the people who could join a coalition are already dead.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just watched the new dlc video. Must say that it looks like the best one from art of war and most of the improvements are in the free patch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I oppened stream, and seen Shenryr say this:
Look, the game just came out. The game just came out. Five years ago.
There's gonna be some bugs OK. Give developers some time to take notes of what bugs people found so they try to fix them.
Just because we had pop up of having a heir, doesn't mean we actually have a heir. The pop-up that was here is fake pop up, it's not real. It's fine. Just let Paradox know their 5 year old games have bugs.

They are small company, an indie developer with 7-8 people working there, you can't rush them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So did anyone played the new dlc? With this new mission system they just showed us how lazy they were the past few years. Only fun nations that have campaigns are Kebab,France,England,Russia,Spain and Byzantium with their dlc. Byz game is really fun and relaxing game. I even became the emperor of HRE. Two PUs over rus and bur.
Untitle3333d.png

teach me master. since the change to the blockade system i just can't find a way to keep ottomans at bay (oh oh oh, funny joke).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
teach me master. since the change to the blockade system i just can't find a way to keep ottomans at bay (oh oh oh, funny joke).
By now i have got bored of fighting the kebab,i just tag switch to them and fuck them over. That way at least there is some interesting shit in the region. IF you want legit strategy,well get alliance with some small dudes,mainly alabania and begin sucking some big dicks like hungary,austria,mamluks or poland. Also build a lot of galleys.

nobody wants to be ally with byzantium, all the decent allies are too far or of a different religion, by the time you've raised relationships they've already reached the maximum number of alliances. if ottomans don't attack earlier than that, which happens quite... always. and how straits crossing works now having a big fleet is pointless, you can't block the bosphorous, you must have a bigger army, and against ottomans that will just never happen.
i don't see a way out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom