Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Expanding on ideas expressed by Taxalot in another thread AKA Sid Meiers is Potato.

OP is probably overthinking things a bit. Sid Meier did some great things back in the day for gaming, but let's face it, he has been as irrelevant for the last decade or more as Garriott, Molineux (other than for lulz), and every other legendary developer from the past. Much like in other media, you often have someone talented produce works of great skill, and then eventually use up all their creative fuel, and go on to make some weird silly shit that no one cares about. That's why he and all these other people talk about all this new fangled social BS, all of which has produced oh about zero games of note as of last count.

There is and always will be a healthy niche for more sophisticated games, so ultimately, companies and third party software empowered individuals will make games for this niche. We are kind of seeing that right now with Kickstarter and other indie-type games, but this is only the beginning, so a lot of isn't that good yet, but should eventually improve, hell, maybe even to the point where things will remind us of late 90s. We'll see...

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is no easy concept to grasp. This is very metaphysical.

OP uses expressions like "it is necessary to bring to light," "in the space which at a time," Kantian, quotes Slavoj Zizek.

Hmmm, I will update my .txt of possible academic and subversive elements.

(I agree with the general sentiment of the message, though.)

Mustawd

OP is probably overthinking things a bit. Sid Meier did some great things back in the day for gaming, but let's face it, he has been as irrelevant for the last decade or more as Garriott, Molineux (other than for lulz), and every other legendary developer from the past. Much like in other media, you often have someone talented produce works of great skill, and then eventually use up all their creative fuel, and go on to make some weird silly shit that no one cares about. That's why he and all these other people talk about all this new fangled social BS, all of which has produced oh about zero games of note as of last count.

Being in the turn based strategy space in 2016 tends to make you a bit irrelevant to the overall gaming community no matter who you are.

I remember reading about one of those conventions the codex reported from (maybe bubbles in 2015?), and literally no one was paying attention to Firaxis's XCOM2. And that was a pretty succesful game considering its genre.

Being in the turn based strategy space in 2016 tends to make you a bit irrelevant to the overall gaming community no matter who you are.

I remember reading about one of those conventions the codex reported from (maybe bubbles in 2015?), and literally no one was paying attention to Firaxis's XCOM2. And that was a pretty succesful game considering its genre.

Well, it might make you irrelevant to the mainstream websites, but if he was doing some cool stuff with actual gameplay, there would be niche sites like Codex interested in it. What was the last thing he did that involved actual innovative gameplay design? Back in 80s/early 90s, he had a ton of great stuff like Civ, Sword of the Samurai, Pirates!, etc. But after that, even the best stuff in his own franchises was done by other people, like Brian Reynolds with Alpha Centauri.

Mustawd

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry, I guess I missed your point earlier because reading is teh hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom