Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Exploring Betrayal at Krondor's Resource Files

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I've been browsing through the insides of BaK's resource files and found a couple of curious images:

nealiios, was that supposed to be Thomas? AFAIK it was never used in the game.
rWRnVyB.png

The texture used in the sewers of Krondor, but this one with a graffiti. A love message (M+S)?
yW1ueWN.png

Another graffiti (left: ? right: Betrayal 1993)
s7sldco.png

Last edited:

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Doesn't this come up when Growth "returns" to Elvandar? If not, could have been part of a dialogue later on. I'm pretty sure I wrote something for him.

As far as the sewer walls go, those are both part of an Easter Egg. You only saw those if you held down the Shift key (I think) while you fall into any of the pits.

M + S was a reference to Michelle plus Steve, I.e. Michelle and Steve Cordon. Steve was one of the three principal programmers.

Joseph would be Joseph Muennich who was one of the assistant designers.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I always wondered who the Priestess of Eortis was in real life

HGvav2N.jpg
I always assume most "hot babes" in early video games almost always look like Cindy Crawford. Not surprising, she had a very 80's look and her signature mole and things.

crawford.png

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Something I used to do back in the day was open the krondor.001 file, which, amongst a whole bunch of "garbage", also contained all the text in the game, completely unencoded. I do recall finding some text which I've never actually encountered in the game - maybe some cut content? - about someone opening a box and a bright flash, and no, it wasn't the standard text you get when you open a trapped chest. There was also a funny note apparently left by one programmer to another about some game development business of the day and a dog named Satan. Though I just checked the file from the CD version right now and couldn't find it, maybe it was only there in the disk version.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I've compiled the xBak open source engine. It has a couple of tools to extract and view resources.

Sorry for necroing an old thread. Do you recommend playing Krondor with xBak, or should I just run the DosBox version I got from Steam?

First time playing the game.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
xBak is not really finished, so just play whatever DOS version you have. Also yes, follow oasis789's guide and set up the music/sounds right. It would be a shame missing on those.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I've compiled the xBak open source engine. It has a couple of tools to extract and view resources.

Sorry for necroing an old thread. Do you recommend playing Krondor with xBak, or should I just run the DosBox version I got from Steam?

First time playing the game.

Remember to use my music guide

trying to follow the guide now, although I can't find some of the files. I'll try to figure it out.

EDIT: all the files are there, just packed differently I guess. The patch works and the sound is awesome, thanks for your guide!

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
This guy wrote a guide how to edit your savefile to progress the bugged mind melt spell quest
So, as you know by now, the Mind Melt spell is "impossible" to get in the patched version 1.02 of the game. This is the version GoG has, as well as the free abandonware version from before that. And (I think) the CD version - basically everything except the original floppy version.

This spell was ONLY available by completing a mini-quest in Dencamp on the Teeth. In one house, a "red haired" guy gives you a password to tell the guard house just north of him. It's the wrong password, though. Originally, you go back to him, intimidate him, and he gives you the correct password - "diamond". Unfortunately, for some reason, in version 1.02 - the only version you will ever play, most likely - he is no longer at the house, and you cannot get he correct password, thus you can never finish this quest or get the "Mind Melt" spell. EVER.

This is a great spell, so I messed around with the hex a little and figured out how to fix/advance the quest REALLY simply.

After you start the quest, and are told "golden treasure" is the wrong password, make a save. Then, open it with any simple hex editor. I used HxD. Go to line (or "offset") AC0 (listed as "00000AC0"). The 6th digit will be a "4" (so, like, xx xx x4 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx will be the full line). Just change the "4" to a "C". Save the file. Exit. That's all. Just load your game, and go talk to the guy now. He will give you the right password and allow you to finish the quest and get the spell.

I wish I knew how to make a .exe patch file you would simply run on your save file to change this one hex digit, but I have no clue lol. So good luck! And have fun :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom