Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Tactics: turn based OFF, Individual or Squad?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The main problem with FT is the lack of terrain destruction and lack of use of lockpick skill to open doors to vulnerable enemy areas.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I agree with most of what you said, except this. FT in CTB mode isn't really like Diablo. You don't have a squad that can hold formations in Diablo. You don't have marquee select, and view is locked centered on hero. In Diablo you individually target enemies and click on them until they die, in FT CTB they auto-attack based on formation, sentry mode (passive/aggressive) and stance (stand/crouch/prone).

The thing is, on the normal difficulty (and, frankly, I don't think that Tactics merits anything higher than that) you can pretty much solo the majority of the maps - you don't need the party, the stances, the sentry ambushes & all other tactical stuff. Honestly, I tried to play a commander/noncombat char in the spring (when I was researching for my funbuilding) and I haven't even found much opportunities for the trap usage - after all, most enemies don't patrol, they just sit in their trenches. And ones that do patrol are usually easily killed without such intricacies. So while I could theoretically lure someone onto the mines, what was the point? It's just easier to run around the map solo, punching enemies to the death. And when solo doesn't work, usually two characters is all it takes. Do you know that two girls easily fist behemoth to its death?

Watch two and a half minutes of this video and you'll see how hardcore it is.

Honestly, no offense to anyone in the thread, but all of this attempts to play Tactics tactically is nothing but LARP. They can be enjoyed that way if you're into that (but then, people larp because larping is fun for them, lol), but it's just the game of pretending - there's nothing tactical about the game, unfortunately. The final fight pretty much sums up the game - there's no intricate strategies or anything, it's just "there's a room with barnaky and full of robots & shit - BUMRU-U-USH!!!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom