Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Felipepepe is unpleasant and points fingers - I wrote yet another rant on Gamasutra

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I read that Shamus Young's article before, but I just can't agree with it. Never found a single game I can't run.

Even stuff like Breath of Fire IV and ZanZarah - which took me days to run properly - I can now play perfectly by using Virtual Machines, D3D Windower or DxWndt.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
BTW - and I'm surprised no one has "pointed" this out before - but the title of this thread is wrong.

One of the following is correct:

# Felipepepe is unpleasant and points fingers
# Felipepepe is unpleasant and is pointing fingers
# Felipepepe is unpleasant and points his finger

Pick one, and correct the typo. Ranting felipepepe doesn't care much for spelling ( ;) ) but that doesn't excuse the rest of the Codex.

omega21

Arcane
I wonder why no one commented there yet... is it really too long for anyone to read? :/
L2GameJourno, read some Kotaku articles and take notes. Patricia Hernandez knows how to write articles that get the plebs commenting. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/gaming-made-me-fallout-2/

This article was so fucking vapid I wanted to puke and got angry after the first few paragraphs.

God damn it that was just so self centred.

omega21

Arcane
People who shit on preservation because LOL NO VALUE are so far up their own rectums you have to lower food in with a crane. That fucking RPG Watch shit. 'History is a burden'? Are these kids or something, because that was some retarded ass-backwards intellectual shittery just to justify their laziness and inability to look beyond their own asscheeks.

ALTERNATIVELY they are just trying to act intelligent online, lol look guyz, I have an edgy opinion in response to the wall of text, hue hue, upboat pls

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
ALTERNATIVELY they are just trying to act intelligent online, lol look guyz, I have an edgy opinion in response to the wall of text, hue hue, upboat pls

They're about 16 years too late with the "edgy" attitude. Ironic, ain't it?

omega21

Arcane

They're about 16 years too late with the "edgy" attitude. Ironic, ain't it?

That shit always happens online nowadays, but I don't think it would have flown 16 years ago either.

Fuck, as someone studying history this flippant-ass attitude really pissed me off.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That shit always happens online nowadays, but I don't think it would have flown 16 years ago either.

But it did. I didn't say that because I felt like talking out of my ass for a moment to kick yours. (Oh the edginess of that sentence! ;) )

I said it because recently I went through a small pile of old gaming magazines, of which many were dated between late 1996 and up to 1999. Many of them were CRAMMED with advertisements, and most of those were PACKED with that same attitude. "Become the new face of evil in the universe (and look at the competition!)" was an ad slogan for some Star Wars game around that time that featured a rogue's gallery of weird-looking aliens and characters from Star Wars. "Now you can see the exit wound as well!" was the ad slogan for Take No Prisoners. An ad featuring a scantily-clad woman in a fetal position had a piece of text: "There are seven cardinal sins, you're commiting one of them right now", and tons others of a similar ilk.

And I'm just skimming the surface. Did you catch the Command & Conquer ad where players like Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Ghengis Khan and Jacques Chirac had high scores on the game? Or the racing game that had the slogan "Score speed from your local dealer right now!"?

Little bits of history, see. Yes, it's the bits most people don't want you to remember, but there you go.

Nostaljaded

Savant
It's a tricky subject... there's a lot of really rare games floating around, but they are so hard to pin-point. Like, how many people archived things like that Generation Xth fan-translation, or the extremely obscure translation of Chinese Paladin?

I spent like 3 days hunting that last one, and had to PM a forum member to send me a download link. But it's not something I can just go and share. :/

Actually, The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin is officially released as a portable freeware package.
(It's the Chinese Simplified PAL98 aka the easier than DOS version)

Could someone start a new thread for me as Kool Kodex Krew LGBT Kuineas are sought after for the ENG-patched testing?
If everything worked as expected, may post the translation-only files in romhacking or similiar site for archival purposes.
(Don't think I have the privileges to do so... Oh, the ENG translated files was provided by Felipepepe's sources and I will be including some 'panny fack' goodies as well)

Once the thread is up, will post the download link and some add. info this coming weekend™.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW - and I'm surprised no one has "pointed" this out before - but the title of this thread is wrong.

One of the following is correct:

# Felipepepe is unpleasant and points fingers
# Felipepepe is unpleasant and is pointing fingers
# Felipepepe is unpleasant and points his finger

Pick one, and correct the typo. Ranting felipepepe doesn't care much for spelling ( ;) ) but that doesn't excuse the rest of the Codex.
Eh, he's a huehue, let him habla ingles as he wants to. Plus it's funny.

Zeriel

Arcane
That RPGWatch thread is amazing.

"Why did you write about these boring old RPGs? I don't care about old games. None of this matters."

Are they IGN now or something? I mean I always understood they were popamole, but why do they even bother following nostalgia-led Kickstarters and classic RPGs if they don't give a shit about games history?

Reading the rpg watch comments brought to me the horrifying image of people going "Caesar's De Bello Gallico? Marc Aurelius Meditations? Nah, who cares about that old stuff, why should we preserve it? It's just a burden for the future generations."

This is actually what a lot of Christians and Italians were doing for centuries.

"Fucking pagan trash, throw it in the fire."

"LMAO, look at these works of art done in marble and ivory, let's tear it apart and melt it down for quicklime. :')"

Last edited:

Fray

Novice
Read the article, as a hoarder it strikes home and makes me feel ashamed, that I'm not doing enough.

Then I went the extra mile and read the comments over at RPGWatch. The quote you left there Don Peste is golden, sums up their ignorant attitudes quite nicely:

Combine that with the classic "Those whom do not study history are doomed to repeat it" and we have one of Mankind's greatest failings. Man doesn't give a fuck about history, yet we wouldn't be here without it.

So as I've said before quite recently, EVERYTHING should be archived.

(On that note, someone shoot this Dartagnan guy, what an ignorant fuck.)

But I AM doing a little here, a little there.

Case in point, a game called Legend, known in the USA as The Four Crystals of Trazere, a little-known isometric RPG from 1992 that's not much talked about nowadays. I own a boxed copy of it, and decided to see what info I could find online about it, and one paragraph of the Wiki article mentions the demo for the game (and its sequel). The demo has unique content, not present in the full game itself. And it was ONLY released on the coverdisk for the first issue of PC Home. (A similar unique content demo was made for the sequel the year after and also only released on a PC Home coverdisk.)

Sooo...anyone know where to get a copy of that demo? Or the one for the sequel?

*tumbleweed intensifies*

Anyway, that got me thinking to the time many years ago when I found the Space Quest 6 demo on a coverdisc (which is also a unique content game demo) and asked the guys over at The Virtual Broomcloset if they wanted it. "YES!" was the answer, and I had to spend some time filtering out the files on the disc that didn't belong to the game and then upload an 80 Mb file to them. (Shortly afterwards I was contacted by an SQ fan who asked to buy the coverdisc from me, which I agreed to.) Odds are good that the only reason the SQ6 demo is accessible today is because of my efforts back then.

So yeah, I'm gonna continue being the old codger in the attic with the dusty magazines and game boxes, yelling at 1337 gamer kidz to git off ma lawn and making sure this stuff survives for coming generations.

Dang I never knew about the Legend demo. I looked into it briefly and noticed I couldn't find anything about a magazine called PC Home. Is that actually it's real name or is it just too generic? Does anyone happen to know anything about PC Home or remember it?

I really want to find that demo now.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Very cool article felipepepe

Santa EfigĂŞnia

Btw I googled that, and found this:
VkajRL.gif

exe

Augur
Even stuff like Breath of Fire IV and ZanZarah - which took me days to run properly - I can now play perfectly by using Virtual Machines, D3D Windower or DxWndt.
Zanzarah, the fairy pokemon game? Did you get it to run in widescreen without fucking it all up?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What is your position on Pillars of Eternity?
ENCOUNTER DESIGN

Actually, The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin is officially released as a portable freeware package.
(It's the Chinese Simplified PAL98 aka the easier than DOS version)
Yeah, but that's in Chinese. I have a fan-translated english version.

Zanzarah, the fairy pokemon game? Did you get it to run in widescreen without fucking it all up?
Yup. Just use DxWndt

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Dang I never knew about the Legend demo. I looked into it briefly and noticed I couldn't find anything about a magazine called PC Home. Is that actually it's real name or is it just too generic? Does anyone happen to know anything about PC Home or remember it?

I really want to find that demo now.

At this point I think we're down to 2 options:

# Contact the editor of the wiki page and ask where that reference comes from. (He's only listed by an IP on Wiki, though.)
# Contact Anthony "Tag" Taglione and see if he either knows about the demos, or still has them.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The Four Crystals of Trazere
I should finish it one day. Started to lose interest when random encounters (aka reinforcements) started to spawn too often, right in the middle of clearing dungeon room from inhabitants.
At least it has a very good map. :M
BTW, how it's overall? I still in early game, I think, second or third dungeon? Can't remember now...

Fray

Novice
Well I found the Legend demo but I'm not sure where to start looking for the demo of the sequel.

After looking through Google a few hours I found that the demo (of Legend that is) was also on a magazine called Amiga Power. If anyone is interested in checking it out then Google "Amiga power magazine demo cover disc" and you should be able to find it easily enough. The specific disc it's included on is 14a. Obviously you'll need to emulate an Amiga to be able to play it. From the few minutes I played it it fit the description on the Wikipedia article. One thing to note is that the load times are kinda long and when you go into the dungeon you'll get a black screen while it loads. (At first I thought it didn't work) Another thing, after you select the Legend demo it will sit there and play music for quite a while before it lets you play. I would suggest increasing the floppy drive speed to max. Also the dungeon is in the temple vaults in case that's not apparent.

By the way, thanks Unkillable Cat for mentioning it. Now to just find the other demo.

buzz

Arcane
Are they IGN now or something? I mean I always understood they were popamole, but why do they even bother following nostalgia-led Kickstarters and classic RPGs if they don't give a shit about games history?
Let's be honest here, it's not like the Codex gives that much of a shit either.

I mean, look at the thread felipepepe did on PLATO RPGs last year. 2 pages of discussion and only 20/30 brofists for his very well researched and in-depths posts.

I've seen shitposts in GD with more brofists than that. Not to mention the Fallout 4 thread which has almost 40 pages since Tuesday night.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom