Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that troll their players

Severian Silk

Have we had this thread yet?

The only ones I can think of are STALKER: SoC, with its "troll endings", and this game which Unkillable Cat talks about in another thread:

Unkillable Cat said:
The first Batman video game ever made ("Batman '3D'" by Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummond) is one endless barrage of cheesy trolling from the devs. We're talking I Wanna Be The Guy! levels of cheese here. Let me give you a couple of examples:

batman.png

This is one of the first screens of the game, and a vital one as the first part of the game involves Batman gathering his gear. The boots on the right allow Batman to jump, which is the only way he'll be able to get back up to the grey conveyor-belt platforms you see (not to mention allowing Batman to go "against the flow" on such platforms. That grey baddie walks up and down the blue bricks, back and forth, nothing more, but as much as touching him costs Batman a life.

So how do you solve this room?

Well obviously, you use the blue bricks that jut out from the path to stand and wait while the patrolling baddie walks past...and here is where one of MANY trollings take place. The first blue brick, right next to the conveyor belt (and almost completely obscured by Batman's presence) is perfectly normal and harmless. The second one, however, disappears with a *POOF!* and causes Batman to fall to the spiked floor below, costing him a life. The third tile doesn't disappear - it's a hidden conveyor belt that pushes Batman back onto the path! So the correct answer is to stand on the first block, wait until the baddie is walking back towards the boots, then walk behind him on the path until you reach the third block, then step onto that and KEEP WALKING ONTO IT. That way Batman should be out of harm's way when the baddie turns around and walks past. Repeat the process to get back and out. Fortunately the boots only need to be grabbed once.

Not enough? Try this screen:

batman2.gif

Those pink dogs patrol in a clockwise direction, always turning right when they hit a wall or object. Touching them costs Batman a life. But see all those green blocks? Touching them ALSO costs Batman a life! Batman can't touch ANYTHING in this room or he'll lose a life, yet he needs to navigate around an object in a tight space, while having a funky-looking dog on his heels. This screen is about 2 screens away from the previous screen I showcased, and is a common layout for many other screens you'll encounter in the game.

Keep in mind that at this point we're not even out of the Bat-Cave yet - and the game revolves around finding the 7 parts of the Batmobile so that Batman can go rescue Robin! Fortunately their next game, Head Over Heels, is MUCH more forgiving than this.

Jazz_

Arcane
in VTMB there's a ''troll'' ending with a giant werewolf dancing. No ending credits or plot resolution, you are stuck with a giant dancing werewolf, forever.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anything Yoko Taro makes.

Especially Drakengard 1. If you collect every weapon in the game and get every other ending (which is a pain in the ass) you get:

Teleported to modern day Tokyo where you beat the final boss by playing a very difficult game of Simon that can easily insta-kill you.

After beating it, you and your dragon are shot down by the Japanese air force and killed. The end.

And Nier, which is actually a really good game, is a sequel to that ending. [\spoiler]

Drakengard 3 had a similar and even harder boss fight.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shobon Action, or Cat Mario. Along the likes of I Want To Be The Guy of just random nonsensical platforming challenges at every turn.

pippin

Takeshi's Challenge : Beat your hysterical wife and her minions Edition.

A delightful troll designed by my Lord and Saviour Takeshi Kitano, featuring a glorious karaoke minigame.

The game is a big fuck you to most videogame conventions because Kitano hates/d videogames (he is somewhat of a luddite, which is weird since he works in cinema). The voice parts went as well as you might have expected for a system like the NES (although even in Bynary Domain they were fucked up). All in all certainly one of the most unique games of all time.

laclongquan

Arcane
back to topic

Silent Storm Sentinels

The end game we have two choices: a nearly suicidal frontal charge to draw enemy's attention And a stealth approach inside.

If you let Boris be the sacrificial pawn, you get stealth mission where you shot the traitor in the face, while watching the poor bastards being massacred by robots. The ending credits seem to imply that you can do nothing after that and suicide. What the fuck, right?

However, if we are the sacrificial pawns, we got a massive two stage assault battles cuminate on a ambushed fight with THREE robots. Bring out your best: explosive, guns, skills, because you will get slaughter otherwise. Truly an ending climax. And you still get to the control room in time to watch Boris shoot the traitor. ending narration is normal.

Yep, russian trolls!

Ash

Arcane
Ghosts 'n' Goblins/Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (1988): complete the game only to not save the girl and be sent right back to the beginning to do it all again with increased enemy spawn rate and new obstacle & enemy placement. No saves. No passwords.

It's actually a good thing for longevity in a sense (and milking player's money in the original arcade version, which was surely the prime intention there), but still one of the biggest trollings when it happens to you for the first time.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
^Still better than a achievement/trophy out of principle...but I bet it gives you one of those too.

Delbaeth

Learned
In Wasteland, the very last promotion (aka 'level') is Supreme Jerk.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

I dunno if this was in the original game or just a Wesp5 patch addition.

Wow, and I thought the dog endings in the Silent Hill games were weird.

Eternal Darkness has a lot of trolling stuff as a game mechanic up to and including telling you your save is corrupted.

Eternal Darkness is a game I'll never forgive myself for not playing. Unfortunatly i don't even remember what happened to my GameCube but if I got it back I would play that game first.

Delbaeth

Learned
Not sure if it fits, but Dark Savior with its different parallels (you need to finish the game multiple times, starting all over again to have different ending, with for each time a slighty different story, to finally have the true ending), trolls the player, and even let the player through its PC to troll other NPCs and the game itself (during the last parallel).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom